If you could choose ANY Dman for the rest of their career, who would it be?

see title

• Dahlin

• Doughty

• Subban

• Jones

• Burns

• Karlsson

• Hedman

• Pietrangelo

• Keith

• Josi

• McAvoy

• Provorov

• other (who?)

• Werenski

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Jones is the best of the youngest. Could be Dahlin too, but MAYBE (huge maybe) he doesnt become a number 1 D.

Jones
Dahlin
Hedman
Karlsson
Doughty
Josi
Pietrangelo
Subban

McAvoy and the rest...

Though if thats on the Habs it's
Dahlin
Hedman
Karlsson
Josi
Jones
Doughty/Pie/Subban

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
You forgot to put Klingberg and Ghost on this list. I'd take McAvoy or Jones probably though. I also like Provorov a lot. Also why is Keith on this list lol.

Last edited:

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Being a Leaf fan I'd just take the best contract, all of them are similar enough so whoever is on the best contract is my pick.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
It was between Hedman/Dahlin/Jones for me but couldn't pass up on adding a prime Hedman to the Leafs.

Reactions: A91

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Dahlin.

I expect him to become the best d-man in the league. And he's the youngest here. Fairly comfortable choosing him.

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Dahlin is too much of a mystery at this point, especially with how volataile 1OA dmen have been in the past

Give me the sure thing instead

Not really. How much of a mystery were McDavid and Matthews at the draft? Its a pretty safe bet that Dahlin turns out to be at least a first pairing dman. And he's like at least 5 years younger than the rest of the guys on this list. Rasmus Dahlin is 6 years younger than Seth Jones. 9 years younger than Hedman. 10 younger than Karlsson. That's huge. This guy's been heavily scouted for the past 3 years and he's played above his competition and excelled at every level. He was playing in the SHL at age 15. Barring a freak accident which every player is prone to or some kind of weird personality thing that no one has seen Dahlin is as safe as it gets.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
Not really. How much of a mystery were McDavid and Matthews at the draft? Its a pretty safe bet that Dahlin turns out to be at least a first pairing dman. And he's like at least 5 years younger than the rest of the guys on this list. Rasmus Dahlin is 6 years younger than Seth Jones. 9 years younger than Hedman. 10 younger than Karlsson. That's huge. This guy's been heavily scouted for the past 3 years and he's played above his competition and excelled at every level. He was playing in the SHL at age 15. Barring a freak accident which every player is prone to or some kind of weird personality thing that no one has seen Dahlin is as safe as it gets.

Look at the 1st OA dmen

- Denis Potvin
-Greg Joly
-Rick Green
-Rob Ramage
-Gord Kluzak
-Wendel Clark
-Roman Hamrlik
-Ed Jovanovski
-Bryan Berard
-Chris Phillips
-Erik Johnson
-Aaron Ekblad

Which one of those guys would you take a full career of over something more certain, like Hedman or Jones?

The only easy choice is Denis Potvin

Like I said, with how volatile defensemen can be I wouldn't risk it. Centers have been much easier to bank on, thats why less mystery around McDavid and Matthews. The only real whiff on forwards dating back to Stefan has been Yakupov and (to a lesser extent) Nuge

I'm not going to bet against him being a stud, just seems like the safer smarter bet to go with a proven commodity

Icebreakers

Apr 29, 2011
Look at the 1st OA dmen

- Denis Potvin
-Greg Joly
-Rick Green
-Rob Ramage
-Gord Kluzak
-Wendel Clark
-Roman Hamrlik
-Ed Jovanovski
-Bryan Berard
-Chris Phillips
-Erik Johnson
-Aaron Ekblad

Which one of those guys would you take a full career of over something more certain, like Hedman or Jones?

The only easy choice is Denis Potvin

Like I said, with how volatile defensemen can be I wouldn't risk it. Centers have been much easier to bank on, thats why less mystery around McDavid and Matthews. The only real whiff on forwards dating back to Stefan has been Yakupov and (to a lesser extent) Nuge

I'm not going to bet against him being a stud, just seems like the safer smarter bet to go with a proven commodity

Many of those comparables are not really comparable. The only thing they will have in common are the first overall draft positions. Can you really compare Chris Philips to Rasmus Dahlin? Even Ekblad isn't a comparable. Dahlin would skate circles around him at the same age. Svechnikov is almost a goal per game and he's not even in consideration for first overall. Not even Nashville would take him first overall, that's how big the gap is. Its a real fallacy to think past dman have not planned out therefore Dahlin might not when he has the unique skills that would make him stand out over the rest. Not saying that Dahlin is the right answer here, but let's not pretend he's a mystery box and that's all he is.

Reactions: Iceman

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
Erik Karlsson
He's still only 27 (same as Hedman) and I expect him to bounce back from his slight down season

Reactions: Sensung

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Hedman, AINEC...

He’s the best of the bunch, he’s still got another good 6 to 8 seasons left in him of Elite play and he’s proven.

Dahlin has the most potential but he’s a wild card for now...

Reactions: ACC1224

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Jones, the best balance between proven and having peak years ahead. He's played like a top 10, possibly top 5 defender this year, has an absolutely unreal package of skills, and has pretty much his entire prime ahead of him.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Huge Jones fan but right now you gotta take Hedman since he has firmly established himself as a top-3 defenseman in the league.

Jones could get there and he is making some headway. Dahlin maybe but I'm bullish on Swedish defensemen until they show it in the NHL since Swedes really like to hype their top young defensemen.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Dahlin is too much of a mystery at this point, especially with how volataile 1OA dmen have been in the past

My thoughts exactly. Taking a prospect over an already young legit proven #1 dman is just absurd.

Mats13

Apr 22, 2015

Dahlin is generational. These types of players don't disappoint.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Really surprised so many people would be willing to gamble on a guy that hasn't even been drafted yet. I'd probably take Jones or Karlsson depending where my team is at.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
I'd probably take Jones. He's established top pairing dman in the NHL but still only 23. Cheap deal for 4 more years. Love his attitude wanting to be the difference maker and as far as tools go he's pretty much got it all. He's a driven individual and for sure has his best years ahead of him. Also like that he's a right-handed shot, those can sometimes be tough to get.

I know there's better players in their primes but i think in a few years Jones is up there (at the very least not too far behind), more longevity and the contract are big pluses.

Could apply this same logic to some of the other young dmen there but just personal preference.

And if we're looking to add on my team Jones would fit right in with the other core young guys being roughly the same age. Of course if my team was more of a veteran team with multiple playoff runs under their belts, then i'd go with Hedman or EK to hopefully win a cup or two in the immediate future.

Reactions: wintersej

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad