Speculation: If you were Ken Holland for a day (kinda).

Pizza!Pizza!

Sep 25, 2018
Sorry in advance if this should have gone in the 'trades' board, but I only wanted to see Oilers fans opinions.

Hypothetically, let's say the Oilers let you be GM for a day and you were allowed to make one depth trade. 1.

Restrictions:
*Player must make less than $4 million/yr
*Cannot retain more than $400,000
*No draft picks earlier than 5th round can be involved
*No more than two total draft picks can be packaged with your player

So Oilers fans, who from your team would you ship out and who would you try to acquire? Please include why you would want 'player x' gone and what 'player y' would bring to the table and what kind of results to expect (best case/worst case scenarios).

Please be as detailed as possible in your responses. Who knows, maybe we can reach a consensus and send a petition to KH.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Easy one. Give up what its possible to aquire Erik Haula.
Perfect 3c Good offensive and defensive competent. Good skater.

Give up someone not named Nygård, Jurco or Haas in bottom 6. Thre rest is replace-able.

For ex. Archibald + Granlund 25% retained+ 5th rounder for Erik Haula.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Easy one. Give up what its possible to aquire Erik Haula.
Perfect 3c Good offensive and defensive competent. Good skater.

Give up someone not named Nygård, Jurco or Haas in bottom 6. Thre rest is replace-able.

For ex. Archibald + Granlund 25% retained+ 5th rounder for Erik Haula.

I agree, someone like him would be perfect! He has 82 points in his last 125 GP.
Your offer is not enough though, imo. Even as a rental.

That's an understatement, lol. Haula has been really good for Carolina. He's a middle six winger with a reasonable cap hit. Granlund, Archibald, and a 5th rounder has zero value. Adding up multiple useless pieces does not get you a useful one.

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
That's an understatement, lol. Haula has been really good for Carolina. He's a middle six winger with a reasonable cap hit. Granlund, Archibald, and a 5th rounder has zero value. Adding up multiple useless pieces does not get you a useful one.

Before this season, we could sign him for 2,5. Damn it.

I dont think we can get an even average 3C.

780il

edm
May 29, 2018
Edmonton AB
Get Pageau or Tierney for something like Pulju + Gagner + Jones
A good 3c to anchor that line and add to the pk.

Or

Pulju + 2nd + Jones for Athanasiou
Can play lw in the top 6, adds skill, speed, and goal scoring capability
(Ik OP said no picks higher than a 5th but this is something Id work hard on trying to swing)

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Jesse Puljujarvi for Pavel Zacha.

He's the perfect 3C moving forward who can move into a scoring role whenever needed. He PKs and is early in his NHL career.

Unfortunately this trade should've been made two years ago. Zacha's stock has risen substantially this season.

Last edited:

MinimaMoralia

May 1, 2015
Benning or Lagesson for Kahun.

I think both Legs and Benny will be victims of the numbers game before long, Kahun can be a solid add for the middle six, hopefully Drai can get him to hang around for a few years.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
Chiasson to MTL for Jordan Weal. Maybe add a 5th/6th because of the difference in salary.

Montreal gets a veteran winger from Montreal. Edmonton gets a right-handed bottom six center with some skill who is currently a healthy scratch.

Both signed for this year and next. Weal being $750k less expensive.

Reactions: Pizza!Pizza!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Not so much a trade idea, but what kind of cap relief would we receive from shooting Manning into the sun?
He's in the final year of his deal, so at some point, we should be able to move him, even if it is for junk. No sense piling even more onto the current cap salaries of people that don't play for us anymore.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I'd find a way to get JG Pageau here...right shot, under 4 mil, center... and Ottawa probably wants picks/prospects
Pageau was a guy I would have pressed for at the beginning of the year. But he is off to a tremendous start this year and the cost right now may be very high.

I still think Roslovic makes sense. He can play any of the three forward slots and is still cheap. When Larsson comes back you may be able to get him for something involving Benning because Winnipeg is pretty desperate for help on the RHS. Or perhaps in a deal involving JP.

I also like @belair' s suggestion of Zacha for JP, though the Oilers may have to add.

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Pageau was a guy I would have pressed for at the beginning of the year. But he is off to a tremendous start this year and the cost right now may be very high.

I still think Roslovic makes sense. He can play any of the three forward slots and is still cheap. When Larsson comes back you may be able to get him for something involving Benning because Winnipeg is pretty desperate for help on the RHS. Or perhaps in a deal involving JP.

I also like @belair' s suggestion of Zacha for JP, though the Oilers may have to add.
very true but he's a pending UFA...if he keeps this up, we are looking at 5+ mil for JG Pageau

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
very true but he's a pending UFA...if he keeps this up, we are looking at 5+ mil for JG Pageau

I think he is a guy that the Sens will try to resign and there have been noises that suggest he is open to staying. For the Sens giving him $5M is not a big risk because they will have to spend fairly aggressively to get to the cap in 2021-2022. For the Oilers though $5M for Pageau could be a bit of a cap killer if he ends up being a 30 point #3C

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad