IIHF member nations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCCHL inactive

I think it's time for the IIHF to take a good look at its member nations and consider re-considering some countries' memberships.

Here is the complete list:

Andorra
Argentina
Armenia
Australia
Austria
Azerbaijan
Belarus
Belgium
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Brazil
Bulgaria
Canada
Chile
China
Chinese Taipei (Taiwan)
Croatia
Czech Republic
Denmark
DPR Korea
Estonia
Finland
France
Germany
Great Britain
Greece
Hong Kong
Hungary
Iceland
India
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Japan
Kazakhstan
Korea
Latvia
Liechtenstein
Lithuania
Luxembourg
Macedonia
Mexico
Mongolia
Namibia

Netherlands
New Zealand
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
Serbia & Montenegro
Singapore
Slovakia
Slovenia
South Africa
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Thailand
Turkey
Ukraine
United Arab Emirates
United States of America

All the nations I labelled in bold are those that I cannot recall registering a national team for any Division III World Championship in years, if ever. I think the IIHF should give these nations a certain amount of time (say 3-5 years) to field even a U18 team for Division III competition. If not, you're out of the IIHF.

Discuss.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Van said:
All the nations I labelled in bold are those that I cannot recall registering a national team for any Division III World Championship in years, if ever. I think the IIHF should give these nations a certain amount of time (say 3-5 years) to field even a U18 team for Division III competition. If not, you're out of the IIHF.

i somehow agree, but maybe they should try to keep them in the IIHF and help with building a hockey league and a national team. they are members so you can force them to do something without kicking them.

i can somehow understand that some of these countries have other problems than hockey, but portugal, greece and some others should be able to compete with a team.

BCCHL inactive

zecke26 said:
i can somehow understand that some of these countries have other problems than hockey, but portugal, greece and some others should be able to compete with a team.

I can't remember seeing a Portuguese team registered for any IIHF tournament, and Greece's last hockey arena shut down last year...and that country is hosting the Olympics. Figure that one out.

I know it seems harsh to threaten to boot these countries, but I only see benefits of them being members if hockey has a chance to grow. In the countries I labelled, I just don't see that potential.

cagney

cdojdmccjajgejncjaba
Jun 17, 2002
Argentina, Brazil, and Chile field inline hockey teams that have recently competed in the IIHF Inline World Championships.

BCCHL inactive

cagney said:
Argentina, Brazil, and Chile field inline hockey teams that have recently competed in the IIHF Inline World Championships.

Yeah, I guess I didn't think about that. That being said, I also think roller hockey should be in no way affiliated with ice hockey. In other words, a separate federation for roller hockey should be created, and the IIHF left for real hockey.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Interesting, I too do not see much potential in those countries.

What is worse is the Olympic route only 12 teams involved, since Italy is the host they automatically make it :shakehead (Just because you host the Olympics shouldn't mean you make a tournament which your team does poorly at) While only 3 of Switzerland, Denmark, Japan, Latvia, Belarus, Austria, Ukraine, Kazakhstan will make it.

I think they should change the format for the Olympics, I think there should be an 8 team preliminary with Switzerland, Denmark, Japan, Latvia, Belarus, Austria, Ukraine, Kazakhstan playing and top 4 advance to the group of the "Big 8" (World Cup countries) to make a total of 12 teams and 4 groups.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
I saw a thing on TV about a year ago about hockey in the United Arab Emirates. They have a few rinks and they have a tournament every year that *some* of the people apparently take pretty seriously. The only people that can play are foreign nationals and rich people who can afford to buy equipment.

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
Did anybody see that show about hockey in Mongolia? I believe it was aired last year on the NHL Network, it was very interesting.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Van said:
I can't remember seeing a Portuguese team registered for any IIHF tournament, and Greece's last hockey arena shut down last year...and that country is hosting the Olympics. Figure that one out.

well, it's summer olympics. ;)

and if spain has some hockey, portugal could have it as well.

I know it seems harsh to threaten to boot these countries, but I only see benefits of them being members if hockey has a chance to grow. In the countries I labelled, I just don't see that potential.

as long as they pay for being members and help other countries with that money, i'm fine with it. :)

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Van said:
Yeah, I guess I didn't think about that. That being said, I also think roller hockey should be in no way affiliated with ice hockey. In other words, a separate federation for roller hockey should be created, and the IIHF left for real hockey.

What isn't "real" about inline? The rules are a bit different and there is really no need to alienate those players. IIHF is fine as it is. I could support your idea if the country had neither ice nor inline registered teams for x amount of years.

BCCHL inactive

zecke26 said:
well, it's summer olympics. ;)

and if spain has some hockey, portugal could have it as well.

If Greece has the money to put on an Olympic Games, summer or not, they should have the money to keep a hockey arena up and running.

Spain actually fields a national team every year. Portugal does not.

roast said:
What isn't "real" about inline? The rules are a bit different and there is really no need to alienate those players. IIHF is fine as it is. I could support your idea if the country had neither ice nor inline registered teams for x amount of years.

A bit different??? It's a completely different game. The only similarities to ice hockey is the shape of the playing surface and the equipment used.

Roller hockey is 4-on-4, there are no blue lines, the only purpose the centre line has is for hand passes, and there are only two halves instead of three periods.

I have officiated roller hockey, and I will never do it again. I find the game extremely boring, and there is too much scoring. I think the game is different enough from ice hockey to warrant its own international federation.

Lionel Hutz

Apr 13, 2004
Locking the Lounge??
Zherdev said:
Italy is the host they automatically make it :shakehead (Just because you host the Olympics shouldn't mean you make a tournament which your team does poorly at).

I will use the words a very wise Junior 'a' coach once said to me, while making me one of the final cuts: "you could get seriously hurt if I let you play at this level".

BCCHL inactive

Zherdev said:
What is worse is the Olympic route only 12 teams involved, since Italy is the host they automatically make it :shakehead (Just because you host the Olympics shouldn't mean you make a tournament which your team does poorly at)

Hosts should always be included. The host committee of any competition work their asses off to earn the right to host. The least they deserve is to have representation in whatever competition they have won. In the Olympics' case, the Italian IOC got the games, they deserve to be represented in every sport possible. Otherwise, hosting an event is pointless.

roast

Mar 3, 2004
Pittsburgh
Van said:
If Greece has the money to put on an Olympic Games, summer or not, they should have the money to keep a hockey arena up and running.

A bit different??? It's a completely different game. The only similarities to ice hockey is the shape of the playing surface and the equipment used.

Roller hockey is 4-on-4, there are no blue lines, the only purpose the centre line has is for hand passes, and there are only two halves instead of three periods.

I have officiated roller hockey, and I will never do it again. I find the game extremely boring, and there is too much scoring. I think the game is different enough from ice hockey to warrant its own international federation.

Some enjoy the high scoring aspect. I've played both and enjoy both equally. I don't see how it is boring, and if anything makes you skate alot more because its 4 on 4. A players weakness can be more easily exposed, particulary skating ability.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Van said:

true, but the question is: is there any interest in hockey in greece? would there be fans? you need people who want to play the game and some who wants to watch. greece has no hockey tradition as far as i know. it's not easy to support a sport who has no other supporters. but one arena would be nice, so maybe something could grow.

do you know if spain has a hockey league or something like that?

kacz

Jul 1, 2003
www.youtube.com
But if you look at Greece and field hockey, they dont have a team because obviously they think they would not be able to compete.

In Italy's case they will push out a real hockey country that the Olympic Hockey tournament means everything to them like some of these smaller known countries like Switzerland, Denmark, Belarus, Ukraine, Latvia and more and only 3 of those will advance. Italy is just there so they feel important and to crush a hockey countries dream of playing hockey at the Olympics. But hey, I look forward to seeing some 10-0 games...

Oh and Spain does have a league, obviously not the most popular but it's there...

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
Zherdev said:
Oh and Spain does have a league, obviously not the most popular but it's there...

oh nice. do you know a site where i can look it up? i plan to travel across spain sooner or later, but living without hockey is hard. :)

Jazz

Van said:

Discuss.

I agree with this....except for I agree with keeping in-line hockey a part of the IIHF, so I would expand your condition to include in-line teams.

Van said:

I made this post in another forum - I'll copy it here:

Gurj said:
For those of you who have not yet heard, Greece is such a country where Ice hockey is has been facing extinction for a number of years now.

Brief background:
Ice Hockey started in Greece in 1984 by players that returned to Greece from abroad. The first official Greek Championship was held in 1989 in the Peace and Friendship Stadium with five teams taking place. It was the first time hockey games were held in a normal size rink. In 1990 the first Junior National Team was formed and took part in the World Junior Championship Pool C, held in Yugoslavia. In 1991 the Junior National Team took part in the World Junior Championship, held in Italy. In 1992 the first ever Men's Greek National Team was formed and took place in the World Championships Pool C held in South Africa. With only two weeks of serious training abroad and the support of the Greeks of South Africa, the National Team won the Bronze medal. It was extraordinary for a team to win a medal in their first appearence at the World Championships.

Despite the great achievement, the start of the decline of the sport came in 1993. Economic help was discontinued by the Greek Undersecretary of State for Sports and all expenses to keep ice hockey alive were passed over to the players. Practices stopped and many players quit.
You can read the story here.

From here, the sport was funded by the players themselves, who rented ice time, purchased their equipment and paid for their own travels who had to take these critical measures after the ceasation of Government funding.

Last year, the last Ice rink was shut-down (there has been no ice since May of 2003) and that rink has been recently demolished.

There will be no end in sight with the present state of affairs in Greece in light of the recent cost-overruns incurred to stage the 2004 Summer Olympics.
An interesting note is that the Athens Organizing Commitee approached the IOC asking them to drop Baseball from this Olympics because there is no history/culture of the sport in Greece. The IOC responded by saying that the entire point of the Oympics is to have legacies, so sports not indigenous to a certain area can get off the ground. Thus, a sport with no-one fighting for it gets the Olympic funding to built stadiums and the legacy of the Games might cause that sport to get off the ground, whereas soon the only ice in Greece will be in drink glasses.

Anyways, you can read the sad state of affairs here: http://www.icehockey.gr :eek: :eek:

Douggy said:
I saw a thing on TV about a year ago about hockey in the United Arab Emirates. They have a few rinks and they have a tournament every year that *some* of the people apparently take pretty seriously. The only people that can play are foreign nationals and rich people who can afford to buy equipment.

The title of that show was 'The Hockey Nomad" where a Canadian musician went to the UAE, Romania, and Mongolia to show that hockey does exist there and that the interest there could be harvested. It originally aired on the CBC about a year ago (I think I still have it on VHS-NTSC)

Gurj.

Douggy

Dec 22, 2002
London, Ontario
Visit site
Gurj said:
The title of that show was 'The Hockey Nomad" where a Canadian musician went to the UAE, Romania, and Mongolia to show that hockey does exist there and that the interest there could be harvested. It originally aired on the CBC about a year ago (I think I still have it on VHS-NTSC)

Gurj.
Thats the one. I think the guy wrote a book too, didn't he?

Raisy

Oct 27, 2003
Douggy said:
Thats the one. I think the guy wrote a book too, didn't he?

Yup. The guys name is Dave Bidini of the Rheostatics. The book is called Tropics of Hockey and was a fantastic read.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad