IIHF changes their opinion on KHL Expansion?

VladNYC*

So I was reading our buddy Vorky's website when I ran into a very interesting article with a quote from IIHF President Fasel about the KHL.

Fasel said:
"I'm very happy with KHL development in Europe. I admit that I was very astonished at the success of the club in Bratislava, in a positive way. Slovan has emerged as a pioneering project, and not just the sports page, but also commercial. I was convinced that Leo fan loses fight for competition in Sparta and Slavia, but nothing has been held. Czechs proved to be conservative and happy to come to the KHL matches. From now on I will not be against extending the KHL the European West, "

The rest is here:
http://webhokej24.sk/rusko/khl-komentare/iihf-meni-postoj-ku-khl-novym-vyjednavacom-bude-prezident-ska-gennadij-timcenko

WTF? :help: Wasn't this guy completely against KHL expansion a year ago? What happened? I try not to read Fasel stuff ,as I am not a big fanof his, but what has happened in the last year to change this guy's opinion? It can't just be Slovan and Lev doing well. Is the KHL supporting some IIHF project I am unaware of?

Babula

May 31, 2012
impossible. If I'll be ever believe, that he said it. (No offense Vorky :)) ,I will do not believe, he really mean it. At least, I'm sure, He is not happy about what he had to say.

ult

Sep 21, 2009
He did say that. And he met with Putin in Sochi a month ago.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
He did say that. And he met with Putin in Sochi a month ago.

Yep, you know, it is not only about this statement to Sport-Express but about attitude of Fasel since 2011 or 2012. He changed it, who knows why :sarcasm:

Babula

May 31, 2012
Seriously, who knows why? Have I start to believe, he really changed opinion ?

ult

Sep 21, 2009
Seriously, who knows why? Have I start to believe, he really changed opinion ?

I don't know. People say Fasel went to meet with Putin and tell him that this expansion has to stop. Half an hour later he came back wearing Shapka-Ushanka, singing praises to glorious KHL. Though there was this minor incident at the border crossing when his fingerprints didn't match, but nothing serious.

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Why shouldn't they be able to change their mind? Before everyone said KHL will fail in Central Europe. Then they saw that Lev Prague had a good first year despite heavy competition by Sparta and Slavia and Slovan Bratislava had an amazing first KHL season. ;) Both teams also developed a nice rivalry already.

If KHL workds in Medvescak aswell doors are open for more teams in the West.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Is it coincidence that Timchenko is KHL´s negotiator at IIHF´s HQ?

VladNYC*

Why shouldn't they be able to change their mind? Before everyone said KHL will fail in Central Europe. Then they saw that Lev Prague had a good first year despite heavy competition by Sparta and Slavia and Slovan Bratislava had an amazing first KHL season. ;) Both teams also developed a nice rivalry already.

If KHL workds in Medvescak aswell doors are open for more teams in the West.

Because that's not how it works. There is money somewhere being exchanged. Any one know if the KHL recently decided to fund something for the IIHF?

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
Because that's not how it works. There is money somewhere being exchanged. Any one know if the KHL recently decided to fund something for the IIHF?

Maybe it's exactly the opposite and KHL threatened to play during IIHF WC as the NHL does. ;) Then the tournament would be worth nothing anymore. :laugh:

Vicente

Jun 6, 2012
Cologne
It would just make team Russia worthless (Latvia probably too) in the tournament, not the tournament itself

Don't Finland, Belarus, Slovakia or Czech Republic need their best players outside of their home leagues?

Russia: 18
Slovakia: 16
Latvia: 13
Belarus: 10
Finland: 9
Czech Republic: 6
Sweden: 5
Norway: 2
---------------------------------------------
79 KHL players participated at the tournament

Last edited:

Ad