IIHF member nations.

Discussion in 'International Tournaments' started by BCCHL inactive, Aug 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
View Users: View Users
  1. I think it's time for the IIHF to take a good look at its member nations and consider re-considering some countries' memberships.

Here is the complete list:

Andorra
    Argentina
    Armenia
    Australia
    Austria
    Azerbaijan
    Belarus
    Belgium
    Bosnia & Herzegovina
    Brazil
    Bulgaria
    Canada
    Chile
    China
    Chinese Taipei (Taiwan)
    Croatia
    Czech Republic
    Denmark
    DPR Korea
    Estonia
    Finland
    France
    Germany
    Great Britain
    Greece
    Hong Kong
    Hungary
    Iceland
    India
    Ireland
    Israel
    Italy
    Japan
    Kazakhstan
    Korea
    Latvia
    Liechtenstein
    Lithuania
    Luxembourg
    Macedonia
    Mexico
    Mongolia
    Namibia

Netherlands
    New Zealand
    Norway
    Poland
    Portugal
    Romania
    Russia
    Serbia & Montenegro
    Singapore
    Slovakia
    Slovenia
    South Africa
    Spain
    Sweden
    Switzerland
    Thailand
    Turkey
    Ukraine
    United Arab Emirates
    United States of America

All the nations I labelled in bold are those that I cannot recall registering a national team for any Division III World Championship in years, if ever. I think the IIHF should give these nations a certain amount of time (say 3-5 years) to field even a U18 team for Division III competition. If not, you're out of the IIHF.

Discuss.

2. zecke26

zecke26 Registered User

i somehow agree, but maybe they should try to keep them in the IIHF and help with building a hockey league and a national team. they are members so you can force them to do something without kicking them.

i can somehow understand that some of these countries have other problems than hockey, but portugal, greece and some others should be able to compete with a team.

3. I can't remember seeing a Portuguese team registered for any IIHF tournament, and Greece's last hockey arena shut down last year...and that country is hosting the Olympics. Figure that one out.

I know it seems harsh to threaten to boot these countries, but I only see benefits of them being members if hockey has a chance to grow. In the countries I labelled, I just don't see that potential.

4. cagney

cagney cdojdmccjajgejncjaba

Argentina, Brazil, and Chile field inline hockey teams that have recently competed in the IIHF Inline World Championships.

5. Yeah, I guess I didn't think about that. That being said, I also think roller hockey should be in no way affiliated with ice hockey. In other words, a separate federation for roller hockey should be created, and the IIHF left for real hockey.

6. kacz

kacz Registered User

Home Page:
    Interesting, I too do not see much potential in those countries.

What is worse is the Olympic route only 12 teams involved, since Italy is the host they automatically make it :shakehead (Just because you host the Olympics shouldn't mean you make a tournament which your team does poorly at) While only 3 of Switzerland, Denmark, Japan, Latvia, Belarus, Austria, Ukraine, Kazakhstan will make it.

I think they should change the format for the Olympics, I think there should be an 8 team preliminary with Switzerland, Denmark, Japan, Latvia, Belarus, Austria, Ukraine, Kazakhstan playing and top 4 advance to the group of the "Big 8" (World Cup countries) to make a total of 12 teams and 4 groups.

7. Douggy

Douggy Registered User

Home Page:
    I saw a thing on TV about a year ago about hockey in the United Arab Emirates. They have a few rinks and they have a tournament every year that *some* of the people apparently take pretty seriously. The only people that can play are foreign nationals and rich people who can afford to buy equipment.

8. kacz

kacz Registered User

Home Page:
    Did anybody see that show about hockey in Mongolia? I believe it was aired last year on the NHL Network, it was very interesting.

9. zecke26

zecke26 Registered User

well, it's summer olympics. ;)

and if spain has some hockey, portugal could have it as well.

as long as they pay for being members and help other countries with that money, i'm fine with it. :)

10. roast

roast Registered User

What isn't "real" about inline? The rules are a bit different and there is really no need to alienate those players. IIHF is fine as it is. I could support your idea if the country had neither ice nor inline registered teams for x amount of years.

11. If Greece has the money to put on an Olympic Games, summer or not, they should have the money to keep a hockey arena up and running.

Spain actually fields a national team every year. Portugal does not.

A bit different??? It's a completely different game. The only similarities to ice hockey is the shape of the playing surface and the equipment used.

Roller hockey is 4-on-4, there are no blue lines, the only purpose the centre line has is for hand passes, and there are only two halves instead of three periods.

I have officiated roller hockey, and I will never do it again. I find the game extremely boring, and there is too much scoring. I think the game is different enough from ice hockey to warrant its own international federation.

12. Lionel Hutz

Lionel Hutz Registered User

I will use the words a very wise Junior 'a' coach once said to me, while making me one of the final cuts: "you could get seriously hurt if I let you play at this level".

13. Hosts should always be included. The host committee of any competition work their asses off to earn the right to host. The least they deserve is to have representation in whatever competition they have won. In the Olympics' case, the Italian IOC got the games, they deserve to be represented in every sport possible. Otherwise, hosting an event is pointless.

14. roast

roast Registered User

Some enjoy the high scoring aspect. I've played both and enjoy both equally. I don't see how it is boring, and if anything makes you skate alot more because its 4 on 4. A players weakness can be more easily exposed, particulary skating ability.

15. zecke26

zecke26 Registered User

true, but the question is: is there any interest in hockey in greece? would there be fans? you need people who want to play the game and some who wants to watch. greece has no hockey tradition as far as i know. it's not easy to support a sport who has no other supporters. but one arena would be nice, so maybe something could grow.

do you know if spain has a hockey league or something like that?

16. kacz

kacz Registered User

Home Page:
    But if you look at Greece and field hockey, they dont have a team because obviously they think they would not be able to compete.

In Italy's case they will push out a real hockey country that the Olympic Hockey tournament means everything to them like some of these smaller known countries like Switzerland, Denmark, Belarus, Ukraine, Latvia and more and only 3 of those will advance. Italy is just there so they feel important and to crush a hockey countries dream of playing hockey at the Olympics. But hey, I look forward to seeing some 10-0 games...

Oh and Spain does have a league, obviously not the most popular but it's there...

17. zecke26

zecke26 Registered User

oh nice. do you know a site where i can look it up? i plan to travel across spain sooner or later, but living without hockey is hard. :)

18. Jazz

Jazz Registered User

Home Page:
    I agree with this....except for I agree with keeping in-line hockey a part of the IIHF, so I would expand your condition to include in-line teams.

I made this post in another forum - I'll copy it here:

The title of that show was 'The Hockey Nomad" where a Canadian musician went to the UAE, Romania, and Mongolia to show that hockey does exist there and that the interest there could be harvested. It originally aired on the CBC about a year ago (I think I still have it on VHS-NTSC)

Gurj.

19. Douggy

Douggy Registered User

Home Page:
    Thats the one. I think the guy wrote a book too, didn't he?

20. Raisy

Raisy Registered User

Yup. The guys name is Dave Bidini of the Rheostatics. The book is called Tropics of Hockey and was a fantastic read.

21. kacz

kacz Registered User

Home Page:
    This is all I could find for ya...

http://www.eurohockey.net/es/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.