Confirmed with Link: Iginla Joins the Flames as Special Advisor to GM

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Going all obc. If Edmonton did this we’d laugh.

Hockey fans are some of the biggest hypocrites around lol. Cool I guess, but I’m going to judge him off his performance and the performance of this management group. If they are great, it’ll be pretty legendary. But it will really suck if some of our greats end up becoming whipping boys.

beakerboy

Sep 23, 2009
Wisconsin
At least Iggy has been doing hockey work in Kelowna, so it isn't a complete old boys club move. I don't understand the jubilation for what is essentially a part time job while he continues with his academy work.

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
Special advisor to GM sounds like he's gonna start learning to be GM by watching and observing. It's not like he's assistant GM.

Reactions: Nanuuk

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com

Hockey fans are some of the biggest hypocrites around lol. Cool I guess, but I’m going to judge him off his performance and the performance of this management group. If they are great, it’ll be pretty legendary. But it will really suck if some of our greats end up becoming whipping boys.

He's just an advisor. Kinda like what I guess SY did with Detroit before going to Tampa.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Terrible take. What was Conroys first role when returning to the org?

Reactions: Nanuuk

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
Special Advisor the the GM. That was 9 years ago.
Stepping stone. You don’t see my disagreeing. The point is this hire largely seem to be on the merit of “he’s a former legendary player” rather than anything else. And that is fine, but he (along with Connie) won’t be getting any passes from me despite their former legendary status if I feel the direction of the club is poor.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
Stepping stone. You don’t see my disagreeing. The point is this hire largely seem to be on the merit of “he’s a former legendary player” rather than anything else. And that is fine, but he (along with Connie) won’t be getting any passes from me despite their former legendary status if I feel the direction of the club is poor.

And I agree, I just don't think it makes Flames fans hypocritical to be happy that Iginla is joining the org. The obvious comparison being the OBC in Edmonton pre-McDavid.

Those guys were largely given leading roles without any prior management experience and there was little to no accountability for an entire decade.

We will have to see what these guys do, and how ownership holds them accountable. Hopefully if its a bad job they aren't in charge long. I think though, you look at the roles Conroy had to go through to get to be GM and it is in stark contrast to the way guys were given high level roles in Edmonton.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
And I agree, I just don't think it makes Flames fans hypocritical to be happy that Iginla is joining the org. The obvious comparison being the OBC in Edmonton pre-McDavid.

Those guys were largely given leading roles without any prior management experience and there was little to no accountability for an entire decade.

We will have to see what these guys do, and how ownership holds them accountable. Hopefully if its a bad job they aren't in charge long. I think though, you look at the roles Conroy had to go through to get to be GM and it is in stark contrast to the way guys were given high level roles in Edmonton.
Fair enough. It isn’t a straight shot 1 on 1 comparison.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
My childhood dream of Jarome Iginla lifting the Stanley Cup for the Calgary Flames has been resurrected. This is a good day.

Those guys were all unlikeable idiots tho.
Also important to note they all won multiple SCs with the Oilers. Conroy and Iginla came really painfully close but fell short. I think competitors like them would have more fire to do it at the executive level than a bunch of guys who wanted to hang out and get drunk and fat on Katz' dime.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
Sooner or later, someone was going to approach Iggy to take on a role in the NHL if he was open to it. His profile is that high in the league.

As a special advisor not only will he been introduced to the management side of things, but he can help the GM and AGM's perspective on players within and outside of the organization, cold eye reviews of the team's performance (when he gets to take in a game), defacto scouting of junior players, PR work while flashing that million dollar smile, and occasionally addressing the team. He might also prove to be invaluable as a sounding board for the team captain (file under been there, done that).

All in all, I'm thrilled for Iggy and the organization.

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
Assistant to the GM or something along this lines from what I recall lol

I’m assuming this is a stepping stone to something larger eventually.

I would assume so. But I also assume that during this time they can evaluate if he is the right fit for this position 4-6 years down the road if Connie ends up being not the right guy for the next few years. to me just a bit different than OBC where they would basically hire internally without any thought about it. Like I'm ok with former players and such being hired if they have those qualities and are trained in such a capacity.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad