Iggy passes on WHC

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Iginla and Sakic haven't played hockey at all in the last year.

And I predicted months ago that neither will play in the World Championships.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Masao said:
With all the players bailing out, it kinda gives the impression that no one cares about the worlds anymore...

Is that the beginning of Canada's "excuses"? :lol:

Puckclektr

Jul 15, 2004
GTA
Some people make it seem like this tournament is mandatory for great players like Iginla. He doesn't need an excuse. If he doesn't want to play, he doesn't have to play.

incawg

Mar 7, 2003
Canuckland
Visit site
tangible_faith said:
Some people make it seem like this tournament is mandatory for great players like Iginla. He doesn't need an excuse. If he doesn't want to play, he doesn't have to play.

I tend to agree. This isn't the olympics or even the world cup.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
incawg said:
or even the world cup.

That's the point of view of a Canadian.

Now the point of view of most European fans.

1. Olympics
2. 2005 Austria World Championship
3. Canada so called "World" Cup

All the players in the World are available, there are no excuses for not bringing the best you can.

espo*

wilka91 said:
You've been winding up this for awhile now....hyping this tournament as a best ever when everyone on here knows that it for sure isn't so when a fully loaded Russian team that has all it's best players and have been playing in europe all year win the thing you can harp about russian greatness all year long.you fool no-one.....hell sweden won't even have sundin,Forsberg,Lidstrom and Naslund and look like they won't have several others....that's a best on best tournament? Whatever pal....Russia will probably pull one of their can't get it together jobs and finish fourth or worse anyway and then what'll you do? It's easy to see your tricks,like a robber trying to break into your house with tin cans tied to his feet.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
cyclops said:
You've been winding up this for awhile now....hyping this tournament as a best ever when everyone on here knows that it for sure isn't so when a fully loaded Russian team that has all it's best players and have been playing in europe all year win the thing you can harp about russian greatness all year long.you fool no-one.....hell sweden won't even have sundin,Forsberg,Lidstrom and Naslund and look like they won't have several others....that's a best on best tournament? Whatever pal....Russia will probably pull one of their can't get it together jobs and finish fourth or worse anyway and then what'll you do? It's easy to see your tricks,like a robber trying to break into your house with tin cans tied to his feet.

Your logic applied to 2004 World Cup :

hell Russia didn't have Fedorov, Zhamnov, Mogilny, the Bure brothers, Zubov, Malakhov, Danny Markov, Khabibulin and Nabokov and several others ... that was a best on best tournament? Whatever pal

I can easily see your tricks man : you're just looking for an excuse by minimizing the importance of the World championship because mr. Iggy isn't going to play. That'all. And if Canada is going to win you'll be the first one to cry out loud "CANADA IS THE BEST".

Last edited:

Jaysfanatic*

wilka91 said:

hell Russia didn't have Fedorov, Zhamnov, Mogilny, the Bure brothers, Zubov, Malakhov, Danny Markov, Khabibulin and Nabokov and several others ... that was a best on best tournament? Whatever pal

I can easily see your tricks man : you're just looking for an excuse by minimizing the importance of the World championship because mr. Iggy isn't going to play. That'all. And if Canada is going to win you'll be the first one to cry out loud "CANADA IS THE BEST".

Ah, the Canada bash.....never gets old :) We didn't need Iginla or Sakic in 2004 or in 2003 when we won that gold medal. Heatley will likely play, Luongo, and Brodeur are in.......don't you worry my son, Canada will do juuuuuuuust fine, and then you can try and bash us some more, but we won't be listening, cause we'll be admiring our 3rd consecutive champioship win :)

To my Canadian brethren: Lets try and make this a tourney about who's coming, not who isn't, because the logo on the front is more important than the name on the back. I'll cheer this team even if Randy Robitaille was our best player.

espo*

wilka91 said:

Call it whatever you want,we've already been over to these "B" world championships before and won them,we are two time defending champs.No Fedorov or Mogilny? No Pronger or Blake or Redden or Jovanovski brother...and we handled you guys easily...what's your excuse? You like to slag Canada because we beat you and you don't like it....i can understand that as i sure as hell would'nt want to lose to you guys but don't pull any "best on best" horses&5it on me because we both know it isn't true. Send your best team anyway cat........of course i'll be on here saying we're the best if we win this tournament,not that we have to win it for you to know that(and you do) but if we do it's just more proof.....,after all we've beat your best with a "b" team right? We're equal opportuinity employers............we can beat you without your best ,without our best and with your best. And then what's your excuse? It's tough to be on top with guys like you...............everyone wants to take us down because we're number one,not because we are not.We'll fight to keep it that way regardless of who you have available and what we have and we'll fight you hard as always,that's what we do so make sure you're dream team is ready.If we were'nt number one you're constant pathetic chirping at us would'nt happen.I call it Reilly disease...........and you've got a bad dose of it.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
I'm sorry but your message is way too long for me to read. If Canada wins, Canada remains the best. If Finland wins, they're number 1. Sweden, even with it stars, never won a quarterfinal, so they can only do better. If Russia is 6th, then they're 6th.

This is a North American board, I'm not surprised by what you're saying. If you visit a Czech board, all you'll hear is "2005 World Champ : the best hockey tournament ever" or something ... it's not like your Canadian opinion is the World's opinion.

espo*

Devilsfanatic said:
Ah, the Canada bash.....never gets old :) We didn't need Iginla or Sakic in 2004 or in 2003 when we won that gold medal. Heatley will likely play, Luongo, and Brodeur are in.......don't you worry my son, Canada will do juuuuuuuust fine, and then you can try and bash us some more, but we won't be listening, cause we'll be admiring our 3rd consecutive champioship win :)

To my Canadian brethren: Lets try and make this a tourney about who's coming, not who isn't, because the logo on the front is more important than the name on the back. I'll cheer this team even if Randy Robitaille was our best player.
Could'nt have said it better myself brother,amen to that!! You're right,the Maple Leaf on front is more important than any name on the back. Tambellini and company can Send a bunch of ahl'ers if they want,when the pucks drops we'll compete and play like aniamals.........anyone forgets that is looking to get sand kicked in their face.

espo*

wilka91 said:
I'm sorry but your message is way too long for me to read. If Canada wins, Canada remains the best. If Finland wins, they're number 1. Sweden, even with it stars, never won a quarterfinal, so they can only do better. If Russia is 6th, then they're 6th.

This is a North American board, I'm not surprised by what you're saying. If you visit a Czech board, all you'll hear is "2005 World Champ : the best hockey tournament ever" or something ... it's not like your Canadian opinion is the World's opinion.
It'll mean they were the best team at this tournament not the heavyweight champ and you know it,and that's not just my opinion that's your opinion too but you would never admit.This should be short enough for you to read,too bad you did'nt take the time to read the last one,some important information for you in that one.The Czech board? who cares?

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
cyclops said:
It'll mean they were the best team at this tournament not the heavyweight champ and you know it,and that's not just my opinion that's your opinion too but you would never admit.

Not one Canadian admitted that Canada was not number during the 1998-2002 period. Not ONE!

And please stop telling me what I think and what I know.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
cyclops said:
It'll mean they were the best team at this tournament not the heavyweight champ.

What is that "heavyweight champ" thing? Do you mean the Olympics? :dunno:

If yes, I cannot agree more. But once again, there won't be NHLers at the 2006 Olympics, thank you Canada and USA (NHL). THANK YOU.

espo*

wilka91 said:
Not one Canadian admitted that Canada was not number during the 1998-2002 period. Not ONE!

And please stop telling me what I think or what I'm going to if something happens.
I'll tell you this: better phone Kovalchuk and the boys and tell them to start sharpening their knives because with guys like you around we'll have no problem getting a hate on real early for you,and that's when we play our best.Imagine needing some early incentive to get more worked up for the Russians!! As if their hands to the ears shenanigans and blown up verbal bravado isn't enough? When are the championsips anyway? June? It can't come early enough for me

ThinMcWhistle

Mar 26, 2005
Northern hemisphere
wilka91 said:

I think the world championships is more of an up and comer" tournament anyways. I will not miss some of the overpaid players that won't show up this year, however, I am disappointed that Iginla isn't attending.
I would rather see younger guys, or guys that have something to prove skating their butts off than see some fat cats p***yfooting around the ice.

Go Worlds!

God Bless Canada

Jul 11, 2004
Bentley reunion
The World Championship has long been a lesser tournament in Canada. Typically we have the Stanley Cup playoffs going on, and ususally the only players that play are dedicated individuals eliminated from the playoffs, who want to play for their country, and a couple former NHLers playing in Europe. (Jamie Heward, Dean Evason, etc).

With the exception of the last couple years, when Gretzky got involved, the only time Canada has cared about the Worlds was in the late 80s/early 90s, when Canada was trying to win their first world title since 1961. When Canada won that world title in 1994, Canadians redeveloped the apathy, and the 1997 title barely registered as a blip. Even the last two world titles haven't garnered nearly as much interest as any WJC title since 1988.

In Europe, kids dream about about scoring the winning goal in the world championships. In North America, it's about scoring the Stanley Cup winning goal.

Even without Iginla, Canada should still be able to ice a star team. Their 1-2-3 punch in goal (Brodeur-Theodore-Luongo) automatically makes them the favourite. The defence and forwards are strong. Plus, players will be looking to make themselves look good for the 2006 Olympic team.

Will Canada miss Iggy, Lemieux and Sakic? Definitely. But unlike most countries, we have the depth to overcome the loss of three of our top players. Heck, we won last year without those three.

Russia will be strong. Finland will be strong. The Czechs will be strong.

(I could go into the IIHF overemphasizing the WC's for their rankings, but that's another long-winded rant for another time).

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Tell me what's ironic about this:

wilka91 said:

...followed by:

wilka91 said:
hell Russia didn't have Fedorov, Zhamnov, Mogilny, the Bure brothers, Zubov, Malakhov, Danny Markov, Khabibulin and Nabokov and several others ...

Yeah, Canada sure has come up with a lot of excuses lately.

Olympic champs, World Cup champs, World Championship champs, World Jr champs...the list goes on and on and on. Look inward, it's the other countries that are coming up with excuses. Excuses are for losers, not champions.

wilka91*

May 5, 2004
Carl O'Steen said:
Canada is #1.

Stop hating.

Did I ever say otherwise? Some people just take some of my comments out of context and then undirectly make me say things I never said.

Canada is #1, just like the Czech Republic was # 1 from 1998-2002. Period.

But I just don't like the fact that many Canadians are trying to minimize the importance of this year's World Championship, whereas for the first time ever all the players in the World are available. And this tournament is held by the IIHF, not the NHL, it's ruled by IIHF refs, not NHL refs, and everything is played on international standard sized rinks.
So if Iginla is not playing, I don't see how or why nobody would suddenly not care about the Worlds anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad