Rumor: Ilya Kovalchuk will be signing a 2-3 year deal with NYR

Status
Not open for further replies.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
How can any of you be in favor of that given RangersTown™ history?

Look...

Signing Kovy is not in order to "get our Russians over here". It's do have a huge name to please the pestilence between 7th and 8th.

Pls no to the signing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rangers2319

Jul 15, 2008
CT
How can any of you be in favor of that given RangersTown™ history?

Look...

Signing Kovy is not in order to "get our Russians over here". It's do have a huge name to please the pestilence between 7th and 8th.

Pls no to the signing.

bc its a no lose situation to sign him, don't be a stubborn person who is stuck on "youth" you need veterans on the team

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: KOVALEV022473

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Exactly. Ask the Wild how their #1 pool worked out in 2012 when Dumba/Granlund /Brodin at around 10th overall were their gems. Now their "contention" is due to E Staal and giving monstrous deals to Parise and Suter.
Yup, scary thing is, those players are all pretty good. It's extremely hard to pick up an elite player outside the top 5 unless you're Tampa.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
That's all true. However, what of the teams that took the "long term approach" and still suck? I mean neither approach is a guarantee to get you back to where you want to be.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
The Underrated part of this. This will help shesty and rykov come over, but Nikitia Gusev is a ufa come next year. I wonder if this helps us acquire him.

Why?

This isn't the fall of the iron curtain late 80s. Russian players are not afraid to be millionaires in other cities unless you bring in an old comrade from the Warsaw Pact first.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I don't think the team is going to be actually competent until defensive reinforcements arrive. I really don't think a potential top 4 of Skjei-Shattenkirk, Staal-Pionk next year is going to cut it.
Definitely need to address that, and I would expect the team to find someone to bring in that can play competent top-four minutes. I also expect the defense to look better, even with the roster as it currently stands, with a new coach and a less-demanding system.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
JT wouldn't sign here and do that to the Islanders. Just won't happen. He's too classy of a guy.
Bruh don't be shocked. I think for JT it's either about MONEY or WINNING. I don't see a scenario that fits both. He can take less go to Toronto (if they can fit it) OR really go for the money and say go to Vegas or St Louis. But NYR is not a terrible option if he believes in Jeff's plan.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Bruh don't be shocked. I think for JT it's either about MONEY or WINNING. I don't see a scenario that fits both. He can take less go to Toronto (if they can fit it) OR really go for the money and say go to Vegas or St Louis. But NYR is not a terrible option if he believes in Jeff's plan.

Honestly with the way things are shaped up right now, he has a better opportunity to win in Brooklyn and they can offer him more money than anyone (they have that 8th year option.)

He isn't coming here. Despite what McKenzie said, the Rangers have been pretty steadfast on not wanting to hand out those 5-6-7 year deals.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I had mixed feelings when I first heard this. One thing that has been stated many times is that the Rangers are filled with Type B personalities, and absolutely zero Type A. From everything I have read, Kovy is a type A, well respected, and well liked by teammates. I personally wanted for the Rangers to go into this season with a Type A vet. The downside is that he can no longer play in the NHL and he will help us get higher picks for the rebuild!

Lundqvist is a type A. Zucc and Kreider kind of waver between A and B. After that it's all B.

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder
I'll say this... I had season tickets to the Thrashers (well, my father and uncle) and went to a lot of games when they were here. If Kovalchuk's shot is even 75% of what it used to be, he will be very fun to watch in a Rangers uniform. Frustrating as all hell, but fun. He doesn't back check. He shy's away from contact. He half asses it for long stretches of time. He is basically a modern day Alexei Kovalev. At the same time, he can blast a puck unlike anyone on this team, he is feisty, he is ridiculously talented and, some of our kids could benefit from playing with a talent like that.

I am hoping that Kovalchuk can do for Buch what Jagr did for Dubinsky. It was clear as day that Dubi modeled his game after Jags. The way Dubinsky learned how to protect the puck by sticking his ass out, how to cycle and maintain posession... If Kovalchuk can teach Buch how to shoot the puck...

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
Fine by me

Probably seals Zucc’s fate, which is sad.

As long as they don’t tie up money long term it’s fine

AIexisLafreniereNYR

Registered Drug User
Jan 25, 2009
New York City
Not sure if this is a silly question or not but dont you think Kovalchuk could be the captain since he'll only he here 2-3 years, to prep up Lias or one of the young guys after

Glennsoe

Horndog
Jan 7, 2011
If /when we're trading players in the summer I think zucc is nr 3 or 4 to move unless we get an unreal deal .

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I think this is a solid point. People have to realize we aren't going to piss years away. No chance. Sure, there's a great likelihood we will not be a good team in 2018/2019 but to throw it away because of that? No that won't happen. Kovy is a goal scorer (which we lack depth on, let's be fair) and he's a veteran presence for the kids especially the Euro's (Chytil Andersson, Rykov when he comes over) to learn from. I see very little downside here to a 2-3Y deal. It's better than giving 5Y for some NHLer now who is looking for a big time deal in free agency.

Oh please...

RangersTown™ has shown little qualm about pissing any years away. Depending on the age of fans or players, some had their entire careers or earthly lives pissed away between 7th and 8th.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Not sure if this is a silly question or not but dont you think Kovalchuk could be the captain since he'll only he here 2-3 years, to prep up Lias or one of the young guys after

I don't think thats a silly question at all and if anything, is exactly what I would expect if he does end up coming here and they decide to name a captain right away.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
**** the Kool-aid is already getting around...
It is ridiculous to even act that way. The team was hurt all season, a season that fell apart when Kreider got hurt. Shattenkirk was out the whole year and when he was playing he was hurt. They mix in some talent, create a competitive atmosphere while allowing the youth to develop and filter in appropriately.

Trade Spooner for Picks/Prospects. Cash in now with his value high.

Sign Kovalchuk and Nash to 2-3 year deals.

Sign Pateryn if you can.

Kreider-Zib-Buch
Kovy-Chytil-Nash
Hayes-Lias-Zucc
Vesey-Nam-Fast

Skjei-Shatty
Pateryn-ADA
Staal-Pionk
Smith

Hank
Georgiev

Lindgren, Howden, Ronning, Gropp in the AHL.

They can very well compete. That is not drinking any “kool-aid”, that is what can happen. Tanking does not guarantee success. There are plenty of examples to refute that.

ReggieDunlop68

hey hanrahan!
Oct 4, 2008
It’s a rebuild.
I would not rule out re-signing Nash at, say, $3-4 million for a few years. I'm not saying he'd be willing to do it; I'm not saying the organization would consider it. That's just as high as I would comfortably go, given his skill set, his production and--most importantly--his age.

Is he even skating now. WTF is it with you guys?

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Is any single player an answer, in a general sense? Look at McDavid in Edmonton.

Assuming the term and cap are reasonable, I don't see a downside to this. The Rangers add a good player without trading assets for him. It also adds another Russian to the roster, one who has been teammates with 3 of our players/prospects to boot.

I'm not arguing against signing him to a short term deal, just the ridiculous notion that signing him signals that the rebuild is over and we are going to go all in to win next year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad