Proposal: Iginla to SJ at deadline

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Sharks could use a scoring winger, and Iginla would be extremely motivated going into the playoffs on a cup contending team. His stats are garbage this year, but were solid last year, and the Avs have been a hot mess all season.

Sharks move out someone like Dillon who could be taken in expansion, and would free up the cap space as well. Avs need some solid defensemen.

Sharks

Dillon
6th round pick

Avs

Iginla (50%)

Karlsson-Thornton-Pavs
Marleau-Couture-Boedker
Meier-Hertl-Iginla
Labanc-Tierney-Ward

Mal Reynolds

never goes smooth, how come it never goes smooth?
Sep 28, 2008
Would think the Avs prefer a pick over a guy they would probably then have to expose in expansion.

Value isn't bad however.

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Sure, why not. Don't really want Iginla, but that would free up some cap space. Would rather Martin goes.

weastern bias

worst team in the league
Feb 3, 2012
SJ
I don't think it would help the Sharks that much

If we're adding a scoring winger I'd rather pay a premium price for a prime aged guy, Iginla would have been great to add to the team like 5 years ago

Vaasa

Aug 23, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Don't want Igninla. Just isn't the player he used to be and I think keeping Dillon would help the team more than getting Iginla would.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Don't want anything to do with Brendan Dillon.

If the Avs are retaining 50% of Iginla's contract, they're going to get a much better draft pick than a 6th based on name value alone.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
This Sharks fan wants nothing to do with Iginla. If they are going to move Dillon in a trade it should be part of a package for a forward that is in their prime and contributing a hell of a lot more than Iginla does.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Give us a 2nd/3rd round pick and get him to waive, and Iggy is yours. Not too interested in moving him for a depth defender and a lesser pick.

I wasn't exactly sure the expansion situation for the Avs

Currently the Avs have EJ, Barrie & Zadorov on the back end who are worth protecting; Beauchemin's NMC clause will require him to be protected as well if he's not traded or bought out...which seems likely.

Up front our only forwards worth protecting are Duchene, Landeskog, and MacKinnon. After those three we'd be picking between Nieto, Soderberg, Grigorenko and Comeau; none of whom would be all that devastating to lose, and in Soderberg's case the organization may actually want to lose him to expansion given his contract and how poorly he & Bednar are working out.

I'd rather have a better pick. Iginla is probably our only way to get a top 100 pick back.

Tyutin could get us a top 100 pick as well. Unlike Beauch he still has something left in the tank as a bottom pairing shutdown guy & PKer.

Last edited:

bear16

Dec 20, 2013
Don't want anything to do with Brendan Dillon.

If the Avs are retaining 50% of Iginla's contract, they're going to get a much better draft pick than a 6th based on name value alone.

This.

Avs finally get rid of Iginla only to take on Dillon for 3 more years?

1. He's not the answer to COL's D problem.
2. They can't protect him anyway.
3. There's also no guarantee that LV takes him off their hands. :shakehead

I agree that with COL retaining 50% on his contract, a contender will be willing to give up a 4th round, maybe even 3rd round pick for him.

AgentCooper

May 10, 2009
Boston
Not interested. Dillon has been good this year, and defensive depth is more valuable to us than Iginla. Plus, I doubt Dillon is the type of player the Avs are looking for. He plays well with Schlemko, but I could see him being an absolute wreck in Colorado.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Seems like an overpayment by SJ to me. Colorado probably won't be given any extra incentive to retain salary on Iginla because he's just so massively overpaid. I think he would fit in well with SJ and would love to see him win a cup there

IWantSakicAsMyGM

Oct 13, 2011
Colorado
Seems like an overpayment by SJ to me. Colorado probably won't be given any extra incentive to retain salary on Iginla because he's just so massively overpaid. I think he would fit in well with SJ and would love to see him win a cup there

True, but Sakic might be willing to retain without extra incentive just to give Iggy a shot at a Cup.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com

On a one year deal of 5.4 million for a player with 14 points, Colorado will be retaining salary no matter what at the deadline. And as well they should if they think they're going to get something good for him.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
Iginla definitely has some value on any 2nd PP unit, but anything more than a conditional pick and cap dump is too much to expect for Avs fans.

Start with Iginla for a 5th rd pick/cap dump and the pick goes up to 4th for Conf Finals, 3rd for Finals Loss, 2nd for Cup win.

DuckEatinShark

GET ALL THE PPs!!!!
Jul 20, 2009
San Jose
NHL.com stat checker or Avalanche game watcher? Every single Avalanche player is underperforming. Throw Iginla on a team that actually scores PP goals and he'd be more around 15 now.

Then he shouldn't play for the Sharks. Our PP has been garbage throughout the year. We need someone that can help the PP.

A 4th plus cap dump is as far as I'll go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad