Player Discussion Ilya Kovalchuk: 'Building Through the Draft' Edition

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
How is their PP similar? Kovalchuk has the same amount in 10 less games. Also one is a 6'3 player that has 0.56 PPG while the other one is 5'10 and 0.3 PPG player this season. It's not even close production wise and the size difference definitely favours Kovy. I don't know how you can say with a straight face that their impact is similar.
Kovalchuk had 2 PPP here in 22GP (prorating to 4 in 44gp), Weal had 5 in 49.
I said their impact on OUR powerplay is similar, ie, underwhelming.

Again, neither of them is a solution. Obviously if these two guys are the only choices, I'll go with Kovy 100% of the time. But they're not, we can sign other players, trade for some, or give that opportunity to our kids.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Kovalchuk had 2 PPP here in 22GP (prorating to 4 in 44gp), Weal had 5 in 49.
I said their impact on OUR powerplay is similar, ie, underwhelming.

Again, neither of them is a solution. Obviously if these two guys are the only choices, I'll go with Kovy 100% of the time. But they're not, we can sign other players, trade for some, or give that opportunity to our kids.
So he has a 0.59 PPG here instead... how is that a bad thing as a depth player? We dont have a big talented guy like him whereas we have like 10 Weals. Kovalchuk will help younger players. I'm all for getting a better player, but nobody will sign here.

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
People are wasting too much time refuting the need of Kovalchuk.

-It will most likely be a 1 year deal low price/low risk.
-We will NOT sign better forwards than him. For those who think we will, look at past years UFA signings.
-If he as a decent year with a few points we can swap him again for free at the TDL for a 2nd to 4th round pick.
-I prefer Kovalchuk on the 2nd to 3rd line to all the Evans/poelhing/Weal/Leks and many more. Let the younger ones develop a bit longer in the AHL.
-Injuries will happen and this helps preventing Weal superstar PP extraordinaire on the 2nd line.
-He is a player the crowd likes which makes next year less depressing and if he sucks, well, who cares.

All of you whining remind me of the ones on the mainboard asking for crazy 3 teams, 6 players, 4 picks trades.

Montreal will not attract much more better players or even has good(or bad if you prefer) has Kovalchuk.

*Hey guys I have a boat but it sinking, would you like to join me on this sailing trip?*
Your answer would be NO

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
So he has a 0.59 PPG here instead... how is that a bad thing as a depth player? We dont have a big talented guy like him whereas we have like 10 Weals. Kovalchuk will help younger players. I'm all for getting a better player, but nobody will sign here.
He didn't get .59PPG here as a depth player, he got it averaging 19min per game, the most out of every forward. Also, that PPG pace was on a rapid decline after his first 10 games.
If nobody signs here then I rather play youngsters more. Kovy isn't going to solve any of our issues.

This team needs massive change. We are nowhere near having a good roster, adding Kovy will change nothing.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
People are wasting too much time refuting the need of Kovalchuk.

-It will most likely be a 1 year deal low price/low risk.
-We will NOT sign better forwards than him. For those who think we will, look at past years UFA signings.
-If he as a decent year with a few points we can swap him again for free at the TDL for a 2nd to 4th round pick.
-I prefer Kovalchuk on the 2nd to 3rd line to all the Evans/poelhing/Weal/Leks and many more. Let the younger ones develop a bit longer in the AHL.
-Injuries will happen and this helps preventing Weal superstar PP extraordinaire on the 2nd line.
-He is a player the crowd likes which makes next year less depressing and if he sucks, well, who cares.

All of you whining remind me of the ones on the mainboard asking for crazy 3 teams, 6 players, 4 picks trades.

Montreal will not attract much more better players or even has good(or bad if you prefer) has Kovalchuk.

*Hey guys I have a boat but it sinking, would you like to join me on this sailing trip?*
Your answer would be NO

I don't understand this. If someone isn't interesting in signing a 37yo player because they rather move on, they're whining??

Holystik

Nov 17, 2018
Mars
I don't understand this. If someone isn't interesting in signing a 37yo player because they rather move on, they're whining??
You're a good chap,
The way I see it though is alot of different conversations for a nothing burger story. The situation the habs have been and are going through makes this laughable. Let's be realistic, atleast someone wants to sign here and I don't mind due to the points I posted above.

Happy to disagree ;)

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
You're a good chap,
The way I see it though is alot of different conversations for a nothing burger story. The situation the habs have been and are going through makes this laughable. Let's be realistic, atleast someone wants to sign here and I don't mind due to the points I posted above.

Happy to disagree ;)

Might be time to strive for more than just ''at least he's ready to sign here'' chap ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad