Iginla the Missing Link on the PP?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
looking forward to reading, but i'll say before I read: Iginla specificaly wasn't the missing link, but a player (preferably RHS) to play the left side of the ice and either take advantage of or prevent the other team from just suffocating the right side of the rink (Where the majority of our players congregate on the PP).

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
As Ice Capp said we were desperately missing that RH shooter down low and with Iginla he doesn't think twice with the puck. He is a sniper and shoot 1st type of guy. It's nice passing the puck around for 2 minutes but we needed that shooter. Even Neal was starting to pass the puck way too much instead of taking the shot

JWells16

Nov 4, 2006
Raleigh, NC
We've been missing a threat on that side for years. Before that, it was all about setting up Malkin/Sid on the opposite side, and opposing teams saw it coming. (Sometimes it still worked.) Now, we have a legitimate threat on both sides and PKers have to stay honest.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
To be honest, I think Bennett might be even better there.

Without Malkin or Crosby in the lineup, I can buy that since his puck distribution is really important. In a full lineup though, Iggy's presence alone is makes him more valuable than Bennett on the 1st unit. Being able to fire bombs from either side of the ice is huge.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
When Neal, Martin and Crosby get back, this power play could be amazing.... Letang, Martin, Iginla, Morrow, Kunitz, Malkin, crosby, neal, Dupruis, Niskanen... maybe even bennet... you could have two great units out there

Harv

R.I.P. Pavol.
Dec 30, 2007
To be honest, I think Bennett might be even better there.

Ehh...

Bennett looks like a baby horse trying to stand when he one-times a puck from that side ...

Jarome Iginla looks like a space shuttle launching when he lets one-timers loose from that side..

Sidney BrOSSby*

Locked in the Washer
Nov 28, 2007
Kampuchia
Iginla is more experienced. Sid's never been Joe Thornton on the power play. It's a shame. I think people hear Crosby and automatically think he's a wiz at everything. His best success is down low off to the right side of the net, shooting/deflecting/chipping in rebounds. Jarome keeps the puck off of Crosby's stick. I have absolutely no faith in Crosby as a PP quarterback.

Malkin quarterbacking from the right point with Neal to his right, Crosby by the net, Kris Letang (who is dysfunctional) on the left point and Kunitz in front. Or Morrow. I guess Jarome gets Letang's place at the point. That's 5 forwards, hmmm.

BumFortyOne

Nov 13, 2006
Berkeley
Iginla is more experienced. Sid's never been Joe Thornton on the power play. It's a shame. I think people hear Crosby and automatically think he's a wiz at everything. His best success is down low off to the right side of the net, shooting/deflecting/chipping in rebounds. Jarome keeps the puck off of Crosby's stick. I have absolutely no faith in Crosby as a PP quarterback.

Malkin quarterbacking from the right point with Neal to his right, Crosby by the net, Kris Letang (who is dysfunctional) on the left point and Kunitz in front. Or Morrow. I guess Jarome gets Letang's place at the point. That's 5 forwards, hmmm.

Not sure if serious... :help:

In 2006-07, Crosby had 61 powerplay points, 7 more than Joe Thornton who was in his prime. Gonchar may have been the "quaterback" but Crosby was the one that made things happen out there. I do agree though that at this point his best place may be down low by the net for deflections and making quick plays in tight.

As to the thread topic, it's been obvious for years that what was missing from the powerplay was a triggerman from the LW circle so that teams couldn't overload on Crosby and Malkin on the right-wall. It doesn't help that they both like the same area of the ice on the powerplay.

It will be interesting to see who Bylsma decides to roll out there on the first unit. Crosby, Malkin and Iginla are locks. Probably Letang as well. It's tough to take Neal off the first unit with the success he's had on the powerplay in his time here, but having Kunitz in front of the net may be more necessary.

Splitting up the powerplay units is now a viable option with the depth this team has, though I doubt we see it.

Kunitz/Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Martin/Niskanen

Morrow/Kunitz-Crosby-Jokinen
Iginla-Letang

Sidney BrOSSby*

Locked in the Washer
Nov 28, 2007
Kampuchia

I am, and I'm fairly sure I know exactly what I ment.

In 2006-07, Crosby had 61 powerplay points, 7 more than Joe Thornton who was in his prime. Gonchar may have been the "quaterback" but Crosby was the one that made things happen out there. I do agree though that at this point his best place may be down low by the net for deflections and making quick plays in tight.
I admit the Thornton comparison was not best fit. He's on the opposite side of the ice. In 06-07 Crosby was taking people by surprise. He's simply not a great playmaker on the power play like Thornton. Thornton is an elite special case. Maybe like Adam Oats, or Marc Savard to a lesser extent. Sid's about clutch tenacity and quick thinking not threading the needle.
As to the thread topic, it's been obvious for years that what was missing from the powerplay was a triggerman from the LW circle so that teams couldn't overload on Crosby and Malkin on the right-wall. It doesn't help that they both like the same area of the ice on the powerplay.

It will be interesting to see who Bylsma decides to roll out there on the first unit. Crosby, Malkin and Iginla are locks. Probably Letang as well. It's tough to take Neal off the first unit with the success he's had on the powerplay in his time here, but having Kunitz in front of the net may be more necessary.
The idea of Kunitz in front of the net being necessary is silly. There are other options.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009

Splitting up the powerplay units is now a viable option with the depth this team has, though I doubt we see it.

Kunitz/Morrow-Malkin-Neal
Bennett-Martin/Niskanen

Morrow/Kunitz-Crosby-Jokinen
Iginla-Letang

Yea, the problem with Crosby isn't Crosby, the problem is all of the talent wants the same 5-feet of ice.

Fordy

May 28, 2008

This is absurd, I'm facepalming like a Lucic domestic abuse joke.

Fordy

May 28, 2008
I've said it before, but we've seen Kunitz try to get passes to Iginla from down low. The few times he's gotten it through, it's worked. It's easy to imagine how many more passes Sid can get to him than Kunitz.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad