News: IIHF rules Fedotov has a valid NHL contract, IIHF discipline for Fedotov and CSKA

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Is NHL trying to expand in Sochi? PyeongChang? Beijing?

I don't think it works as you assume.

The preseason games overseas every year are more in line with what a marketing try to conquer new territories look like.
Those preseason games are to 99% for the already initiated.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
He was pretty much the star goalie of the league before leaving for the army. He's got a very good chance of making the NHL roster

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
The IIHF's authority here:

7d91e09ddaecd055d81794343b344092.jpg

DEANYOUNGBLOOD17

May 10, 2011
The IIHF opinion on this matter is as useful as any other HFb posters opinion…. As they have allready banned all Russian players from international events and that’s all the power that they have.

TomB

Jul 20, 2016
Something that I think might be missing here - and I could be wrong on this - but Fedotov is suspended 4 months from "national and international games". Since the KHL is under the auspices of the IIHF (by way of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation), that reads to me like the player is not only suspended for international matches but also for his KHL league games. If the KHL doesn't abide by that suspension, this could lead to further consequences. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

If I'm right, I wonder if all international transfers into Russia (not just CSKA) would suffer from a ban. I mean, if I'm the IIHF that's where I'd go with it.

madhi19

Just the tip!
Jun 2, 2012
Cold and Dark place!
twitter.com
Something that I think might be missing here - and I could be wrong on this - but Fedotov is suspended 4 months from "national and international games". Since the KHL is under the auspices of the IIHF (by way of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation), that reads to me like the player is not only suspended for international matches but also for his KHL league games. If the KHL doesn't abide by that suspension, this could lead to further consequences. Can anyone confirm/deny this?

If I'm right, I wonder if all international transfers into Russia (not just CSKA) would suffer from a ban. I mean, if I'm the IIHF that's where I'd go with it.
Figure this is all a moot point. They can't impose anything on the KHL, they can only ban Russia from international events something the IIHF already done. The only results I predict is the end of the gentlemen agreement about not poaching players under contract from either league. It's a pity nobody has any cap because I could see some NHL teams feasting on guys wishing to bolt before their own ass get drafted.

Reactions: capazzo

josra33

Aug 11, 2008
Since they manage the sport on a global scale and regulate how transfers happens between countries. IIHF is basically like fifa is for soccer and they declared that KHL team made an illegal transfer of player.
Got it. That makes sense. Thank you for the information.

Redpath

Sep 30, 2011

Agent Shumi Babaev spoke about the situation with the contract of Ivan Fedotov.

“You see, suspension of membership does not mean expulsion. And the FHR is required by law to act in accordance with the decisions of the IIHF. And I don't see how FHR can get around that. Another thing is that CSKA can go to the next instances, to the sports court and defend it there. But I don't know what it will look like.

It will be impossible to bypass the sanctions. If we request transfers, even inside, the FHR will not do such things. Because the KHL is still part of the Russian Ice Hockey Federation, part of the structure.

There were no similar situations before - this is the only case. And that is because a situation arose for CSKA in which they could conclude a contract, they considered it possible, ”said Babaev .

Agent Shumi Babaev shared his thoughts on the situation with Ivan Fedotov's contract.

- I expected a pleasant solution to be like this. The IIHF will not want to allow violations of the rules and spoil relations with the NHL.

If CSKA has a different opinion, the club can protest and file for arbitration. There are no problems, each side acts at its own discretion.

As a result, I think that Fedotov will leave and play in Philadelphia, and in a year he will be able to return to CSKA.

- Will Fedotov have to go to North America?

“Honestly, I don’t see any other options,” said Babaev.

It's worth nothing that Babaev is the agent for Flyers player Egor Zamula.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
A ban from playing international hockey when the country he represents is banned from playing international hockey.

That'd be like banning Connor Bedard from the CHL for the upcoming season.
Bedard is at least CHL eligible. It would be more like banning McDavid. A ban from participation in something you can't participate in regardless.

To get exposure. The NHL pay a pittance for the 10+ years of development clubs all over the world are responsible for.
Exposure lol. Come on man.

Reactions: Voight and Czechboy

TomB

Jul 20, 2016
Figure this is all a moot point. They can't impose anything on the KHL, they can only ban Russia from international events something the IIHF already done. The only results I predict is the end of the gentlemen agreement about not poaching players under contract from either league. It's a pity nobody has any cap because I could see some NHL teams feasting on guys wishing to bolt before their own ass get drafted.

I disagree - the IIHF could ban international transfers from elsewhere in Europe. This would impact Russian clubs trying to bring in foreign players. Whether the KHL clubs care about this is another question entirely, but it is a further consequence that could be imposed.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Casual fans are the ones that become hardcore fans. You don't just become a superfan overnight.
And when a casual fan watches an olympic hockey game and likes it, where do you think they turn to watch more hockey? They won't recognize any player names at that stage regardless. If they don't go, NHL gets 99% of the benefit they would otherwise get for 0% of the risk. No brainer, really, unless the IIHF makes it worth their while.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I disagree - the IIHF could ban international transfers from elsewhere in Europe. This would impact Russian clubs trying to bring in foreign players. Whether the KHL clubs care about this is another question entirely, but it is a further consequence that could be imposed.
And why then would the KHL respect those transfer bans? They sign the player, IIHF yells about it, the KHL pays the player money as agreed anyway and the player plays in Russia. The KHL simply has to not give a crap about anything the IIHF says and the IIHF has zero power over them. The IIHF can't stop anyone at the border, only governments can do that.

TomB

Jul 20, 2016
And why then would the KHL respect those transfer bans? They sign the player, IIHF yells about it, the KHL pays the player money as agreed anyway and the player plays in Russia. The KHL simply has to not give a crap about anything the IIHF says and the IIHF has zero power over them. The IIHF can't stop anyone at the border, only governments can do that.

These players would likely face further consequences once they leave Russia. It would be up to the player whether they want to face those or not. It isn't necessarily a detterent to the clubs themselves, but it might be to the players signing there. This would likely affect Europeans more than North Americans.

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
And when a casual fan watches an olympic hockey game and likes it, where do you think they turn to watch more hockey? They won't recognize any player names at that stage regardless. If they don't go, NHL gets 99% of the benefit they would otherwise get for 0% of the risk. No brainer, really, unless the IIHF makes it worth their while.
The NHL assumes 100% of the risk with 0% of the benefit.

There is no rise of interest from the Olympics. People watch Olympic hockey for the same reason people watch Olympic swimming and Olympic track and field. Because it's the Olympics.

Before you say the NHL needs to do a better job marketing the partnership, remember that the NHL is contractually barred from doing so. If they tried to, they'd get sued for millions.

• Haha
Reactions: thefutures

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The current KHL is now similar to the NHL.....the only drastic deterrent against poaching is reciprocal poaching.

The NHL poached Russians left and right back in the day until Radulov was stolen, then Bettman realized the KHL had the abliity to make it a 2-way street. Then everybody agreed not do it and things were good.

The KHL isn't gonna win a freakin poaching war against the NHL. But I really doubt the NHL wants to go there either.
That's why several KHL factions DO NOT side with CSKA. The heads of SKA are probably losing their collective minds.

Last edited:

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
I mean yeah but Fedotov is still stuck in Russia and Russia will probably throw him on the front lines if he tries to defect to the United States.
His instagram has pics of him on a recent vacation in Dubai so it seems like he did his time in the gulag after they arrested him last year...

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

This is true.

I have friends who never watched a single NHL game but once they saw the Olympics in 2010 (Canada winning helped) they were hooked. Even 2014.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
These players would likely face further consequences once they leave Russia. It would be up to the player whether they want to face those or not. It isn't necessarily a detterent to the clubs themselves, but it might be to the players signing there. This would likely affect Europeans more than North Americans.
What consequences would those be? The IIHF has zero tools to enforce anything against a player beyond international tournaments. And from a player's POV whatever. International pay doesn't come with a paycheck.

The IIHF is totally toothless here, don't delude yourself.

stardog

Been on HF so long my Myspace link is part of my p
Oct 31, 2003
www.myspace.com
Thread title is misleading; IIHF ruled in favor of the Flyers.

Details in non-paywalled article: IIHF Upholds Ivan Fedotov's Contract With Flyers
God I love seeing this link. BECAUSE, I've been checking out that sight now for several years and last season when those Kane (or maybe it was Toews, I really didn't care or think about it all to much at the time) to Pittsburgh rumors began to lightly circulate in the media, I saw it on several sites, prohockeyrumors being one of them so I came on here to see if there was any scuttlebutt about it. It was a brand new rumor so nobody has yet picked up on it as well as the fact that the stories all indicated a small likelihood of it happening meant that it wasn't being talked about. So, I started a thread to post a legit rumor (you know, a hockey rumor...the actual name of and the entire reason this message board even exists) but moreso to see if any of the users around the hockey kingdom had heard any whispers. I posted a link to the story on the website you linked and the brilliant hockey minds who seem to want everyone to know that they know all things hockey related and that you do not basically accused me of making this up. They never heard of the site (which is a highly trafficked and very legitimate site with several respected names putting out the stories) which, because they know all hockey and I don't, rather than learning about the site for future reference, instead took the ridiculous stand that it was some site written from someone's Mom's basement (I'm sure those posters were using the knowledge gained from years of their own experience of doing the same to form such an educated opinion... that's where the hard fought confidence and attitude is forged) etc. I even had one poster, who is one of the first people to reply in this thread (just as it seems to happen with this poster in just about any and every thread...like a race) actually accuse me of the prohockeyrumors site being a site that I created and owned, and I created a thread for site hits. Quite quickly, the topic turned into one all about the Maple Leafs of course (because isn't everything in hockey supposed to reflect the Leads in some way or it isn't considered REAL hockey) but not to long after I posted it, a mod shut down the thread due to my link "not being a legitimate site" and therefore not a legitimate rumor but one that was apparently made up (you know, like ALL RUMORS ARE). I didn't point out that the site was owned by either CBS or NBC sports at the time, came up on page one of Google search and was seen by a comparable number of hockey fans as the HFboards site was, so that if they were unaware of the site, if they decided it wasn't a legitimate source of hockey news and they used only their all seeing hockey knowledge to make their definitive, final ruling on the subject and this the subject is hereafter and forever considered closed as they have spoken then it says a whole lot more about their standing as a legitimate hockey rumor board moderator and their skillz as such than about the site itself.

So to see it posted and linked warms my heart as now, I don't have to risk trying to trick those few all knowing hockey posters around here. Now I don't have to be The Joker, thwarted yet again by the moderators Batman, who exposes my wicked plans when I thought I'd fooled everyone by posting a hockey thread about hockey news on a hockey board.

You are my true Miner 49er, you have done the wickedness of my original plan and linked to this site which may, or may not have been started and continues to be run by myself, from a basement which may or may not be located in a dwelling inhabited by one or both of my parental figures.

Let the hits, clicks or better yet, both, rain down like money!

Oh yeah, to stay on topic I'll add this thought:
I mean, you know...Russia...amirite?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad