If you were the GM

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'd probably do some equipment innovations. The current big, loose fitting hockey sweaters have a kind of 1970s feel to them. I would switch to the tighter fitting, stretchy NFL type jersey to make the guys look more athletic on TV.

Use helmets with some aerodynamic swoosh to them, like a bicycle helmet but not that extreme.

Helmets could be more concussion proof, having an air bladder in them with a high G-force release valve. A small CO2 cartridge (like what is used in bb guns) in the helmet would refill the air bladder after an impact.

Stick shafts could be more aerodynamic, more rounded with golf ball dimples.

I mentioned a compressed super bouncy ball rubber thing a few weeks ago as a joke, but a 2 millimeter coating of it on stick blades might actually benefit shooters, it would have to be tested.

Edit: stick blades can have some holes in them like high performance brake rotors, to let some air pass through, less resistance.

What do you think SFY does? :whaaa?:

Kusic

Back-to-back Champs!
Jul 4, 2010
Karlovy Vary
twitter.com
Ok, just leave the idea about O'Reilly. It was a step on a wrong side. I'd be more realistic :D

Trade defenseman Brian Lee for pick/s.
Call-up defenseman Radko Gudas as 5-6th D-men (Bergeron 7th).
When Ryan Malone will be healthy, looking to trade him for right price.
Give Richard Panik more Time on Ice, around 13-14 minutes per game.
Hire a Power-Play coach.
Probably looking for a new goaltending coach.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
What do you think SFY does? :whaaa?:

It's called thinking outside of the box, something America used to be good at. Yzerman is the best GM we have ever had, by a marathon length. Love the guy. I'm just throwing some hockey related ideas out there.

Here's another thought. Some rinks have glass and walls that have some give to them, while some are like hitting a brick wall. I think it will cut down on injuries to have every rink standardized to the amount of give they have. A spring based support system that was required for every NHL rink could standardize X amount of pressure will cause X amount of give. Players would know what to expect when hitting the wall, reducing injuries. Thinking of ways to reduce injuries should be a priority. GMs could at least suggest these ideas to Bettman anyway.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
1. Trade MAB for Jordan Eberle.
2. Call up Gudas' beard. Make Purcell wear it to feel like a man so he can start playing hockey.
3. Wait for Gudas to grow another beard. Call up Gudas.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
1. Trade MAB for Jordan Eberle.
2. Call up Gudas' beard. Make Purcell wear it to feel like a man so he can start playing hockey.
3. Wait for Gudas to grow another beard. Call up Gudas.

Oilers need to add, but other than that not bad.

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
I'd wait before making any significant moves.

A strange idea I have would be to potentially make a move for Bergenheim with the stipulation that Florida eat some of that cap hit. Bring him back at 1.5-1.8. We need a mean finn on the third line again.

Glide5

Apr 16, 2012
Tampa Bay
Honestly, whats so maddening about this team is the fact that they SHOULDNT be playing this bad. They just have no heart to play. Its like its the end of the season, and they are out of the playoffs, not fighting for the division lead.
As GM I would:

-Trade MAB for anything we can get. Hes the easiest person we have to get some asset for next season, and we just have Mik sitting in syracuse anyways, so might as well evaluate the kid.
-Take offers on Lee, Malone, and maybe some of our forwards. You never know what can fetch that piece that can help the team (Aulie trade last year for example). However, we shouldnt be desperate either. taking nothing for Lee doesnt make us better, and a healthy Malone is still a good player.
-Call up a Crunch defensman. I dont know who would be best, but it cant hurt to evaluate one of them right now.
-Fire the Goalie coach. He just isnt worth anything it seems...
-Find a way to stop the stupid passes and shoot the damn puck.
-Invest in a Yzerman android to play every position that isnt filled by Stamkos. If anything can fix this team, it would be more Yzerman's.
-Hope the team figures out how to play with heart again. Really isnt much you can do as GM to fix that issue logically...

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I know there might be interest in Bergeron which is good, we need to also see if anyone wants Thompson, Hall and Crombeen. They are all 4th liners so not sure what we might get. Thompson is the only one I can see getting a decent return or resigned if we keep him. I just think Johnson can take his spot and add more offense. We need to keep Lee cause if something happens to Salo he's our only other RH. I know everyone wants all the kids up but Boucher still needs to trust them. Panik has looked great but still gets no ice time. If this next week goes south it might be best to move on to next year.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I know there might be interest in Bergeron which is good, we need to also see if anyone wants Thompson, Hall and Crombeen. They are all 4th liners so not sure what we might get. Thompson is the only one I can see getting a decent return or resigned if we keep him. I just think Johnson can take his spot and add more offense. We need to keep Lee cause if something happens to Salo he's our only other RH. I know everyone wants all the kids up but Boucher still needs to trust them. Panik has looked great but still gets no ice time. If this next week goes south it might be best to move on to next year.

I disagree. It's not like this team is hopeless.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I disagree. It's not like this team is hopeless.

I'm not saying the team is hopeless but if we lose 3 of the next 4 are best hope is to sneak in as an 8 seed. I'd rather them get something for UFA's that might not be back and give a couple of kids a look. Drafting top 10 sucks but chances of getting an impact player are better than in the teens.

CC321

Jun 23, 2012
The Southeast is weak again this season, even an inconsistent team could win it for the #3 seed. Boston is a serious cup contender, they beat us, stuff happens, no need to give up. With that said, I do think we will need a D upgrade from either an internal or external source, and of course better goaltending.

If the org. doesn't think Gudas is ready, Pittsburgh likely would like to have Malone back and they have a good RH 26 y.o. Dman they can spare named Matt Niskanen. It's an option anyway.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/matt_niskanen/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matt_Niskanen

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm not saying the team is hopeless but if we lose 3 of the next 4 are best hope is to sneak in as an 8 seed. I'd rather them get something for UFA's that might not be back and give a couple of kids a look. Drafting top 10 sucks but chances of getting an impact player are better than in the teens.

No, this is AWFUL. In our division, for one, getting the 3 seed is pretty close to getting the 8 seed.

TBLHoser

Jul 2, 2009
Sunshine State
We just need to stay the course right now, maybe make a few trades at the deadline and then go back and retool the defense and goaltending in the off-season....along with replacing our defense and goaltending coaches. Even if we squeeze in at the 8th seed, we're not going far with what we have.

We need a Dominic Moore-Sean Bergenheim player, not a "Beener".

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
We just need to stay the course right now, maybe make a few trades at the deadline and then go back and retool the defense and goaltending in the off-season....along with replacing our defense and goaltending coaches. Even if we squeeze in at the 8th seed, we're not going far with what we have.

We need a Dominic Moore-Sean Bergenheim player, not a "Beener".

Hilarious, cause both dudes were at the game last night.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
No, this is AWFUL. In our division, for one, getting the 3 seed is pretty close to getting the 8 seed.

What's it matter? The 3 or the 8 we will not get out of the first round either way. Im just saying we should move a few pieces and try to get a pick around 8 where we can get a Nurse/Pulock or Zadarov.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009
Hilarious, cause both dudes were at the game last night.
What's the deal with Bergenheim anyway? TSN lists him with an "undisclosed" injury and "undisclosed" status: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/injuries

Last thing I know is this:
It was reported that Bergenheim injured his groin in Finland. Because the injury happened in October — and he returned to South Florida but didn’t skate with his teammates — it is believed to be much more serious than that.

The Panthers aren’t commenting on Bergenheim’s status because he isn’t being treated by the team’s medical staff.

I don’t know where he is,” Tallon said.

Because Bergenheim is suspended from the team without pay as he was injured playing for a team other than the Panthers, he can search out his own medical treatment.
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/26/3199605/florida-panthers-stephen-weiss.html

Shouldn't he be healthy by now?

LTIR Trickery

Plz stop pucks
Jun 27, 2007
Scrip Club
What's the deal with Bergenheim anyway? TSN lists him with an "undisclosed" injury and "undisclosed" status: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/injuries

Last thing I know is this:
http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/26/3199605/florida-panthers-stephen-weiss.html

Shouldn't he be healthy by now?

Well I read that he filed a medical grievance against the team, something about docs saying hes cleared and his personal doctor saying he should have never been cleared. I have no idea what hes doing with himself now, really, just saw Dom and Bergy walking around the arena.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad