If You're Wayne Gretzky: Jovanovski vs. Phaneuf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zine

Feb 28, 2002
Rostov-on-Don
Hard to say. Idealistically, I'd take Jovo - but he's not playing well.

For as good as Phaneuf has been, the guy is still only 20 and has yet to even play in an NHL play-offs. The olympics (talent wise) is at a level Phaneuf has never even seen before. No matter how good he is, it's too risky to have a 20 year old with no experience on the blueline. Let Phaneuf play in a world championship or two before throwing him into the fire.

nesbit_21 said:
McCabe as an extra,

God no. McCabe is nothing short of brutal on the big ice.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I'm sorry but...

If I was Gretz I'd laced them up and play centre: show the Coyotes what passing is all about!

I'd get 40 points easily this season too.

Flash Walken

May 10, 2005
Vancouver
Vinnie said:
And leads his team with 32 giveaways. 11 more than #2 Bertuzzi.

Exactly.

Team Canada doesn't need their defense to produce offensively. That's what we have the most talented group of forwards in the olympics for. Canada needs solid defensive defensemen, who if they can chip in offensively, great, but their first job is playing well in their own end, which is why jovo shouldn't make it.

Neither should McCabe, but I'm afraid of quinn's influence, hopefully he's paired up with someone who can bail him out fromtime to time.

Transported Upstater

incawg said:
Given Jovocop's past international experience, I don't think this will even be an issue for Wayne. Jovo will be on the team.

Gretzky is known for valuing international experience highly, so I would tend to agree.

Rob Stauber*

TransportedUpstater said:
Gretzky is known for valuing international experience highly, so I would tend to agree.

Oh ok. So that means we can pencil Paul Kariya in as well ? I mean, Kariya's got more international experience than just about everybody.

Transported Upstater

Rob Stauber said:
Oh ok. So that means we can pencil Paul Kariya in as well ? I mean, Kariya's got more international experience than just about everybody.

Forgive me for posting on your thread, almighty one.

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
Jovanovski was Canada's best defenseman in 2002

He's had a rough year but when he's not the go-to guy, he plays extraordinarily well with consistency

Danny__K

Oct 6, 2005
Yep, i don't think Phaneuf will be there. But Jovo definately won't be. tonights game i think sealed his fate playing so poorly against gretzkys team.

HeavyD

Feb 25, 2004
I don't usually let myself get drawn into retarted threads like this, but sometimes you people are so out to lunch its rediculous. Jovo is a game breaker, he will be on the team. Only in people's wildest dreams would Phaneuf make the team over Jovo.

International play, and nhl regular season play are completely different worlds, shouldn't that be obvious by now.

guzzy

Jul 6, 2005
HeavyD said:
I don't usually let myself get drawn into retarted threads like this, but sometimes you people are so out to lunch its rediculous. Jovo is a game breaker, he will be on the team. Only in people's wildest dreams would Phaneuf make the team over Jovo.

International play, and nhl regular season play are completely different worlds, shouldn't that be obvious by now.

For every game Jovo "breaks" he also costs them a game for taking undisciplined penalties or coughing up the puck. The positive is blanked by the negative. I don't think Phaneuf will be there this year but I don't think Jovo will either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad