If you were hired to be the Jets GM (mod warning post #26)

fmrdh

Mar 5, 2013
Seeing as we have an "evaluate Chevy" thread, what would be the first things you would do if you were hired to be the Jets GM?

1. Trade Byfuglien

I really like Buff but I don't see us being any higher in the standings than we were last year, especially with how strong our division is. IMO we need future pieces if we wish to contend in the central in the next few years.

Perhaps Detroit would be interested in him and would offer their 2015 1st. If Zetterberg or Datsyuk get hurt which isn't unlikely, that pick could become a lottery pick. They also have a few other pieces (Tatar, Smith, Jurco) that they might be willing to move for #33.

Goal-tending is a big problem right now but I don't think we can do much with Pavelec at this point. We have good goalie prospects in the system, I think we just have to play the waiting game and hope that Pavelec turns into a semi decent goalie.

We also need a 3rd line winger, I would talk to Stempniak or possibly Peter Mueller and see if they would be interested in a 1yr deal. I like Lowry and Kosmo but I think they are a year away.

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I don't think anyone will be in a rush to trade their 2015 1st.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I would have bought out Pavelec before the deadline. I also would have kept Montoya, and did a tandem, until either Hellebucyk or Hutch emerged as our #1 starter.

I would trade Kane. His market value is very high, and many teams are interested in him, and prepared to compensate the Jets with a good return. Kane does not want to be here, so why bother keeping someone who could overall have a determental impact on team morale?

GoJetsGo55

Apr 14, 2009
Winnipeg, MB
If none of our prospects make the jump to fill out 2 glaring holes (3rd line LW, 2nd line LD), then the only real option we have would be to take a stab at Dustin Penner and MDZ to see if they would take short term contracts. If they don't, re-evaluate.

Not sure exactly who's call it is, but I would also make sure that Hutch is getting a good look.

At the deadline!!!!!
If we are just out of the playoffs but still within contention, stand pat. Don't unload players and look who's available for cheap.

If we are in the playoffs, see who's available but most certainly don't spend the farm to acquire what we need. Those 2015 1st, 2nd, and 3rd round picks are gold.

If we are out of the playoffs, look at trading Buff and Ladd. This is only done under the assumption that any talks of an extension (specifically with Ladd) have not gone well.

Whether fans like it or not, there is no quick fix here. We have been a better team each year. I see that trend continuing.

JCLiponfanboy*

Hire myself as GM/Coach so I can Ice JC Lipon on the first line.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd keep the team the way it is. I'd just trade Byfuglien, Kane, Enstrom, Clitsome and buyout Pavelec. That, or waive him.

I'd make sure I get good value for them. I'd just drop for McDavid next year, then trade those four for pieces to make the team better and rebuild. And playoffs in the 2015-16 season is a must, but be happy with a Wild Card spot. Don't have to make it past the first round, just use it for experience. Then hope we at least go to the second round the following three seasons, but wouldn't be mad if they lose in the first round. Then they gotta contend for the cup.

As I see the team now, they're headed in the right direction.

BigZ65

Feb 2, 2010
Winnipeg
I'd hear the actual offers on Kane and Byfuglien, and think "wow, those people on message boards were way off."

PaperRockChamp

Oct 19, 2009
Wpg
I'd keep the team the way it is. I'd just trade Byfuglien, Kane, Enstrom, Clitsome and buyout Pavelec. That, or waive him.

I'd make sure I get good value for them. I'd just drop for McDavid next year, then trade those four for pieces to make the team better and rebuild. And playoffs in the 2015-16 season is a must, but be happy with a Wild Card spot. Don't have to make it past the first round, just use it for experience. Then hope we at least go to the second round the following three seasons, but wouldn't be mad if they lose in the first round. Then they gotta contend for the cup.

As I see the team now, they're headed in the right direction.

#Fire5cheifele5

I would ask Kane to stay off Twitter for one year.

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
I would sign my brother, son (he's 2), wife, and friends to 7 year multi million dollar deals.... Gotta love the nhl and their guaranteed contracts... Sorry but the jets would Suck for years but on the bright side we would pick first overall for ever so we would be like the Oilers hahaha

Last edited:

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
I'd hear the actual offers on Kane and Byfuglien, and think "wow, those people on message boards were way off."

"Yes, hello BigZ, this is Dave Nonis. Yes, I heard you were listening to offers for Kane and Byfuglien? Ah, good. Well, I'm willing to offer you James Reimer, Cody Franson and Tyler Bozak.

Now, before you say anything, I know that it sounds like an overpayment, what with Franson being a premier offensive D-man in the league, Bozak a solid #1C and Reimer one of the better starting goaltenders in the league, but we're willing to do this anyway! I doubt you can ask for more, considering both your players really have lower value than you might think.

Now, just to warn you, I have offered the same package for Steven Stamkos, and I think Yzerman is going to accept, so you will have to answer me quickly!"

SCP Guy

Jun 21, 2011
The Peg
"Yes, hello BigZ, this is Dave Nonis. Yes, I heard you were listening to offers for Kane and Byfuglien? Ah, good. Well, I'm willing to offer you James Reimer, Cody Franson and Tyler Bozak.

Now, before you say anything, I know that it sounds like an overpayment, what with Franson being a premier offensive D-man in the league, Bozak a solid #1C and Reimer one of the better starting goaltenders in the league, but we're willing to do this anyway! I doubt you can ask for more, considering both your players really have lower value than you might think.

Now, just to warn you, I have offered the same package for Steven Stamkos, and I think Yzerman is going to accept, so you will have to answer me quickly!"

You forgot at add.....I don't really want them but since I like you so much Chevy .......

:D

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
#Fire5cheifele5

I would ask Kane to stay off Twitter for one year.

Never rush a team. Look at LA. They weren't rushed, they got 2 cups. Missed the playoffs for something like 8 years. Chicago missed for 8 years and won 2 cups as well. The Oilers are being rushed and pressured, they should've made the playoffs two years ago. As goes for Tampa Bay and NYI.

But yeah, I said draft McDavid and then make playoffs. I wouldn't rush or put pressure on him. I'd tell Maurice to start him on the second or third line for experience, then works his way up. Depends on how he does in pre-season.

Jetsfan4life

Dec 15, 2013
Usa
I would not trade any of my top guys Kane,Buff,or Bogo.I would want to give them a full season under a good coach like Paul Maurice and see if they improve.Lets face the facts I am pretty sure that if we traded any of these guys off we are not going to get anyone better than what we have.Then we would have to play against guys like Kane and watch him score 30 plus goals this year.Or play against a big body like Buff pushing his wait around on our team.Then there is Bogo a defenseman that also had a bad season while changing coaches before the year was up.I think our guys are fine and when I say that I mean Ladd,Little,Wheeler on 1st line Buff,Scheifele,Kane on the second then I would put Frolik,Perreault and ? On the third then the fourth would consist of Peluso or Tangradi,Slater,then Thorbs.Two of these guys are capable of 30 + at least 3 are 20 + and 3 are at least capable of around 15 +.There is a big reason these guys have not been traded yet because chevy knows that the returns were not better than what we have so why do it.So what if Kane does night want to play here he is making plenty of money here for his age.You let him start putting some pucks in the net and he will forget the thought he ever had of leaving.He probably just wants to be on a winning team that being said once we start playing the way we should with the talent we have Kane will love to be here.Just a few vids here to show you what we have. http://youtu.be/xXNKgVePd7A.
http://youtu.be/JHY5Eqi98dg. http://youtu.be/_ZFC-yEv-bI

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice

LOL you've been spending too much time on the main trade board reading crap posted by other fanbases.

broinwhyteridge

Jun 27, 2011
Fire Maurice
If hired as GM I would begin a six year evaluation period of the whole organization. Before making any changes, I would want to be really really really really sure of what I am working with. It's hard to fly when you're working with turkeys and all that.

Edited to add; I would do next to nothing for those six years other than give occasional interviews to members of the press who don't ask tough questions. I would also sit in the team box and make the occasional wry face of disgust whenever is seems appropriate.

Last edited:

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
I would have bought out Pavelec before the deadline. I also would have kept Montoya, and did a tandem, until either Hellebucyk or Hutch emerged as our #1 starter.

I would trade Kane. His market value is very high, and many teams are interested in him, and prepared to compensate the Jets with a good return. Kane does not want to be here, so why bother keeping someone who could overall have a determental impact on team morale?

Montoya is a backup goalie that has had some really awful years, and also has not played more than like what...31 games a year. I think that the end result of Monty and untested Hutch would be a train wreck.
What I am not saying is Pavs is the answer, but I do not see (Monty) as a solution as a GM.
Kane trade, sure...but we have to get someone to pay the price for that. Let's face it, if I am the GM I am going to need something usable in return. Wingers who pot 30 do not grow on trees, and removing Kane is not addition by subtraction. As a GM I can ask for a top 6 guy in return and I would want 15 1st and a top prospect. The other GMs are going to really need to see some value in Kane and have a spot for him that they think he is going to excel and take his game to the next level.

Being a GM is being the head of a corporation. You want to get the best guys possible, for the best return possible. A GM forced into trade by a UFA player with a NMC is easier to deal with, but Kane is an RFA for 4 more years with no NMC, which means I hold all the power in the deal.
Other GM's are going to have to meet my demands and pay royally to acquire my asset (Kane) as he is stuck with us for 4 more years. If he wants a trade, then he is going to have to play his ass off for 200ft and pot 35+ goals to increase his stock. This will loosen the purse strings of other GM's as they know he still has more ceiling. Remember Kane wants to maximize his earnings as much as I do, and at the end of the day a successful team that makes a deep playoff run will create that opportunity for both the organization and the players involved.

I have dealt with specialized rare item sales over the years. If I have a rare item, I can ask whatever I want for it, however I still need someone who has the money (or sometimes various other interesting pieces) that sees enough value in the purchase or trade for them to commit. There will be thousands of lookers for every 1 person that has the capitol to make the transaction. Sure those other people that are interested would like to have it, but they are not in a position financially to make it happen and I am not going to move the item for under market value just for the sake of a sale.

So for better or worse, with all the dynamics that Chevy has to deal with, I fully appreciated that there are many things out of his control when it comes to making "deals". At the end of the day he still has a responsibility to ice the best team possible.

sully1410

#EggosForEleven
Dec 28, 2011
Calgary, Alta.
if i was hired to be the Jets GM...

They would probably be no closer to the playoffs then they are right now. If my fantasy hockey GMing is ANY indication...I would totally suck at it.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
- Start talks with Ladd and Buff and figure out what there intentions might be. If either of them are thinking of testing the open market in 2 years, start looking to trade them.

- Keep the phone lines open on Kane, but hold firm to get the best return. But I would actually sit down with Kane to see what his issues are and if anything can be done to fix any problems he has so I don't have to trade him.

- fire the goalie coach. 3 seasons working with Pavs and all you have done is get him to play worse each year.

- get Frolik signed.

- Tell the world the Jets DO NOT have a number one goalie, invite every goalie we have in the organization to training camp, and tell them whomever performs the best, will start the season.

tacogeoff

Jul 18, 2011
Killarney, MB
STEP 1. Take care of Pavs

STEP 2. Work it out with Kane and get him some PR coaching

STEP 3. Hire Garrett for advanced stats analysis

STEP 4. create a moneyball team over the next 3 seasons

STEP 5. Sink or Swim

STEP 6. Retire and go fishing.

jamiebez

Apr 5, 2005
Ottawa
- Start talks with Ladd and Buff and figure out what there intentions might be. If either of them are thinking of testing the open market in 2 years, start looking to trade them.

- Keep the phone lines open on Kane, but hold firm to get the best return. But I would actually sit down with Kane to see what his issues are and if anything can be done to fix any problems he has so I don't have to trade him.

- fire the goalie coach. 3 seasons working with Pavs and all you have done is get him to play worse each year.

- get Frolik signed.

- Tell the world the Jets DO NOT have a number one goalie, invite every goalie we have in the organization to training camp, and tell them whomever performs the best, will start the season.

This is all pretty close to what I'd do, with two exceptions.

1. With the goalies, I stand pat all season. If/when Hutch takes over as #1, I tell Chipman Chevy screwed up and we have to buy Pavelec out in the summer. It's the new GM's perogative to throw the old one under the bus :D If Pavelec improves enough to be at all marketable, I start shopping him with as much retained salary as need be, and go get Reimer, or whoever else has become expendable around the league.

2. With Kane, if he tells me he's anything less than enthusiastic about being a Jet, I trade him before training camp for the best deal I can find. Once the deal's done, I hold a press conference saying he didn't want to be here and we're moving on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad