IIHF Power Rankings right now

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
I guess Swedes are favorites this year. But this tournament is full of surprises.
Swedes, Canada and US.

Swedes are very good in round robins.. I'd argue the best.

Canada and US generally perform below their level to start and then then f*** up the quarters brackets and eliminate everyone.lol

I'll be in absolute shock if one of those 3 don't leave with a gold.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
*Offer not valid for semifinals
This team here is damn good.. biggest problem could be a fluke Canada draw. And I'd call that 50-50. The crossover sucks though for Swedes and US. Swiss have a beautiful team here. Canada is Canada. Finns are Finns. Prey for my Czechs (who are about to have Pastrnak available as it's 2-1 Florida with 30 seconds left)

Reactions: Zero Pucks Given

Old Man Jags

Mar 25, 2006
I guess Swedes are favorites this year. But this tournament is full of surprises.
But is it though overall? Yes, there is the whole Austria business, but on the whole? The top four trans in each group are the top four teams I expected to see. Some may have expected Latvia instead of Slovakia but I didn’t, always thought last year was a bit of a fluke. So basically the top 8 teams are exactly what one would have expected the top 8 teams to be.

There are probably fewer total blowouts than one might have expected (and, again, Austria’s performances and win against Finland), but by and large we are exactly where one would have expected.

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
But is it though overall? Yes, there is the whole Austria business, but on the whole? The top four trans in each group are the top four teams I expected to see. Some may have expected Latvia instead of Slovakia but I didn’t, always thought last year was a bit of a fluke. So basically the top 8 teams are exactly what one would have expected the top 8 teams to be.

There are probably fewer total blowouts than one might have expected (and, again, Austria’s performances and win against Finland), but by and large we are exactly where one would have expected.
That's been something I've loved.. not many blowouts and the quartters look to be 3 exceptionally tight matches. If Canada finishes first I'd expect them to beat Latvia or Germany relatively well. The other 3 quarters are marquee. A strong Swiss squad really helps with the parity!

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Czechs added Necas, Zacha, Pastrnak. They are a gold favorite now. Not won it since 2010. Its about time. I would be very happy for the czechs.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Czechs added Necas, Zacha, Pastrnak. They are a gold favorite now. Not won it since 2010. Its about time. I would be very happy for the czechs.
Keep an eye on these guys with those additions. Pretty stingy D, wild home crowd behind them and now with some legitimate scoring threats. Dark horse IMO

Reactions: Eye of Ra

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Keep an eye on these guys with those additions. Pretty stingy D, wild home crowd behind them and now with some legitimate scoring threats. Dark horse IMO

I consider them more of a favourite than a dark horse.

Sweden, Czechs and Canada, and the US to some extent just because of their talent level.

Swiss are more of a dark horse IMO.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
I consider them more of a favourite than a dark horse.

Sweden, Czechs and Canada, and the US to some extent just because of their talent level.

Swiss are more of a dark horse IMO.
hmm, valid view especially considering the Swiss troubles in the money games, you may be right.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Are these rankings based on clubs currently at the Worlds or do they include all players, even ones playing in the National League and not at the tournament?

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Just performances by the guys at the tournament.
I wonder if this tournament could be held when the top countries could have their best players available, and wanting to play? Make it a true World Championship. More like what soccer does. I guess money gets in the way though.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd say thus far that Sweden has looked strongest but Canada and USA will be very dangerous in any game. Very interested in seeing what the Czechs look like going forward.

I wonder if this tournament could be held when the top countries could have their best players available, and wanting to play? Make it a true World Championship. More like what soccer does. I guess money gets in the way though.
I don't think it's possible. The IIHF blew any chance of that happening many decades ago. There is no way the best players (in North America anyway) would go year after year, and if the tournament didn't take place until after the NHL playoffs then a ton of players would refuse because it would be too disruptive to their summers. The current setup is probably as good as it possibly could be.

Reactions: Fatass and Sweetnut

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Doesn´t matter. By this logic, GB would be favourite, too (They won in the 20th century). If you have Fiala, Josi, Hischier, you´re pretty damn good.

GB won with a bunch of Canadians on their roster.

Until they actually do it, I consider them more of a dark horse.

It’s unnecessary.

That’s what the Olympics are supposed to be for anyway. (Or an actual World Cup that works)

Could never do a best on best every year.

The WCs are a different type of tournament.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
GB won with a bunch of Canadians on their roster.

Until they actually do it, I consider them more of a dark horse.

It’s unnecessary.

That’s what the Olympics are supposed to be for anyway. (Or an actual World Cup that works)

Could never do a best on best every year.

The WCs are a different type of tournament.
The is this really a “world” championship? Even the World Juniors is missing the top guys, because they’re in the NHL.

Reactions: Czechboy

Czechboy

Češi do toho!
Apr 15, 2018
To clarify.. pasta and Zacha are still unconfirmed. They need to be cleared by Bruins.

Also, Zacha is a lying prick who hates us and always has a bullshit excuse.

So nothing confirmed at all. Don't worry... You'll hear from me when it happens.lol

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
The is this really a “world” championship? Even the World Juniors is missing the top guys, because they’re in the NHL.

Is it really a World Series of Baseball?

I don’t get hung up on labels.

It’s an annual international hockey tournament with the guys who are available.

They don’t want to hold it in July when the SC is over (and why should they?) so this is what we’ve got.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
To clarify.. pasta and Zacha are still unconfirmed. They need to be cleared by Bruins.

Also, Zacha is a lying prick who hates us and always has a bullshit excuse.

So nothing confirmed at all. Don't worry... You'll hear from me when it happens.lol
It’s nice to hear there are elite NHLers (pasta) who will play for their country even after a hard nhl playoff grind. Hard not to cheer for guys who do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad