Proposal: Iginla to Montreal

Prairie Habs

Oct 3, 2010
Yeah I'd give up maybe a 4th for him at 50% retained, rather just go for Jagr

While Jagr isn't playing quite as bad as Iginla its pretty much just paying for the name again. Jagr puts up all his points early in the season and is completely gassed by the playoffs. He's not even putting up that many points early this year so imagine how he will be playing 4 months from now.

I'm sure there are available players who weren't born in the 70's.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
He has what, 10 points on the season? And he's been given ample amounts of PP time to boot where the primary focus has been to tailor to him and set him up for shots.

As soon as the guy gets the puck, the only thought I have is "instant turnover upcoming". He's brutal. He can't handle the puck, struggles to make simple passes, is a very slow skater. He just can't cut it anymore. Not good enough to play top-6, too slow/passive/soft to play bottom-6

He's on the 2nd PP unit and 4th on the team in PP points. Sounds about what you'd expect of a 2nd PP unit guy, if not slightly better. Maybe that's because it's tailored to him; I don't watch the Avs every game. But from the games I have seen, it really doesn't look like he's an offensive focus; if anything I see him get ignored by subpar teammates who don't realize there's an open passing lane to him.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
He's on the 2nd PP unit and 4th on the team in PP points. Sounds about what you'd expect of a 2nd PP unit guy, if not slightly better. Maybe that's because it's tailored to him; I don't watch the Avs every game. But from the games I have seen, it really doesn't look like he's an offensive focus; if anything I see him get ignored by subpar teammates who don't realize there's an open passing lane to him.

Well, there's the problem then.

Up until about 5-6 games ago, Iginla was on the 1st unit PP with MacKinnon, Rantanen, Duchene, and Barrie. And all that was happening was the Avs would pass it around the perimeter and try to feed Iginla for his now-pathetic one-timer.

Given the opportunities he's had this season, he should be 1st in PP points.

He's really a useless player. Lazy, can't skate, loses almost every battle, and doesn't have much of a shot anymore unless he's wide, WIDE open

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
5th or 4th is probably not worth the $ 750k it would cost to retain half of his salary at the deadline.

If we retain half it IMO should at least be a 3rd coming our way.

A 3rd falls into the category of "A GM stupid enough to think Iggy as a player" scenario.

Iginla was a great player. But he's 39 this year, and has 10 points while being the trigger on the PP. I don't know about you, but that's not a player i'd expect any team to give a 3rd for.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
A 3rd falls into the category of "A GM stupid enough to think Iggy as a player" scenario.

Iginla was a great player. But he's 39 this year, and has 10 points while being the trigger on the PP. I don't know about you, but that's a player i'd expect any team to give a 3rd for.

Well he is on the Avs right now.

I want him gone asap and he blows but he still is Iginla.

Someone will gamble on him having something left in the tank.

And I would not be shocked if he markedly improved his play after that on another team.

My whole point is that you don't retain half of his salary if you can only get a 4th or 5th for him.

That is way too much money to throw away for little gain.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Well he is on the Avs right now.

I want him gone asap and he blows but he still is Iginla.

Someone will gamble on him having something left in the tank.

And I would not be shocked if he markedly improved his play after that on another team.

My whole point is that you don't retain half of his salary if you can only get a 4th or 5th for him.

That is way too much money to throw away for little gain.

Iginla is going to be a complimentary piece to whatever team trades for him, they'll most likely acquire another impact player as well. Those teams aren't going to be able to afford Iginla's remaining salary at the deadline. I'd much rather get a 5th with 50% retained than future considerations with nothing retained.

If he had his production from last year I'd agree with you, but with his current play and production I don't even know if a team will gamble on him at the deadline, and certainly not for a 3rd. If someone offers that, great. But if we were a playoff team looking to shore up our offense, I sure as hell wouldn't want a 39 yr old Iginla if it costed a 3rd.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Why do some Habs fans not understand that we don't need more RWs...

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

Me neither. No way to know for sure unless he does get traded, but there are tons of situations where a player is traded from a bad team and ends up playing quite well. It's not exactly motivating to be playing for a bottom 3 team in the league. Especially when you've been around for 20 years and you have to work twice as hard as a guy in his prime just to keep in shape.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
The truth is, the only reason he put up points last year and the year before is that the Avs constructed their PP in such a way that all pucks are channeled to him, which neutered the rest of the players on the PP.

He scored 8 of his 29 goals in 2014-15 on the powerplay which seems to suggest that your "truth" is actually utter nonsense.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Considering Brendan Gallagher, who is a right wing, had his hand obliterated by a Shea Weber slap shot last night it's odd that you, as a Habs fan don't see the need for more RWs.

Shaw will be back soon. We're already missing a bunch of players - yet, still manage to win games. Woe is us...

Mackiaveli

Nov 24, 2015
Why do some Habs fans not understand that we don't need more RWs...

Iggy can play LW. He also may find gas when chasing a cup, he doesn't seem bad/slow as much as he just seems lazy and unmotivated. I'd be too if my team was sandbagging the season with so much offensive talent as well.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Considering Brendan Gallagher, who is a right wing, had his hand obliterated by a Shea Weber slap shot last night it's odd that you, as a Habs fan don't see the need for more RWs.

Until we know more about Gallagher' injury (or Shaw's for that matter), its strange that you, a Habs fan, seems so sure that Montreal needs a RWer.

Iginla just isn't what he once was. He's not even close. He's not a good fit for the Habs.

Iggy can play LW. He also may find gas when chasing a cup, he doesn't seem bad/slow as much as he just seems lazy and unmotivated. I'd be too if my team was sandbagging the season with so much offensive talent as well.

Better to go after an actual LW then, especially since Iginla hasn't played LW all that well for a while now.

And is your argument that Montreal should take an [expensive] chance on Iginla because he's ... lazy and disinterested? Because I don't think you actually follow the Habs if you think they'd ever acquire a player like that.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011

The only time in his career that I've seen him play LW was with Pittsburgh and that didn't go particularly well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad