Confirmed with Link: Iginla Joins the Flames as Special Advisor to GM

Backlund

Dec 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
As someone on another site posted, it is better to hire Iggy for a role like this rather than in a coaching job where he could get fired somewhere down the road.

If Iginla were to coach I doubt they would outright fire him. They would just move him upstairs.

Reactions: Boomstick

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Cool to have a team legend back in the fold. Hope it all works out.
Really hope that these guys take a step back and think of a real roadmap for this team. I've felt directionless for a solid 15 years (in terms of how I view this club).

Kaiden Ghoul

Youppi va t’il devoir chauser ses patins calvaince
Jan 19, 2020
Hope he win a cup with you guys in a management role, was rooting like hell for you against TB, one of my favorite of all time

Reactions: Boomstick

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I can’t picture Iggy being anything but a coach tbh. But him being back is a nice story

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Great role for him to start out in. One thing that hasn’t been touched on is this organization is just adding downright fantastic people into the fold. Conroy and Iginla are outstanding individuals according to anyone who has met them, more people like that in the fold can never be a bad thing.

On a side note, if we draft any of this classes large group of power forwards (Honzek, But, Ritchie, Wood), Iginla’s day to day better be literally trying to turn them into him. All their scouting reports read pretty similar, good to great skating (except Wood) with a cannon of a shot (except Honzek).

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
I like having Iggy back but I also feel as though it paints a pretty grey future for the next 5 years or so. Can't really see Iggy being brought into the mix for re-tool purposes. I'd expect very few picks for the next half a decade and the core basically being run back until our aging players are next to worthless. Very similar to the late 2000's.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
It's a crime Iggy never got to win the cup. Hopefully we get it done with him as part of management.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Woohoo!

What @Dube Dube Doo fails to realize is that while the Oilers' old boys are stupid and incompetent, ours are flawless and beautiful.
Or the fact the old boys club was there for years and years past their expiry date as managers.

Zero issues with this, someone was going to nab him for a front office role. If it had been Boston this fanbase would be livid. Heck, the Flyers just hired a bunch more ex players yesterday too.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Great PR move by the Flames. Glad to see Iginla back in the fold. I suspect Jarmoe will become the team's new front man when it comes to meeting with prospective elite players and trying to get them to sign with the club.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00