If you had to decide for a PP QB for the next few years who would you take?

If you had to decide for a PP QB for the next few years who would you take?

• Evan Bouchard

Votes: 70 74.5%
  • Erik Karlsson

Votes: 24 25.5%

• Total voters

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Like Karlsson, but I would not get him because of the PP. I don't think he would make that much of a dif there. His usefulness would be driving 5v5 offense when McDavid is off the ice which would give a solid chance at a Presidents trophy win for the team. Just looking at the PP though, think Bouch is just fine.

Our PP already hits the threshold where if we score any more refs will just call less in our favour to make sure we get less PP's. We just ran a historically good PP % all year and just barely hit the franchise record of PP goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aerrol

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
Karlsson will cost 9-10 millions in addition to assets that would take to acquire him. He's not good defensively. He's redundant on the team that has Ekholm, Nurse and Bouchard and needs cap space to keep secondary scorers and an effective bottom six. When the Oilers traded for Ekholm, the Karlsson story ended.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Karlsson will cost 9-10 millions in addition to assets that would take to acquire him. He's not good defensively. He's redundant on the team that has Ekholm, Nurse and Bouchard and needs cap space to keep secondary scorers and an effective bottom six. When the Oilers traded for Ekholm, the Karlsson story ended.
I don't think Karlsson would be redundant here in any way. But you're right about the Karlsson story ending when the team acquired Ekholm.

There's just no room anymore for Karlsson and his contract. Even at if you got ~4M retained I don't think it would work.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
I voted Karlsson, but mostly becauseI don't believe that narrative of "there's only one puck". When you add more talent, it compounds, just like how the Avs having Rantanen and MacKinnon doesn't make Makar a spare part.

But, Bouchard seems like who we should stick with, considering the cost to get him and the cap cost. In the cap era you don't want to pile on expensive players. Bouchard has been doing very well and has ramped up his intensity. He will be cheaper to sign than adding Karlsson would, and he's younger so he fits our long cup window.

But, this assumes that we can't make a trade that makes sense. Adding Karlsson makes us better, and putting him on our PP makes it better.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
I pick Bouchard. However I would still trade for Karlsson. Let them have even ice time on the PP, I'd bring Karlsson for how good he would be 5on5 with the forwards on this team.

AM

Nov 22, 2004
Edmonton
I would consider it at 75% retained and make sure he’s ok not getting pp minutes.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
I'd much rather have Karlsson if the right retention can be negotiated, both for the powerplay and even more so 5v5. Bouchard has improved with Ekholm but I'm not sold on him like many are. I also want no part of a 4m-5m bridge deal on him, which is likely.

Think Bouchard pre-Ekholm. Think Karlsson no Ekholm. Now think Karlsson paired with Ekholm. If the cap can work it's a no brainer.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
Bouchard is one dam good Powerplay point man. Its his bread and butter. His wrist shot is world class.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Bouchard is too stationary on the PP for my liking. But he's getting better at moving around tho. Great wrister. Karlsson has a better one. Weaker than Bouchard but it slices thru traffic and he knows when to use it. Karlsson dances around the offensive zone and it's a thing of beauty

mkatcherin00

Sponsor
Apr 2, 2023
EASILY Bouch b/c of karlsonns salary. We are already the #1 scoring team

Holland needs a top 4 steady dman and a steady goaltender to win a cup

If we really want to expand the wish list, a bigger guy to replace Yammo and a more grittier 3c

Oilers

Feb 13, 2016
Our PP is #1 and Bouchard fits it well. We need more defenseman like Ekholm on this team.

That said, Karlsson Vs Bouchard on offensive playing ability alone? Karlsson easily.

Trafalgar Sadge Law

Nov 8, 2007
Bouchard is dollar for dollar and age wise the better investment by far and we don't need to deal with the headaches of retention/trade a bunch of assets to boot. Assuming Bouchard doesn't go off for like PPG this playoffs and gets like 8 million he has to be the answer. And if he goes off for PPG in the playoffs, the answer is probably Bouchard anyway!

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
The only way I'd trade Bouch for EK is if Karlsson is at a 9.5 cap hit or less and they take back Campbell. I'd pay another team to eat 2M of Karlsson so we get him at 7.5. Not likely, but that should be the only way

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad