IIHF Rankings once Belarus and Russia allowed back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Which division will they play in? Certainly Russia would be allowed to play in the top division, but what about Belarus? What was Belarus’ last rank? What rank will they be given once back? Will they automatically go back to the rank which they last were?

Tmu84

- Tmuussoni
Feb 2, 2011
Funland
Russia will be in the top division.

End of story.
End of story in your mind perhaps. I say 'No', we should follow the IIHF rules about this. IIHF ranking is based on the results of last Olympics and 4 World Championships. If they have no results for last 5 tournaments, it should reflect on their rankings accordingly. That would determine also if they are relegated to Division IA.

It seems IIHF is not doing that, just putting things on Pause. I don't like that. The fact is atrocities committed by Russia are so severe, it impacts the whole World. There shouldn't be any leniency and just strictly follow the rules...

Raimo Sillanpää

Mar 11, 2003
Espoo, Finland
The more I think of it the more likely I see Russia vs Iran or Indonesia becoming. Mind you they won’t ice Ovi for those games, rather a roster of KHL-2 farm league players making up a team.

The problem is they will have to be voted in, that means the IIHF member countries, of which many are Eastern European, will have to want to be gracious to giving an exception - and generally their feeling now is in no way accommodating to that.

Unless there is a revolution and regime change, I don’t see Russia returning to the top division.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
End of story in your mind perhaps. I say 'No', we should follow the IIHF rules about this. IIHF ranking is based on the results of last Olympics and 4 World Championships. If they have no results for last 5 tournaments, it should reflect on their rankings accordingly. That would determine also if they are relegated to Division IA.

It seems IIHF is not doing that, just putting things on Pause. I don't like that. The fact is atrocities committed by Russia are so severe, it impacts the whole World. There shouldn't be any leniency and just strictly follow the rules...
Fine. We just won’t participate then and have some of the leagues best players not participate or completely eradicate teams 19-0 and make the tournaments look like even a bigger joke

The only reason I can think of IIHF wouldn’t pardon that rule is the fact they fear Russia will win gold off the bat and it being a “bad look”

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Fine. We just won’t participate then and have some of the leagues best players not participate or completely eradicate teams 19-0 and make the tournaments look like even a bigger joke

The only reason I can think of IIHF wouldn’t pardon that rule is the fact they fear Russia will win gold off the bat and it being a “bad look”
You seem to be under the mistaken impression that we want Russia to participate. A large portion of the world does not, and you have no one but yourselves to blame.

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018

That's a laugh. The more likely outcome would be a 5th. place finish. but who knows. They can fuel up all their charters and whisk Ovi, Malkin, Goalie Bob and Kuch for one last kick at the can as they become available. hopefully in time for a 1/4 final game.

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't have a major problem with them eventually resuming in the top division, but they shouldn't be granted IIHF ranking points for automatic Olympic qualification ahead of other teams that have actually participated in the tournaments.

Reactions: Shocker

wmupreds

Dec 15, 2022
I don't have a major problem with them eventually resuming in the top division, but they shouldn't be granted IIHF ranking points for automatic Olympic qualification ahead of other teams that have actually participated in the tournaments.
I don't disagree.

But what a kick in the teeth it would be for a bubble team to end up in a final qualifying group with Russia.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
I don't see Russia being put through the paces like some suggest. When they return it will be back to their previous position.

Reactions: Play

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
I don't disagree.

But what a kick in the teeth it would be for a bubble team to end up in a final qualifying group with Russia.
Well, now they'll get Slovakia instead so it's not like the challenge is much lesser for the minnows anyway. Mainly this punishes Slovakia unnecessarily and they were the actual bronze medalists at the last Olympics rather than virtual bronze medalists at a tournament they didn't even participate in like Russia now.

Reactions: Czechboy

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Nothing yet on Belarus in this thread. Weren't they in the group of teams in the revolving door between Div 1A and the top? Around 10-14 ranked?

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
Nothing yet on Belarus in this thread. Weren't they in the group of teams in the revolving door between Div 1A and the top? Around 10-14 ranked?
We never saw how it ends but they had a us model for the U18 squad and the U18 teams were quite dynamic, competive and fun to watch. I was hoping that's transfer to U20.

moropanov

Mar 7, 2015
Any tournament without Russia is pointless. Its the equivalent of having a hockey tourney without Canada. :laugh:
Nah Russia has fallen below Germany's level in hockey nowadays and in future they will be Norway's level if theyr country even doesnt cease to exist. They are not relevant hockey country same as Belarus.

Reactions: NoMessi
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad