Speculation: If you were a GM (Brady Tkachuk)

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018
From what I've seen Brady want more AAV, because of a lack of bonuses, and I dont blame him if thats the case. Melnyk is a cheap owner not willing to put up for his star players. Ottawa's forever in purgatory with Melnyk.
Colorado didn’t give Ratanen any signing bonuses and Makar got one signing bonus - he gets one million as a signing bonus in the last year of his deal.

Landeskog also gets one 1m signing bonus in his deal too, in the same season, 2026-27. Presumably that’s because the CBA extension expires after 2025-26 but 1m is more of a gesture than sizable bonus.

The Blues don’t give out signing bonuses at all, that was one the issues Pietrangelo had with the team. (He gets 35m of his 61.6m contract from Vegas in signing bonuses.)

Svechnikov got 4m signing bonus this season from Carolina but that’s it for all 8 years. The Canes don’t typically give out any though, no else they signed are getting any (except Aho but that contract of course wasn’t their idea.)

The Ducks are another team that doesn’t give out signing bonuses. The Jets don’t either, Wheeler got 4m signing bonus his 1st year in his latest deal but that’s it, none of their other current big name players got any.

There might be even more teams that don’t pay their stars with signing bonuses. Ottawa certainly isn’t alone in that policy, even though some of these teams have made small exceptions and maybe that’s possible here as well.

Reactions: SENStastic

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Give him what he wants.

In the end all teams give their young top players exactly what they want nowadays so may as well do it now and get it over with.... Sens desperately need him in the lineup and the longer it goes, the more evident it will be just how needed he is.

Now having said that, I'm by no means happy that teams always cave and give their young star players what they want, but it happens... so Sens may as well just do it now. Give him the 3 year deal(or whatever it is and worry about this again in a few years.

Grand Admiral Thrawn

May 24, 2012
Montreal
If I'm Dorion what do I do with BT?
Let him sit at home and watch hockey for the duration of his RFA years.

I also thow him under the bus in the media. Tell them a couple bs stories where we offered him 8 x 8, 6 x 9 and 2 x 10 and he declined.

Then say, if Brady doesn't want to play for the Sens, we are more than happy to oblige him, but he won't be playing for anyone anytime soon.

We buy him a year supply worth of ships and salsa to show him we still care and then get back to business without him.

Reality Czech

Apr 17, 2017
People keep saying to he is crazy for being greedy because he supposedly turned down 8x8. But what I heard on TSN is he is concerned about committing long term for Ottawa largely to do with Ownership. That sounds fair.

That's exactly it. Lots of people in this thread seem to have missed that he didn't reject the 8-year offer because of the money, it's because he doesn't want to make that long of a commitment right now. At least not in Ottawa.

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
Give him what he wants.

In the end all teams give their young top players exactly what they want nowadays so may as well do it now and get it over with.... Sens desperately need him in the lineup and the longer it goes, the more evident it will be just how needed he is.

Now having said that, I'm by no means happy that teams always cave and give their young star players what they want, but it happens... so Sens may as well just do it now. Give him the 3 year deal(or whatever it is and worry about this again in a few years.
Pretty bad take. I’m all for the sens not giving in. Giving in is what will screw them down the road with Stützle Sanderson Norris and crew. Stutzle is the superstar you save the $ for. Tkachuk is a great complimentary player that should never be getting more than 8 mil a year. Otherwise you end up in the shit show that Toronto is in w Marner. He ain’t worth that $.

Reactions: FMichael

FMichael

Dec 22, 2010
Wisconsin
Give him what he wants.

Steve Yzerman respectfully disagrees.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
1 year ago there was a Marner for Tkachuk trade proposal thread. Some leafs fans said no way we trade marner for a 45 point player which for the record I didn’t think was a good comment to make. Everyone was scotching their comments. Now that Tkachuk needs a new deal and he’s asking for crazy money, there’s Sens fans coming in and saying 8x8 is crazy for a 45 point player lol

Random Comment

Mar 5, 2018
1 year ago there was a Marner for Tkachuk trade proposal thread. Some leafs fans said no way we trade marner for a 45 point player which for the record I didn’t think was a good comment to make. Everyone was scotching their comments. Now that Tkachuk needs a new deal and he’s asking for crazy money, there’s Sens fans coming in and saying 8x8 is crazy for a 45 point player lol
No sens fan is saying that. Tkachuk is not a 45 point player. He’s likely a 65-75 point player who plays a hard nosed game. His contract should be similar to Svechnikov, which is a tad under 8 mil.

Marners contract is just …well…not good value for what he brings.

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Make him sit. It’s never an advantage for the young player to hold out. Pretty much universally leads to a step back in development.

Do you have any examples at all for your universal truth?

Eric Lindros sat out his entire would-be rookie season and then returned to post 41-goal 75-point season in just 61-games.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'd pull a Teddy KGB and...

"Pay heem. Pay dat man hees money."

5 x 7.5 or 8 x 9

Stutzle will be the engine of the Sens. Chabot and Sanderson will be the generals. But Brady will be the heartbeat.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I traded him for kaprizov in fantasy last year so let him sit .

Tbh tho he is like ovie lite he is just missing the Backstrom on his line he is playing with garbage is the main issue.

Id still pay him 8x3 . If all of the sens prospects workout he can protect them for a bit and it gives them the flexibility to move on

Last edited:

Jeune Poulet

Oct 31, 2019
From what I've seen Brady want more AAV, because of a lack of bonuses, and I dont blame him if thats the case. Melnyk is a cheap owner not willing to put up for his star players. Ottawa's forever in purgatory with Melnyk.

8x8 for Tkachuk is not cheap. On the contrary, it's too much.

While being stingy in the NHL is not a good idea, throwing money around overpaying players isn't accomplishing anything either.

Reactions: centipede2233

centipede2233

Sep 13, 2010
8x8 for Tkachuk is not cheap. On the contrary, it's too much.

While being stingy in the NHL is not a good idea, throwing money around overpaying players isn't accomplishing anything either.
Yeah, Toronto gave there players everything, high AAV, max bonuses, what’s that gotten them, a playin round loss to one of the worse playin rd teams and a 1st rd loss to Montreal who were statistically the worse playoff team. I hear people say it’s ok to overpay your stars, and history has shown, overpaying your stars gets you nowhere. if you look at the Stanley cup winning teams, they never have a bad high money contract. They are always filled with high production to good AAV, that’s how you win cups.

Reactions: Jeune Poulet

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
That's exactly it. Lots of people in this thread seem to have missed that he didn't reject the 8-year offer because of the money, it's because he doesn't want to make that long of a commitment right now. At least not in Ottawa.
Then there should've been a bridge contract signed by now that doesn't bring him straight to UFA. But there hasn't. If I'm not mistaken wasn't it reported that he wants the exact term to take him to UFA(4 I think?). Why not sign a 2-3 year deal? Give them a few years to show him a long term commitment to winning.

IMO he wants 4(?) years at X AAV and they're refusing to book his ticket straight to UFA.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
Then there should've been a bridge contract signed by now that doesn't bring him straight to UFA. But there hasn't. If I'm not mistaken wasn't it reported that he wants the exact term to take him to UFA(4 I think?). Why not sign a 2-3 year deal? Give them a few years to show him a long term commitment to winning.

IMO he wants 4(?) years at X AAV and they're refusing to book his ticket straight to UFA.

When was the last time a team gave a promising young player coming off the elc a deal that takes him straight to ufa?? Almost seems pointless to aim for that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad