Confirmed with Link: Ilya Bryzgalov (released from Pro Tryout)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puhis

Nah.
Jul 4, 2011
Jaervenpaeae
That was fast! :laugh:

Russo:
Quote:
Sources: Ilya Bryzgalov has agreed to a pro tryout with #mnwild. Will arrive tomorrow. 7-1-3, 2.12 GAA down stretch with Wild last season

Absolutely the right thing to do, and was speculating about this earlier with another member when we met. Codename: Universe is back!

Let's hope this makes Kuemper realize that he doesn't really have much leverage. Darcy, if you are reading this (not that you'd be): Now is not the time to think about short-term gains. You have a chance to be key part of a winning team here, it's not worth losing that just for money.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
like Nino, man. realize it's worth it to play for less than you might think you're worth now and cash in later because you'll be looking better playing (probably) quite a few games on a good team on a short deal than you will playing in russia or traded to some pile of suck.

i'd be happy if they got a good deal done and stuck to their guns (the organization) but i'm perfectly fine with Bryz coming back. i like the guy.

edit: this is assuming Bryz isn't going to try to extort us into a long contract.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
like Nino, man. realize it's worth it to play for less than you might think you're worth now and cash in later because you'll be looking better playing (probably) quite a few games on a good team on a short deal than you will playing in russia or traded to some pile of suck.

i'd be happy if they got a good deal done and stuck to their guns (the organization) but i'm perfectly fine with Bryz coming back. i like the guy.

edit: this is assuming Bryz isn't going to try to extort us into a long contract.
Bryz already told his agent a month ago to do whatever it takes to facilitate his return to Minnesota... including taking less money etc. That is not a request one makes when one is looking to extort.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
Bryz already told his agent a month ago to do whatever it takes to facilitate his return to Minnesota... including taking less money etc. That is not a request one makes when one is looking to extort.

of course not but he wouldn't be worth his salt if he didn't realize the Wild are now in a much ****tier bargaining position. i don't mean highway robbery...but i think he would try to ask for more than a year deal.

TaLoN

Red 5 standing by
Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Farmington, MN
of course not but he wouldn't be worth his salt if he didn't realize the Wild are now in a much ****tier bargaining position. i don't mean highway robbery...but i think he would try to ask for more than a year deal.
This is a guy still getting a pretty sizable pay check from Philly... I doubt at this point in his career he's going to try to play the bargaining game over being in a comfortable position with a roster he gets along with.

Bryz is getting no offers from anyone. He's not suddenly going to get greedy when he finally gets someone on the phone. Hence why he accepted the tryout.

J22*

Sounds more like a guy with no other options. Why even bother calling Bryzgalov when Kuemper and his agent are on the record for wanting 1 year for cheap?

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Oh heavens. Here we go again. Before, there didn't seem to be a goaltending problem. This is going to be ridiculous. I'd rather see what Gustafsson can do.

I think Gus should be getting maximum playing time in Iowa... He didn't look amazing in our prospect scrimmages.

W75

Wegistewed Usew
Oct 22, 2011
Winland
Oh my. I had a Bryz avatar during the playoffs because I was positively surprised. But still. Already. The whole season is ahead. It's a long season and everything.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Sounds more like a guy with no other options. Why even bother calling Bryzgalov when Kuemper and his agent are on the record for wanting 1 year for cheap?

The problem with this is that Fletcher has said that he hasn't gotten any counter- offers from Kuemper's agent. His agent might be telling McKenzie this, but he's not telling this to the Wild.

Minnesota

L'Etoile du Nord
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2011
Meh. Looked bad with people he hasn't played with much. Plus, prospect scrimmages are set up for the offense to fill the net. Whats more exciting for the fans, offense or defense?

True, it's easier playing in front of a competent defense.

When I watched him play (one game, small sample) he let in one bad goal, then he seemed to be "shaken up" for the rest of the game. Needs to work on his mental toughness.

... Unlike Bryzgalov! (On-topic segue)

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
True, it's easier playing in front of a competent defense.

When I watched him play (one game, small sample) he let in one bad goal, then he seemed to be "shaken up" for the rest of the game. Needs to work on his mental toughness.

Pretty sure mental toughness is what got Hackett booted, too. Whenever he got scored on he would get pigeon head really bad. When it rained, it poured with him.

Marlowe Syn

R-O-C-K-F-O-R-D
Sep 2, 2008
I'd much rather sign Bryz than have Gus play for Minnesota. He doesn't appear to be ready, and the worst thing we should do is rush him.

We may be the first team to ever get our starting goalie from a PTO. Even though I'm sure Backstrom will be penciled in as the starter unless he falters or when he gets injured.

Gophers

Nov 23, 2004
Tough situation for the Wild to be in, but I love Bryz. Glad to see him back.

awstaf

Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
If Minnesota is really considering bringing back Bryz then something must really be wrong with the Kuemper negotiations.

I cant imagine a scenario where they would rather give Bryz a million and change instead of giving Kuemper his one-way deal. There has to be a bigger issue in play for things to have fallen this way.

Billy Mays Here*

They won't sign him now that Kuemper is back in the fold. However, a tryout might be good for him so they can make sure he's in game day shape and can be called upon to sign a one year deal the second another goalie goes down, likely Backstrom.

Pinchy11

Nov 2, 2011
Just saw this on facebook.

d6e20830-3ef3-11e4-a0e2-c7ef1c87f76e_viid67mm.jpg

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
I am really really hoping we sign him to a full one year deal. We ARE going to need to sign him at some point this year when (no way in hell it's an if at this point) Backstrom goes down. May as well start with Backs and Bryz splitting time with Kuemper in the AHL working on his game and improving it even more so he's even better when Backs goes down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad