Player Discussion Ilya Mikheyev

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Hello Folks,

Notice we didn’t have a thread on Ilya. What are your thoughts on his play so far?

I actually like him as an addition. On pace for about 55ish points. Has shown chemistry w the top lines and plays well on the PK. A decent to good value for his contract.

Thoughts?

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Hello Folks,

Notice we didn’t have a thread on Ilya. What are your thoughts on his play so far?

I actually like him as an addition. On pace for about 55ish points. Has shown chemistry w the top lines and plays well on the PK. A decent to good value for his contract.

Thoughts?

Generally works his bag off, has good wheels, two-way ability, the works - I like him a lot. One of the few players that seems ready to work every single night.

Reactions: Bobby9

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He's been an excellent signing.

Quality two-way winger, improves our speed and defensive play, on pace for nearly 50 ES points. Has been great value for under $5 million.

Reactions: Vector and Bobby9

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes i'm pretty happy with Ilya. Thought we maybe overpaid a 1 million or so but if he keeps up what he's doing he's an excellent 2nd tier support piece and well worth his contract

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Very happy with this guy. He's a positive influence on any line he's on.
It was unfortunate that he started the season with the leg injury in the pre-season, but he keeps getting better. Great wheels.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The parallel universes for Mikheyev and Garland are interesting to chart. Mickeyev was one of the first UFA signings of the new management team; while Garland was acquired and then overpaid by Benning and company as one of their last deals. The comparison this season is pretty jarring.

No matter how down you might be on the current management group; you'd have to say that there's a light year of difference between the players they're acquiring now versus the old regime.

Kuzmenko is a 'home run' as UFA signing; and guys like Dermott; Studnicka, Lazar, Joshua and Pederson have proved to decent depth guys. But more importantly, they're being paid at a scale that befits their role on the roster.

As for the previous regime, signings like Beagle, Schaller, Beagle, Roussel and a host of depth d-man were ridiculously overpaid and contributed virtually nothing. And this happened season after season.

Reactions: MarkMM and Grantham

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Penalty killing - Petey and Miller are logging extra mileage because they're so good at it. It reminded me that we don't want to forget about Ilya Mikheyev. Still can't believe how he played with that injury.

PK is his specialty, and I'm looking forward to seeing him at his best next season. I hope he has a full recovery and gets to show off those great wheels. We'll need that against McDavid.

Reactions: Play

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Mikheyev played most of the season on a bum knee, and still found a way to be fairly effective. If he'd been healthy, he'd have easily surpassed the 21 goals he scored last year for the Leafs.

Definitely a player to appreciate when he comes back fully healthy to training camp.

Reactions: Peen

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Penalty killing - Petey and Miller are logging extra mileage because they're so good at it. It reminded me that we don't want to forget about Ilya Mikheyev. Still can't believe how he played with that injury.

PK is his specialty, and I'm looking forward to seeing him at his best next season. I hope he has a full recovery and gets to show off those great wheels. We'll need that against McDavid.

He's basically achieved the bare minimum given his contract.

I'm not going to rag on him given his injury, but our PK was historically bad when he was playing. It's not his fault per se, but I'm not going to gush about him either.

He needs to both fully recover and be better than he was this season before I pick up the pom-poms.

Reactions: Gurn

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010

I'm not going to rag on him given his injury, but our PK was historically bad when he was playing. It's not his fault per se, but I'm not going to gush about him either.

He needs to both fully recover and be better than he was this season before I pick up the pom-poms.
Got it. No pom-poms for you. :D

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Mikheyev played most of the season on a bum knee, and still found a way to be fairly effective. If he'd been healthy, he'd have easily surpassed the 21 goals he scored last year for the Leafs.

Definitely a player to appreciate when he comes back fully healthy to training camp.
I'm very excited to see Mikheyev next season with his speed back up. Seemed like he wasn't even at 70% with his skating.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009

The f? LOL

Dude had 13 goals and 28 points in 46 games (with a bad knee that required surgery) and was one of our bright spots during the Bruce fiasco.

He's 4th in goal scored behind the big three, despite missing almost 20 games.

Bare minimum is crazy - he was way better than Garland and Boeser (who both make more money than him) this year.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Mikheyev was worse than expected on the PK - likely because his wrecked knee prevented him from doing quick stop-starts following the play as well as normal - but as good or better than expected at ES despite playing on one knee.

Reactions: Vector

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
The f? LOL

Dude had 13 goals and 28 points in 46 games (with a bad knee that required surgery) and was one of our bright spots during the Bruce fiasco.

He's 4th in goal scored behind the big three, despite missing almost 20 games.

Bare minimum is crazy - he was way better than Garland and Boeser (who both make more money than him) this year.
He's a winger signed to 4 X $4.75M contract. He was on a 50 point pace. That's marginally better than Garland but significantly worse than Boeser in terms of offensive production. I'm not suggesting it's a bad contract, but it's not reasonable to call it a great contract at this point.

When he was signed, I said that he'd need to put up 20-25 goals per season to justify it. So, he's accomplished that, sorta, this season. You can't pay wingers that kind of money if they don't produce at least at that pace.

The thing with Mikheyev, though, is that he was expected to improve the Canucks PK. It was a significant part of the rationale behind pursuing him as a UFA (along with size and speed). That didn't happen. Injury or no, the Canucks' PK was historically bad while he was playing. Which is why I say that he needs to be better next season to justify his contract.

So yeah, up to this point, Mikheyev is meeting the bare minimum when it comes to expectations given his contract.

JohnHodgson

May 6, 2009
He's a winger signed to 4 X $4.75M contract. He was on a 50 point pace. That's marginally better than Garland but significantly worse than Boeser in terms of offensive production. I'm not suggesting it's a bad contract, but it's not reasonable to call it a great contract at this point.

When he was signed, I said that he'd need to put up 20-25 goals per season to justify it. So, he's accomplished that, sorta, this season. You can't pay wingers that kind of money if they don't produce at least at that pace.

The thing with Mikheyev, though, is that he was expected to improve the Canucks PK. It was a significant part of the rationale behind pursuing him as a UFA (along with size and speed). That didn't happen. Injury or no, the Canucks' PK was historically bad while he was playing. Which is why I say that he needs to be better next season to justify his contract.

So yeah, up to this point, Mikheyev is meeting the bare minimum when it comes to expectations given his contract.

Dude was still productive playing on bad knee that required surgery.

The f you talking about LOL

$4.75M is not that much for a middle six winger man. Are you still living with 2005 salaries in your head or something?

Dude was way better than Boeser this year - are you even watching the actual games? Boeser is better on paper but he also gets PP time and is horrible defensively. Do you think having ECHL level goaltending might have played a part in the historically bad PK?

Dude wasn't AMAZING, but he was definitely pretty good in his role. I think he surpassed a lot of people's expectations. Also... you have to put some context... his contract was a UFA contract, meaning we have to overpay a little bit to get him to sign.

Bare minimum is pretty laughable when given the context... agree to disagree.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
Dude was still productive playing on bad knee that required surgery.

The f you talking about LOL

$4.75M is not that much for a middle six winger man. Are you still living with 2005 salaries in your head or something?

Dude was way better than Boeser this year - are you even watching the actual games? Boeser is better on paper but he also gets PP time and is horrible defensively. Do you think having ECHL level goaltending might have played a part in the historically bad PK?

Dude wasn't AMAZING, but he was definitely pretty good in his role. I think he surpassed a lot of people's expectations. Also... you have to put some context... his contract was a UFA contract, meaning we have to overpay a little bit to get him to sign.

Bare minimum is pretty laughable when given the context... agree to disagree.

Is there a specific reason you default to insult as a discussion tactic?

All I've really said was that Mikheyev has performed at the least level one would hope for given the money and term of his contract. It's an observation, not a criticism. Not sure why you're so invested in this player's contract, to be honest.

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area
5+3 in 9 games and +6 rating this season

36 points and +9 in 55 games for Vancouver in total

What’s your take on this guy ?

Horvat1C

Oct 2, 2015
It's odd because to me it looks like he's still half a step slower than he used to be on the forecheck. There have been multiple times this year where he and his defender on shoulder to shoulder chasing a puck and Mikheyev doesn't get there first, which is surprising since speeding into and out of battles is his biggest strength. I would attribute it to a combination of lack of conditioning considering he was out of NHL action for 9 months and some hesitation after his injury, which is fair for an athlete.

The good news is that even with that in consideration he's been an effective player and produced in a prime position in the lineup.

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
An acquisition I was very wrong about. I thought he'd be a 2nd/3rd line tweener that would be a decent player for the team but overpaid, and the money would have been better spent elsewhere.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I've never had ligament damage in my knees, thank Gawd, so I'm probably one of those people who underestimates how tough it is to come back from reconstructive knee surgery.

Trainers, players and coaches all say it takes at least a year; and maybe longer if there's damage to posterior and anterior ligaments. So understandably Mikheyev was tentative when he first returned to action.

But you can see with every passing game, that his trademark speed through the neutral zone is returning. That line of Petey, Kuzmenko and Mikheyev is poised for a huge season.

Wildcarder

Oct 21, 2008
Toronto
An acquisition I was very wrong about. I thought he'd be a 2nd/3rd line tweener that would be a decent player for the team but overpaid, and the money would have been better spent elsewhere.
You're not entirely wrong, he's just this with chemistry with Pettersson and Kuzmenko. He may not be overpaid but hasn't had enough time healthy to prove that wrong yet.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad