IIHF WOMANS UNDER 18 WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS

Patmac40

BESTPOSTERINTHEGAME
Jun 7, 2012
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Canada gets a PP and a TV timeout immediately before it, then proceeds to only put Primerano on with 30 seconds left in the PP. I can’t make sense of it.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
This is insane…. Definitely not expected. Regardless of final score I’m so proud of the girls!
Exactly.. I was just telling my boy that I don't believe a Czech team has ever beat a Canadian team in women's at any level. I fully expect Canada to come back but this is tremendous

Reactions: MrazeksVengeance

FourQuarters

Mar 31, 2022
Team Canada far superior in skating and skill, but they want to play the way men's hockey is played, and most of the players are not at the level of the men's players, leading to many unnecessary turnovers. Everyone wants to show her is a star, but a hockey team needs more worker bees, as short as Adela, she engaged in every board battle, that's why Czech win this one.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
It’s crazy how far Czech women’s hockey has come in the last few years!!!
What a historic victory!

Sorry Canada!
But this is such a good thing for this tournament!
Hope Sweden, Finland, Swiss, Slovaks, and Czechs can all keep catching up to Canada and USA!
Back to back bronze at women's too. Some serious gains for our little program. I told my wife this would be like the city of Sarnia beating the province of British Columbia.lol

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
Considering how recently the Czechs have begun to rise on the women's side there's nothing wrong with realistic expectations. Canada and the USA are expected to be in the Gold Medal Game especially with Sweden out and the Czech's facing off against the most dominant team in the tournament. The field is closing in though and it's not going to be a surprise if a few things go right for the Czechs that have them upset Canada. The first half of the round robin game between the two easily could have seen Canada trying to comeback down 2-3 goals instead of being up 3. Adéla Šapovalivová and Tereza Plosová are looking great, while the rest of the team showed they can skate with most of the Canadian roster. This could easily turn into a frustrating game for Canada just like last years semi-final.

Sometimes I know what I'm talking about. Not often, but sometimes. I've been pretty adamant this Czech team isn't to be taken lightly. The Czechs understood how to play defensively on big ice to the point where it negated the talent difference and had the scorers to make Canada pay when it mattered. Then you have the Canadian coaching staff just refusing to put Primerano on PP1 all tournament long but it was especially egregious to have her sit when down 3-2 and only giving her the last 30 seconds when PP1 was a static mess. Extremely disappointing showing by the Canadian coaching staff who didn't do much effective coaching.

Back to back bronze at women's too. Some serious gains for our little program. I told my wife this would be like the city of Sarnia beating the province of British Columbia.lol

At the 2023 Canada Games U18 women's tournament, Nova Scotia with no U18 national team players beat Team Ontario full of U18 national players that just won Gold in Sweden two months previous. That's what this was like.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018

Here are the highlights in case anyone wants to watch them.

Neat takeaway is that this is 2 years in a row that a Euro nation is in the finals... last year Sweden beat the US 2-1 to make the finals.

That's encouraging tbh. It'd be nice to have Semi's that aren't always North America 10 and Europe 0.lol

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Sometimes I know what I'm talking about. Not often, but sometimes. I've been pretty adamant this Czech team isn't to be taken lightly. The Czechs understood how to play defensively on big ice to the point where it negated the talent difference and had the scorers to make Canada pay when it mattered. Then you have the Canadian coaching staff just refusing to put Primerano on PP1 all tournament long but it was especially egregious to have her sit when down 3-2 and only giving her the last 30 seconds when PP1 was a static mess. Extremely disappointing showing by the Canadian coaching staff who didn't do much effective coaching.

At the 2023 Canada Games U18 women's tournament, Nova Scotia with no U18 national team players beat Team Ontario full of U18 national players that just won Gold in Sweden two months previous. That's what this was like.
You clearly know your stuff!

Big ice does negate offence... and there is a way to play on ice to choke out opposition. I think the Czechs, in general, are quite good at giving up free space on big ice while not giving away quality chances.

Obivously, I find this all very shocking. I also have no doubt Canada wins gold next year after this. I wish the team playing for Bronze a lot of luck because those will be some pissed off and very talented ladies out there!

My Sunday plans have been made... good luck to Finland and the US. From what I"m gathering.. the US are not as stacked as Canada and this could be a closer game.

Gigantor The Goalie

Speak for the Goalies
Feb 4, 2012
New London
You clearly know your stuff!

Big ice does negate offence... and there is a way to play on ice to choke out opposition. I think the Czechs, in general, are quite good at giving up free space on big ice while not giving away quality chances.

Obivously, I find this all very shocking. I also have no doubt Canada wins gold next year after this. I wish the team playing for Bronze a lot of luck because those will be some pissed off and very talented ladies out there!

My Sunday plans have been made... good look to Finland and the US.

Czechs played excellent defense and the Canadian coaching staff thought they could just outskill their opponents which doesn't work now. The Swiss exposed the flaw in the Canadian offence and the Czechs had the players necessary to make that flaw exploitable for a win. I even had a tweet saying I don't like how the Canadian's are just allowing the Swiss to hold them to the perimeter. Canada got too comfortable skating around and wore themselves out more than the Czechs did defending. And the line-up decisions were just bleh. Breaking up Graham/Primerano at 5v5 seems like a terrible idea now.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Czechs played excellent defense and the Canadian coaching staff thought they could just outskill their opponents which doesn't work now. The Swiss exposed the flaw in the Canadian offence and the Czechs had the players necessary to make that flaw exploitable for a win. I even had a tweet saying I don't like how the Canadian's are just allowing the Swiss to hold them to the perimeter. Canada got too comfortable skating around and wore themselves out more than the Czechs did defending. And the line-up decisions were just bleh. Breaking up Graham/Primerano at 5v5 seems like a terrible idea now.
That's what it looked like to me too.. I tuned in mid second period (wasn't planning on watching to be honest) and it just looked like the strategy was 'go score a goal girls'. And those girls were all skating and dangling but it wasn't working. Even the ENG with the Canuck girl going for a dangle and being stripped. Didn't look like how Canada wins third periods at all. Even at 4-2.. the girls just stopped and I've seen Canuck teams comeback so many times before that I was surprised.

Still, the better nation definitely lost. Canada got goalie'd and would win the best of 7 easily. It's nice for confidence though for the ohter nations. This is why I don't mind blowouts at the U20's for the men. Those nations eventually improve.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Congrats to the Czechs!

While they certainly earned that victory, I'm hoping both this and the WJHC disappointment will rid Hockey Canada of its "everything is fine" stubbornness and look into changes. Yes the world is catching up, but there is not reason for us to be underpeforming like this.
Usually when Canada loses a few tourneys.. they unleash hell on everyone.lol

Calling it now.. double gold next year in Ottawa at U20 and this U18 as well.

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
Usually when Canada loses a few tourneys.. they unleash hell on everyone.lol

Calling it now.. double gold next year in Ottawa at U20 and this U18 as well.
Lol ngl when we lost to the Finns in the 2019 WJHC quarters I was saying then same thing. Then came 4 straight gold medal appearances with 3 wins.

Honestly though, this loss is more shocking only because of how far the gap is compared to men's hockey and the shot difference.

But just like this year's Juniors, I will cheer for the team that beat us 🇨🇿

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Congrats to the Czechs but this is what happens in elimination games there still is a large gap between the talent of the top 2 teams and the next group and still teams in this tournament that seriously can't keep up and have huge challenges in growing their game.

Canada's decision making and team play really was the difference here as well as the Czech goalie.

SOG were 47-12.

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Lol ngl when we lost to the Finns in the 2019 WJHC quarters I was saying then same thing. Then came 4 straight gold medal appearances with 3 wins.

Honestly though, this loss is more shocking only because of how far the gap is compared to men's hockey and the shot difference.

But just like this year's Juniors, I will cheer for the team that beat us 🇨🇿
This is a legit miracle on ice ... no questions about it. No one expected this (except maybe Gigantor). I didn't see a single thing from Czech media or fans even indicating we thought it'd be close.

Your WHC example is perfect... there is always a big bounceback for Canada!

My guess is that Canada is at the forefront and develop a winning system. Then the rest of the world loses often and finally figures out the system and adapts. Then Canada comes up with a different system and here we go again.lol

Reactions: End on a Hinote

Czechboy

Cole is the real MVP!
Apr 15, 2018
Congrats to the Czechs but this is what happens in elimination games there still is a large gap between the talent of the top 2 teams and the next group and still teams in this tournament that seriously can't keep up and have huge challenges in growing their game.

Canada's decision making and team play really was the difference here as well as the Czech goalie.

SOG were 47-12.
I'll add Sapovoalova.. she can actually keep up with the Canadian girls. So her line was a bit of a threat and could even it out before they sat down and the ice tilted again.lol Normally, we have no one that can keep up.

Reactions: wetcoast

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad