If you were an NHL player...

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
What type of market would you prefer to play in?

A big scale one like Montreal, New York, Boston, Chicago, Toronto, Philly?

Or a smaller scale one like an Ottawa, Anaheim, Columbus?

I personally wouldn't mind playing in a larger one.. there's an aura around it I think that would make it a lot of fun to play in

Qward

Because! That's why!
Jul 23, 2010
Behind you, look out
I would be a goalie and I would either want to play for one of my boy hood teams (Chicago, I was an Ed Belfour far. Stopped cheering for them when he was traded and focused on my second favorite, Ottawa.)

or I would like to play where it is warm and sunny. Florida or California.
Drive to practice in your shorts, no one knows who you are.

Honorable mention to the Rangers. Always a dream to be rich and live in NYC. A condo overlooking central park.

Least favorite market. Toronto or Montreal. Too crazy.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
in order

New York Rangers, Tampa Bay, Florida Panthers, Los Angelas Kings, Anaheim, San Jose, Vancouver

Deku

I'm off the planet
Nov 5, 2011
Ottawa
I would primarily want to play for a Cali or Florida team but I would play for anyone besides TOR and MTL.

derriko

Mar 7, 2009
Las Vegas
I am a snow bird through and through. I wouldn't care about recognition, prestige, etc. and would go somewhere where the winter consists of 60 degree lows. Florida or SoCal.

Alfie#11

May 7, 2003
Visit site
Dallas would be my choice.

Really, any of the sun belt or southern teams. Playing the sport I love and making a lot of money in a warm climate. Next to no public pressure. Girls will still be impressed when they find out you are a professional athelet and rich.

Tristqc

Mar 22, 2009
Gatineau
I'd always go for the dark horse in a market that has something to prove:

Atlantic:

- Ottawa
- Buffalo

Metropolitain:

- Philadelphia
- Columbus

Central:

- Minnesota
- Winnipeg

Pacific:

- Calgary
- Edmonton

GuidedRightly

Dec 3, 2013
Dubai
Other than Ottawa.

I'd like anyone of the southern USA markets preferably one of the Cali teams or Dallas so I am close to family.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Wow...that's a surprisingly tough question.

On one hand, all the New York based teams look really nice from a travel perspective. I do believe those three have the least amount of airmiles per year. Saves a ton of hassle.

Playing somewhere in Florida or Cali would be an interesting lifestyle....but there's been a lot of nasty (crime/race) related incidents coming out of that state, and the overly aggressive 'progressives' in Cali would boil my blood in a hurry.

Colorado would be an interesting option. Good fanbase, pretty even-keeled social atmosphere, nice weather, beautiful area. Good young team poised to make a mark for a few years.

A big hell no to Toronto, Vancouver and Montreal. Those nutcase fans and media aren't worth it.

Winnipeg, Edmonton, Ottawa and Calgary are a bit smallish with an intrusive fanbase and nasty winter. Don't really care for the Alberta mentality, either...a bit too right-leaning at times.

Chicago and Detroit are good teams...but very limited in safe places to live. Sure, there are good areas in that region, but knowing there is so much crime within a drivable distance...meh. Ditto to Washington...lots of crime in many areas.

Boston is a beautiful city. Good hard-working team. Would probably get myself killed laughing at the local accents though.

Nashville...good team, nice city. Don't care for the music and a bit too old fashioned at times. Ditto to St. Louis.

Minnesota...if Cooke and Heatley weren't there, would really like it. Nice middle-of-the-road mentality, nice sized area. Good folks and fans. Bit of a cold winter, but still better than what we're used to here in Ottawa.

Philly...love the fans, hate the city. Pittsburgh, hate both the bandwagonners and the city.

Phoenix....warm is nice...a bazillion degrees is not. Forget that one.

Hmmmm......I just don't know. There are positives and negatives to all the cities out there. I'd probably stick with one of the teams in NYC. Just avoiding all that travel, and having the ability to pretty much disappear in that city off the ice while still having a decent fanbase is just too good to pass up.

Yokai

Mar 29, 2011
Ottawa
I'd probably want to be somewhere like San Jose. Great climate, competitive team, not a ton of media harassment by the looks of it. Plus you get to skate out of a giant shark head...

cso2012

Oct 16, 2012
Ottawa, Ontario
depends

I'd go with the smaller time markets to start the career (shorts in LA, or SJ)...

Finish off with a legacy team like bos or nyr.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
As much as I would want to play in Ottawa.. the media here is way too nosy and intrusive and it can definately be an irritant after a while.

I'd rather play in some large American city where I can just disappear once the games are over and have my own life without anyone prying or trying to get information about it

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
Other than Ottawa (hometown ofc)...

East:
New York Rangers
Boston Bruins
Philadelphia Flyers

West:
Nashville Predators

Other than that, no real interest in going west, wanna stay east :D

DrunkUncleDenis

Condra Fan
Mar 27, 2012
It's amazing that the Panthers are so consistently terrible considering how many people seem to want to play down south.

I was in Tampa/St Pete/Clearwater last week. The area is on the Gulf coast, not the Atlantic side, so it's all warm blue waters, sandy beaches and epic fishing. It'd be a riot to play for Tampa Bay.

Side note, Yorkie talked last month about playing in the warm climate of Anaheim. He said it actually didn't make much difference to him because during the hockey season you are at the rink every day and rarely get the time off to go out and enjoy the weather anyway. Then he immediately contradicted himself by saying how nice it was to relax in your backyard hot tub while it is 20+ degrees in February.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Habs/Leafs because I'd want to play in a pressure-heavy market. As much as I love the city of Ottawa itself, the media are pretty easy on the team (JR on TSN1200 even admitted as much...) so...

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Big market.

But really it would come down to who offered me the most money, what my chances were to succeed on a team, and if a team was a likely playoff contender or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad