If you were GOD which team would u eliminate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
nomorekids said:
Try telling that to NHL players.

it's still a helluva lot better then it was a year ago, and it's continuing to rise. Oh to go back to the days where the Canadian dollar was higher than the American dollar :shakehead

mzon

Feb 13, 2003
Raleigh, NC
Visit site
MooseHunter said:
No American teams are good, just don't get why people keep saying that the NHL wouldn't work in Winnipeg. :banghead:

Too bad no one with enough money to buy a team agrees with you. If "insert your favorite Canadian city that used to have a team here" was such a great market, why did their team leave in the first place? Could it be that the owner (you know, the person or group that oooownnnnns the team) decided that the franchise would work better somewhere else?

kmad

riot survivor
Jun 16, 2003
Vancouver
because the NHL's economic climate combined with the faltering Canadian dollar of the time was too much strain on the owners' pockets.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
MR. X said:
Too bad no one with enough money to buy a team agrees with you. If "insert your favorite Canadian city that used to have a team here" was such a great market, why did their team leave in the first place? Could it be that the owner (you know, the person or group that oooownnnnns the team) decided that the franchise would work better somewhere else?

How many times do I have to say this? The owner was a jackass! He said to the citizens of Winnipeg, "Raise x amount of money and your Jets will stay." Citizens did, guess what? They still moved. The Jets owner screwed himself, so did the management by signing Mr. Loser Tkachuk to a multi million dollar contract :banghead: It's not exactly working that much better in Phoenix now is it? Two reasons why they left: Owner was a jackass, promising things he couldn't keep, and 2. The city was too anal about the prospect of a new arena, Eatons was still around 10 years ago, so there was no decent location to build a new arena.

The NHL will work again in Winnipeg, with the ever improving Canadian dollar and the promise of a CBA where it will work for the Winnipegs, the Calgarys, the Edmontons, the Buffalos, etc. It will happen and especially because this city has lived too long without NHL hockey.

Last edited:

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Sotnos said:
Huh? So money doesn't matter, what the streets looks like in some news clip matters? OK

Do I need to find pictures for you of the 10,000+ people sitting outside the St. Pete Times Forum watching the game on the side of a fricken' parking garage in 90F temperatures because they couldn't get tickets, or is your memory not quite that short? You do know that Tampa set attendance records for the Finals, right? But forget all that money coming in, the streets weren't full of Lightning jerseys when they shot this footage for a news show! Contract them!

What is this "deserves" business all about anyway, I've never gotten a good answer on that one.

i said revenues don't matter cuz after the cba all those types of things will change. U have to admit that there was way more excitment in calgary then there was in tampa. Scott Talyor when he was on the score said that tickets for the confrence finals were selling for 26 bucks ya that should make it hard to sell out games. and there was a poll of like somewhere from 100-500 ppl don't know exactly 88 percent of the ppl didn't know what icing was

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
nomorekids said:
Maybe he thinks there's too many teams because the Oilers can't mediocre their way into the playoffs, anymore? :dunno: :lol

i think u are a fan of new jersey so having one of the (boringest i think that is a word) arenas probally does anger u. Wait what am i saying all the american cities are hockey crazy we should contract the canadian cities that actually care about hockey my fault. Let's contract cities like montreal ottawa calgary edmonton vancouver and tonronto in place of tampa flordia anaheim phoneix washington. ( I am sure a few of these cities deserve hockey teams i just used them as examples)

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
oilerlova said:
i think u are a fan of new jersey so having one of the (boringest i think that is a word) arenas probally does anger u. Wait what am i saying all the american cities are hockey crazy we should contract the canadian cities that actually care about hockey my fault. Let's contract cities like montreal ottawa calgary edmonton vancouver and tonronto in place of tampa flordia anaheim phoneix washington. ( I am sure a few of these cities deserve hockey teams i just used them as examples)

wrong again, but thanks for playing.

and some of your examples are flawed...regarding teams that "care about hockey, " because...as I've mentioned a few times in this thread, Vancouver didn't always "care" so much. Just look at their attendance a few years ago, when they were at the bottom of the league. Calgary had it rough, as well.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
nomorekids said:
wrong again, but thanks for playing.

and some of your examples are flawed...regarding teams that "care about hockey, " because...as I've mentioned a few times in this thread, Vancouver didn't always "care" so much. Just look at their attendance a few years ago, when they were at the bottom of the league. Calgary had it rough, as well.

k that is true i will give u that vancouver just sort of jumped on the bandwagon but i am pretty sure calgary and edmonton haven't. Edmonton hasn't put a great team since like 1990 and still get fans same for calgary

Dadof5boys

May 25, 2003
Murfreesbo Tennessee
Visit site
http://www.hockeyresearch.com/mfoster/business/nhl_attn.html

I don't think any team should be contracted or moved; winning brings fans into the building. Look at the attendance figures for the Jets. It is only slightly better than it was in Carolina for the Canes first few season when the team was 100 miles away in Greensboro. Note Edmonton's attendance from 92-96, Vancouver's from 83-89, New York Isles from 1989- present, Calgary's first few years in the league, Hockey town Detroit from 77-83, Ottawa 92-96.
My point is that there will be some tough times out there for teams attendance wise. Winning usually is the cure for those problems it has little to do with the fact that they are in the south or a nontraditional hockey market. I do feel sorry for the fans that lost teams in Quebec, Winnipeg, and Hartford, but to me the current NHL should not contract nor relocate IMHO.

Kravitch

tulsytrid1 said:
http://www.hockeyresearch.com/mfoster/business/nhl_attn.html

I don't think any team should be contracted or moved; winning brings fans into the building. Look at the attendance figures for the Jets. It is only slightly better than it was in Carolina for the Canes first few season when the team was 100 miles away in Greensboro. Note Edmonton's attendance from 92-96, Vancouver's from 83-89, New York Isles from 1989- present, Calgary's first few years in the league, Hockey town Detroit from 77-83, Ottawa 92-96.
My point is that there will be some tough times out there for teams attendance wise. Winning usually is the cure for those problems it has little to do with the fact that they are in the south or a nontraditional hockey market. I do feel sorry for the fans that lost teams in Quebec, Winnipeg, and Hartford, but to me the current NHL should not contract nor relocate IMHO.

Don't forget Vancouver's attendance from 1996-2000. Ugh, lousy tim to be a Canucks fan.

Kravitch

MooseHunter said:
it's still a helluva lot better then it was a year ago, and it's continuing to rise. Oh to go back to the days where the Canadian dollar was higher than the American dollar :shakehead

We need another P.E.T for that.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
oilerlova said:
k that is true i will give u that vancouver just sort of jumped on the bandwagon but i am pretty sure calgary and edmonton haven't. Edmonton hasn't put a great team since like 1990 and still get fans same for calgary

oh boy... are you a chick? Because if you are, you give a bad name for the women of this world who do know about hockey. Fans in Vancouver did not jump on the bandwagon :banghead: Vancouver certainly got a lot of new fans, but there are those fans that lived through those disgusting years where Keenan destroyed that team. I remember before Calgary made the playoffs that there were more Canucks fans in the Saddledome during a Flames Canucks game then there were Flames fans. Please stop talking out of your ass, it's not pretty.

nomorekids

The original, baby
Feb 28, 2003
Nashville, TN
www.twitter.com
MooseHunter said:
oh boy... are you a chick? Because if you are, you give a bad name for the women of this world who do know about hockey. Fans in Vancouver did not jump on the bandwagon :banghead: Vancouver certainly got a lot of new fans, but there are those fans that lived through those disgusting years where Keenan destroyed that team. I remember before Calgary made the playoffs that there were more Canucks fans in the Saddledome during a Flames Canucks game then there were Flames fans. Please stop talking out of your ass, it's not pretty.

oh, come on. even the most die-hard canucks fans admit that there was a HUGE bandwagon jump a couple of years ago. if you don't believe me, just go read the canucks.com messageboard. besides, if what you say is true...and there was no bandwagon...where were all those great fans in the lean years?

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
Excuse me, but read the canucks.com message board. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Any decent Canucks fan knows not to read that garbage.

I did say there were new fans to the game, and how about the fans that were there during the rough years? Hiding in shame. Wouldn't you do the same?

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
oilerlova said:
i said revenues don't matter cuz after the cba all those types of things will change.
Well then, all the better for ALL small market teams, right?

U have to admit that there was way more excitment in calgary then there was in tampa.
Not that this is relevant, but it depends on how you look at it. You might have more people jumping on the bandwagon, doesn't mean they were "more excited". Like I have said already, you obviously were watching some VERY biased news reports that went out of their way to make us look disinterested and stupid.

Scott Talyor when he was on the score said that tickets for the confrence finals were selling for 26 bucks ya that should make it hard to sell out games.
Wow, another falsehood in the Canadian media regarding Tampa? That's really hard to believe...not! :shakehead Trust me, tickets were in no way shape or form that cheap, or I wouldn't have had to stop going after the semi-finals because the tickets were too expensive.

and there was a poll of like somewhere from 100-500 ppl don't know exactly 88 percent of the ppl didn't know what icing was
Again, what does that have to do with ANYTHING???? Just because some reporter went out of his way to make Floridians look stupid, this is supposed to influence whether a team is financially viable? You must be one of those folks who believe everything you read in the paper and see on TV.

You are really reaching here, I don't think you're convincing anyone.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
MooseHunter said:
Excuse me, but read the canucks.com message board. HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Any decent Canucks fan knows not to read that garbage.

I did say there were new fans to the game, and how about the fans that were there during the rough years? Hiding in shame. Wouldn't you do the same?

i wouldn't i was born later and did not get to see the oilers ever make the playoffs til 97. i went through the tuff yrs in 95-97. My school is a perfect example of band wagoners i live in vancouver island where nobody cares about the canucks but when they made the playoff ppl started watching. There were about 10 kids out of 1500 that liked the canucks through the bad yrs

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Sotnos said:
Well then, all the better for ALL small market teams, right?

Not that this is relevant, but it depends on how you look at it. You might have more people jumping on the bandwagon, doesn't mean they were "more excited". Like I have said already, you obviously were watching some VERY biased news reports that went out of their way to make us look disinterested and stupid.

Wow, another falsehood in the Canadian media regarding Tampa? That's really hard to believe...not! :shakehead Trust me, tickets were in no way shape or form that cheap, or I wouldn't have had to stop going after the semi-finals because the tickets were too expensive.

Again, what does that have to do with ANYTHING???? Just because some reporter went out of his way to make Floridians look stupid, this is supposed to influence whether a team is financially viable? You must be one of those folks who believe everything you read in the paper and see on TV.

You are really reaching here, I don't think you're convincing anyone.

i am not trying to convince anyone to contract tampa i am just saying hockey is not anywhere near as big down there as it is up here

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
oilerlova you sure are trying to seem like you're making a defence about it.

Tampa has die hard fans just like any Canadian team or any american. Wake up and smell the sunshine.

I never said the Canucks didn't have bandwagonners :banghead: Every team has them. The Canucks fans I know personally though aren't.

I personally lived through hell when Keenan was GM and coach. from 1996-2000. I have been a fan of the Canucks since I was 5 years old and there have always been fans. Regardless of how crappy they've been, however there are those kind of people that won't go to games when they're crappy because it's a waste of money.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
MooseHunter said:
oilerlova you sure are trying to seem like you're making a defence about it.

Tampa has die hard fans just like any Canadian team or any american. Wake up and smell the sunshine.

I never said the Canucks didn't have bandwagonners :banghead: Every team has them. The Canucks fans I know personally though aren't.

I personally lived through hell when Keenan was GM and coach. from 1996-2000. I have been a fan of the Canucks since I was 5 years old and there have always been fans. Regardless of how crappy they've been, however there are those kind of people that won't go to games when they're crappy because it's a waste of money.

obviously there are some real canuck fans i was just saying that most ppl here in B.C could care less about them when they are doing bad that's all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad