If you're soft I don't think you'll be a Jet for long

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
If you're responsible for building a Stanley Cup winning team and you look at the past several years it would be rare if any of those teams had one soft, non-compete, non-driven, tenacious player. Real attitude/scary like players. Also on a consistent basis, we are not that this year.

When I saw the chatter on who should we give up for a Travis Hamonic type player I took the opinion that a sideways deal isn't helpful but talent combined with toughness is a very rare commodity. I love Meyers and I don't see him as a total soft player, just an effective one BUT if he did the transformation like Buff did two years ago and became a very physical player, he'd be much more effective player and a potential Norris Trophy material. It seems to me that if you want to win a cup, a Travis Hamonic type of player is more important than a softer one. If you can't have them all you need to make good decisions on who you want. Never mind he's from Manitoba. It maybe a negotiation thing but a tremendous risk at losing out on this type of player.

We need to define what kind of team we are going to be and focus on that type of player.

I also like watching the type of team that physically dominates the competition even if we don't win the game. I think our players also like the overly physical players that stand up and are counted on to back them up when need be. I think that's why they signed Anthony Peluso for two years.

For lack of a better terminology, let's be the bullies of the NHL. No one will like playing against us. Much like last year.

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
You need both to win a cup IMO. Toughness and skill. Defensive ability is also a skill and just because your tough doesn't mean you are skilled defensively. Duncan Keith won't pound you into the ground every game but he will sure as hell stop you from scoring more often then he won't. Give me a complete two way player any day over a hitting machine. They win you championships.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
To win all you have to do is score more goals than the other team. That's it.

Toughness, grit, skating, size, whatever... these are just the factors that add up to make a player as good or bad as they are. How good they are matters more than any one factor.

CUCeD6SUAAAL5bW.jpg

I don't want to be tough.
I don't want to be skilled.
I don't want anything more than to win.
The rest is just a means to the ends.

Koonta

The Boss Wears White
Jan 1, 2012
Thunder Road
Is Ehlers considered a tough player? I mean he takes a pretty good hit last game but he comes back and plays a pretty strong game the rest of the way. Toughness can also mean taking big hits and bouncing back and not shy away from playing your game.

I'm of the opinion to play professional Hockey you are not soft in anyway to begin with.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
If you're responsible for building a Stanley Cup winning team and you look at the past several years it would be rare if any of those teams had one soft, non-compete, non-driven, tenacious player. Real attitude/scary like players. Also on a consistent basis, we are not that this year.

When I saw the chatter on who should we give up for a Travis Hamonic type player I took the opinion that a sideways deal isn't helpful but talent combined with toughness is a very rare commodity. I love Meyers and I don't see him as a total soft player, just an effective one BUT if he did the transformation like Buff did two years ago and became a very physical player, he'd be much more effective player and a potential Norris Trophy material. It seems to me that if you want to win a cup, a Travis Hamonic type of player is more important than a softer one. If you can't have them all you need to make good decisions on who you want. Never mind he's from Manitoba. It maybe a negotiation thing but a tremendous risk at losing out on this type of player.

We need to define what kind of team we are going to be and focus on that type of player.

I also like watching the type of team that physically dominates the competition even if we don't win the game. I think our players also like the overly physical players that stand up and are counted on to back them up when need be. I think that's why they signed Anthony Peluso for two years.

For lack of a better terminology, let's be the bullies of the NHL. No one will like playing against us. Much like last year.

We need to get the best players we can. We will be the team that comes from whatever mix that turns out to be.

I like watching the type of team that wins games regardless of the style of their play.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
yep, no soft players on the Winnipeg Jets..

but taking stupid penalties and making mindless turnovers is perfectly ok...

Grind

Stomacheache AllStar
Jan 25, 2012
Manitoba

really? You like being a team that "dominates even if we don't win?"

in otherwords...you like watching a team that's really good (ie: only ever loses due to luck/off games)

shocking....who doesn't?

First and foremost our team should be focused on being effective.

Once we are an effective hockey team that is capable of winning games, then lets start tinkering with "how it looks".

One of these things is far more important then the other.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
Just because Meyers isn't physical doesn't mean he is soft.
He doesn't go for the big hits to punish but he is hard to move off the puck, protects the puck well, can't be pushed around due to his size, and never backs down from physical play.
He may not initiate physical play much but he doesn't avoid it when someone comes looking for it and due his size not many try to initiate it.

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Would you trade Myers for Bogosian?

Bogo only ever manages to play 40-60 games a season, no hockey sense, weak minded, tough as steel, super physical....but

Meyer's all day long!

Jetsetter

Mar 2, 2015
Winnerpeg
Would you trade Myers for Bogosian?

No I wouldn't. I consider it a lateral move, Don't change just for a change. Change because you are facilitating your plan.

I didn't say Meyers is soft because he isn't. I said he could be more effective if he added more physical play to his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad