News: IIHF rules Fedotov has a valid NHL contract, IIHF discipline for Fedotov and CSKA

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
He was pretty much the star goalie of the league before leaving for the army. He's got a very good chance of making the NHL roster

Fedotov, himself, doesn't think he's currently NHL material. He hasn't played or practiced at a professional level for a year.

He said its why he'd rather play for CSKA than the Flyers. He knows he'll probably be making peanuts in the AHL if he leaves for North America now. Fedotov would rather bring his game up to speed in the KHL. He also didn't rule out going to NA in the future.

Last edited:
Reactions: Accelleratii

TomB

Jul 20, 2016
What consequences would those be? The IIHF has zero tools to enforce anything against a player beyond international tournaments. And from a player's POV whatever. International pay doesn't come with a paycheck.

The IIHF is totally toothless here, don't delude yourself.
The caliber of foreign player being courted by KHL clubs to come play there is the caliber of player who could be invited to play for the national team. For some players, this may make a difference - especially if the pay difference is not too significant.

The IIHF could suspend a player from league games in the SHL, NL, Liiga, etc. upon that player's return. These are leagues that are unlikely to go against a IIHF decision - as I understand it, they are much more intertwined with the IIHF itself. Possibly a European poster that is more "in the know" could shed some more light here.

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
Fedotov, himself, doesn't think he's currently NHL material. He hasn't played or practiced at a professional level for a year.

He said its why he'd rather play for CSKA than the Flyers. He knows he'll probably be making peanuts in the AHL if he leaves for North America now. Fedotov would rather bring his game up to speed in the KHL. He also didn't rule out going to NA in the future.
Seems like they will force him against his wishes to play for hamburgers in the ahl. Poor guy, can't take a break.

Reactions: Nikolajs Sillers

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008

That's where negotiations come in. The khl deal is two years the NHL deal is one year. Ideally fedotov would be "loaned" to the khl and toll his contract until next year and the second khl year would be voided. If it goes to arbitration I could see it the opposite way where they honor the second year of the khl deal and he is in North America for a season.
Goalies are voodoo but I don't know how far down the ladder barring injury he really goes from being one of the best goalies in the world to not making an NHL roster. His Olympic performance really impressed me.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
The NHL assumes 100% of the risk with 0% of the benefit.

There is no rise of interest from the Olympics. People watch Olympic hockey for the same reason people watch Olympic swimming and Olympic track and field. Because it's the Olympics.

Before you say the NHL needs to do a better job marketing the partnership, remember that the NHL is contractually barred from doing so. If they tried to, they'd get sued for millions.

International participation has been key to basketball's rise as a global sport, for example. The NBA wouldn't be nearly as popular as they're now if they didn't go.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
According to IIHF president, both Fedotov and CSKA are appealing the IIHF's decision. This ridiculousness is going to drag out a while.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Since they manage the sport on a global scale and regulate how transfers happens between countries. IIHF is basically like fifa is for soccer and they declared that KHL team made an illegal transfer of player.
Not a FIFA at all, IIHF cannot do anything about it.

They can fine KHL, and KHL can decide to not pay. IIHF can complain and KHL can say: "So what?"

Reactions: cptjeff and Antti

Fish on The Sand

Untouchable
Feb 28, 2002
Canada
International participation has been key to basketball's rise as a global sport, for example. The NBA wouldn't be nearly as popular as they're now if they didn't go.
The NHL has gone to the Olympics a bunch of times and it's fine absolutely nothing.

Also, the NBA doesn't need to stop their season to send players. If they did, they wouldn't do it.

Antti

Jun 29, 2022
I think it's a mistake of the NHL and Philadelphia.
The KHL simply won't let Michkov go in response to this trouble, and as a result, the NHL will lose the most.
It's stupid, but it will be.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
The KHL simply won't let Michkov go in response to this trouble, and as a result, the NHL will lose the most.

The KHL isn;t some uniform entity. There's currently many different voices and opinions on the matter. In fact Michkov's team (SKA) is, without a doubt, in favor of the IIHF's ruling.

RCGP2

Mar 8, 2018
If the KHL says contracts mean nothing then why can't michkov just leave whenever he wants?

Antti

Jun 29, 2022
If the KHL says contracts mean nothing then why can't michkov just leave whenever he wants?
What does the KHL have to do with this?
As far as I know, the NHL suspended the contract agreement with the KHL, it was an initiative of the NHL.
It makes no sense for the KHL to fulfill a contractual agreement that the NHL does not fulfill.
And Fedotov did not have a contract for the 2023-24 season, the NHL cannot extend contracts unilaterally, and they did not negotiate, because it happened, and Fedotov will play in the KHL.
I think the same thing will happen with Michkov - if the NHL does not restore the agreement with the KHL, which they suspended a year ago.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
As far as I know, the NHL suspended the contract agreement with the KHL, it was an initiative of the NHL.
It makes no sense for the KHL to fulfill a contractual agreement that the NHL does not fulfill.
And Fedotov did not have a contract for the 2023-24 season, the NHL cannot extend contracts unilaterally, and they did not negotiate, because it happened, and Fedotov will play in the KHL.
I think the same thing will happen with Michkov - if the NHL does not restore the agreement with the KHL, which they suspended a year ago.

I don’t see what Michkov has to do with this.

Ivan Miroshnichenko’s KHL contract was terminated in May 2023 and then he signed with the Washington Capitals.

So if in the future a player wants to sign with a NHL team, they eventually will.

If Fedotov didn’t want to play in North America this season then the contract should have been mutually terminated but they just ignored it instead.

Michkov said he wanted to play in the NHL. The lure of playing in the top league for the most money is going to be pretty irresistible. You’re feelings about it don’t really affect what will happen.

Antti

Jun 29, 2022
I don’t see what Michkov has to do with this.

Ivan Miroshnichenko’s KHL contract was terminated in May 2023 and then he signed with the Washington Capitals.

So if in the future a player wants to sign with a NHL team, they eventually will.

If Fedotov didn’t want to play in North America this season then the contract should have been mutually terminated but they just ignored it instead.

Michkov said he wanted to play in the NHL. The lure of playing in the top league for the most money is going to be pretty irresistible. You’re feelings about it don’t really affect what will happen.
There is a big difference between Miroshnichenko and Michkov.
If SKA boss Rotenberg doesn't want to let Michkov go, he won't go anywhere.
Rotenberg will just make him an offer that cannot be refused and that's it.
The bosses didn't need Miroshnichenko and he was allowed to leave.
Just the other day I watched an interview with Michkov for several hours and he clearly said there that he would play SKA for the next 3 years, and then it is unknown.
And the NHL is a dream.
I think we all understand the difference between a dream and reality.
Believe me, money is not the most important thing in this life, don't be naive.
And Rotenberg has enough money for 10 such as Michkov.

RCGP2

Mar 8, 2018
If they don't respect NHL contracts, then why would the NHL respect KHL contracts.

He had a contract for last year, didn't fulfill it, so it tolled.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
There is a big difference between Miroshnichenko and Michkov.
If SKA boss Rotenberg doesn't want to let Michkov go, he won't go anywhere.
Rotenberg will just make him an offer that cannot be refused and that's it.
The bosses didn't need Miroshnichenko and he was allowed to leave.
Just the other day I watched an interview with Michkov for several hours and he clearly said there that he would play SKA for the next 3 years, and then it is unknown.
And the NHL is a dream.
I think we all understand the difference between a dream and reality.
Believe me, money is not the most important thing in this life, don't be naive.
And Rotenberg has enough money for 10 such as Michkov.

I didn’t say he buy out his contract, no NHL teams were counting on that. However, unless you’re suggesting he won’t be allowed to leave, it’s assumed that he’s coming to the NHL.

Some nonsense with a fringe goalie’s contract doesn’t change anything or mean anything.

The most important thing for an elite hockey player is to play against the best players in the best league. Unless Michkov lacks competitiveness or ambition, he’s coming to the NHL.

You’re blinded by what you personally want here.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Antti

Jun 29, 2022
He had a contract for last year, didn't fulfill it, so it tolled.
I know that, but I don't understand why he's the only one to blame.
Philadelphia did not have the right to sign a contract with Fedotov, who was supposed to go to the army to serve, this is a mistake of Philadelphia and Fletcher personally.
Fedotov is not to blame for this, the responsibility is entirely on Fletcher's stupidity.

If they don't respect NHL contracts, then why would the NHL respect KHL contracts.
I dont know why the NHL refused to respect the KHL and cooperate with it a year ago and did it unilaterally.
These are the NHL's problems, why did they do that.

• Haha
Reactions: MXD

Axel Sandy Pelikan

Jonatan Berggren is our Lord and Savior,
May 11, 2023
And why then would the KHL respect those transfer bans? They sign the player, IIHF yells about it, the KHL pays the player money as agreed anyway and the player plays in Russia. The KHL simply has to not give a crap about anything the IIHF says and the IIHF has zero power over them. The IIHF can't stop anyone at the border, only governments can do that.

Ahhhh Apathy, my one weakness!

RCGP2

Mar 8, 2018
Philadelphia did not have the right to sign a contract with Fedotov, who was supposed to go to the army to serve, this is a mistake of Philadelphia and Fletcher personally.
Fedotov is not to blame for this, the responsibility is entirely on Fletcher's stupidity.

I dont know why the NHL refused to respect the KHL and cooperate with it a year ago and did it unilaterally.
Fedotov and his agent didn't know he had to fulfill military service? The only way they didn't know was if they don't always have to fulfill it.

Military service isn't a KHL contract though, he should be free to sign a contract. I know Finnish players often fulfill their service whilst under contract (I know it's a different country and different rules).

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Fedotov’s contract in the KHL had expired. Which meant he was allowed to sign with the Flyers, who had drafted him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad