Ilya Kovalchuk

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I didn't really follow hockey as closely as I do now 2-3 years ago (I'd look at tsn every now and then). Was there a feeling we had a chance to either sign Kovi in the offseason or trade for him at the trade deadline?

Not really given both his believed demands and Atlanta's demands for him at the time. I am sure the Holland haters will come up with something, but it was pretty unrealistic to think he would come here.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
Not really given both his believed demands and Atlanta's demands for him at the time. I am sure the Holland haters will come up with something, but it was pretty unrealistic to think he would come here.

That's what I thought, he was traded for Oduya+Bergfors+Cormier+2010 1st & 2nd what would have been the equivalent package from us? I'm also thinking we didn't offer him a 90M+ contract like the Isles, Devils or Kings?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That's what I thought, he was traded for Oduya+Bergfors+Cormier+2010 1st & 2nd what would have been the equivalent package from us? I'm also thinking we didn't offer him a 90M+ contract like the Isles, Devils or Kings?

The 100 million dollar figure was very important to Kovy. I remember most people thought he was going to the Kings back then, it just didn't happen.

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
IIRC, we didn't have the cap space for him.

It's an interesting trade though that doesn't get re-visited as often as it should.

Ilya Kovalchuk for... *drum roll*

Johnny Oduya
Niclas Bergfors
Patrice Cormier
1st Round Pick

Reminds me of the Tigers deal for Miguel Cabrera. Marlins got a bunch of crap in hindsight.

DatsyukToZetterberg

Alligator!
Apr 3, 2011
Island of Tortuga
IIRC, we didn't have the cap space for him.

It's an interesting trade though that doesn't get re-visited as often as it should.

Ilya Kovalchuk for... *drum roll*

Johnny Oduya
Niclas Bergfors
Patrice Cormier
1st Round Pick

Reminds me of the Tigers deal for Miguel Cabrera. Marlins got a bunch of crap in hindsight.

Most trades end up like that though, look at the Hossa trade, or the Brad Richards trade. Rarely do both teams get the best of it. Although the Kovi trade did play a large role in Atlanta getting Byfuglien.

I was looking at some blogs and the people were suggesting things like Rask+Wheeler+Tor 2010 1st for Kovi+Hedberg, or Sharp+Versteeg for Kovi. (Though this guy in the blog just had cash in one of the trades... so take those for what they are)

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
What are the chances the Devils use an amnesty buy-out on Kovi? If they do you'd hope Holland would throw a nice chunk of change his way. We buy out Mule and get Kovi instead? That would be an awesome trade up IMO.

Bert-Pavs-Kovi
Fil-Z-Brunner

That would be pretty badass. :nod:

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
What are the chances the Devils use an amnesty buy-out on Kovi? If they do you'd hope Holland would throw a nice chunk of change his way. We buy out Mule and get Kovi instead? That would be an awesome trade up IMO.

Bert-Pavs-Kovi
Fil-Z-Brunner

That would be pretty badass. :nod:

At 2/3 that is still going to be well over 50 million dollars for a club that has fired bankruptcy. They cannot afford to do that at all.

Not to mention once he was bought out, he would probably leave for Russia.

On the trade we don't have enough value to deliver him without making me sick to my stomach and I am a big Kovy fan. Wouldn't need to buyout Franzen guessing the Devils would like his cost certain contract in that package. Problem is the two firsts Nyquist, Sproul, Janrkrok and another roster player they would want for him. He is signed after all.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad