If we miss the playoffs this year does that make next year vital for Chevy?

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
So you honestly think that after 6 years of no playoffs that the Jets will say to Chevy "ok lets try this ONE more season?"

I appreciate your patience but I think a lot of us are really falling in to the trap of being "happy just to have a team". In a cap world where you can win trades, sign free agents taking 5 years+ to get into the post season while not giving up on your young players or draft picks is ridiculous.

Not my patience, True North's.

I think the team was overperforming under Maurice for the first 15 games of his tenure. Emotion, adrenaline, whatever the cause may be. The Olympic break snapped the euphoria driving the team and we've reverted, over the past five or so games back to what this team is, close, but not quite, especially moving to the Western Conference.

I do however think the team is better than it was last year but that we appear to be treading water.

That said, Chevy needs to make some moves this year, presumably in the off-season. Sure, the prospects look nice and we all "hope" that Lowry and Kosmachuk can crack the top six, but realistically we should probably expect bottom six with adequate ability to fill in on the second line for injuries. Maybe Petan makes the transition and is an MSL kind of guy, but likely not. No, the reality is we'll have Scheifs and Troubs up and contributing. Morrissey should be along shortly and it's looking like we may have another top ten pick in the draft. Anything beyond those four is gravy.

I think Chevy's had some bad luck (or made poor choices) for off-season acquisitions. I'm thrilled with Frolik, especially given the price and think he's performed admirably but the Cup team used him on the third line and we use him on our first, so that alone speaks volumes about our team. The rest have been iffy - Olli, Seto, Poni. I'm happier than I'd be were I a Leafs fan, but that's not saying much.

But that's my assessment and it doesn't matter, aside from conversation purposes. I just don't think TNSE thinks Chevy has underperformed from their long term view.

Bristo

The Oracle
Mar 24, 2013
Yeah, Chevy is safe for the next several years. He's signed for the next what, 4 years after this one?

As frustrating as it is not seeing him doing anything at trade deadline of go on spending sprees in FA, he is still doing this the right way, and we are seeing results. I think True North is doing this the right way, that once we start seeing really competitive Winnipeg Jets teams it will be possible/less difficult to sustain that competitiveness because we're building from the bottom up.

Seems like Schiefele and Trouba are home runs, and we've got some serious hope with Petan and Morrissey. I don't think we really have too far too go or too long to wait.

There's no reason to fire Chevy or even consider it at this point.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
I think next year is vital for Chevy but not in the same way as OP is describing.

The big minute players are signed LT.
Cap is going up.
Trouba + Scheif helping out by eating big mins while on ELCs.
Few obvious holes may be fillable simple with wise UFA movements.
Byfuglien - while being an amazing D-man - may be "moveable" due to youth movement for RHD.
Goaltending (insert dead horse)

It's critical, but I think Chevy will be around for a while.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
One thing i do kind of have an issue with. What is "building"

Have we really been "building"?

We talk about being patient,thinking long term, building through the draft, developing, and etc etc etc.

If mgmt was really taking a long term approach... then wouldn't trading a core piece or two have been a given? The picks and prospects would help our "building" immensely.

If we're more concerned with shaping a team for the future, then wouldn't selling off aging UFA's for ANYTHING have been a better idea than hanging on to them only to miss the playoffs anyways?

I personally believe management thought what they have right now would improve to the point that they were able to sneak us into the playoffs once or twice while we continue to focus on solid drafting. It just didn't turn out that way.

I do think we will learn a lot about Chevy and his plan in the offseason. Our key players are locked up, and we will have cap to spend. Will Chevy make the moves needed to add talent and depth to this group? Or stand pat and hope that the same group will take us somewhere this time around?

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007

We talk about being patient,thinking long term, building through the draft, developing, and etc etc etc.

If mgmt was really taking a long term approach... then wouldn't trading a core piece or two have been a given? The picks and prospects would help our "building" immensely.

If we're more concerned with shaping a team for the future, then wouldn't selling off aging UFA's for ANYTHING have been a better idea than hanging on to them only to miss the playoffs anyways?

I personally believe management thought what they have right now would improve to the point that they were able to sneak us into the playoffs once or twice while we continue to focus on solid drafting. It just didn't turn out that way.

I do think we will learn a lot about Chevy and his plan in the offseason. Our key players are locked up, and we will have cap to spend. Will Chevy make the moves needed to add talent and depth to this group? Or stand pat and hope that the same group will take us somewhere this time around?

I believe that the opening premise of this thread is that if the Jets miss the playoffs this year, then is NEXT year a do-or-die for Chevy? IMO, to some extent it is. If the miss this year AND next, that only leaves one more season on a "five year plan".

How did every GM hired to a new team come to the conclusion that a "five year plan" is needed? And just what is "the plan"? If you are "building" from the draft, after 5 years you would have 4 1st round picks on your team and maybe 3 2nd and lower round picks on your NHL roster. The rest of your draft picks would still be in junior or college, or the minors. That would be about 7 players in the NHL, ranging from bona fide stars to those barely making the team.

So that, plus trades and the maturation of young players on your inherited roster, would (in the opinion of most GM hires) be enough to transform a team from not being in the playoffs to what? The Stanley Cup? A playoff berth as the 8th seed?

White Out 403*

I think Chevy's had some bad luck (or made poor choices) for off-season acquisitions. I'm thrilled with Frolik, especially given the price and think he's performed admirably but the Cup team used him on the third line and we use him on our first, so that alone speaks volumes about our team. The rest have been iffy - Olli, Seto, Poni. I'm happier than I'd be were I a Leafs fan, but that's not saying much.

But that's my assessment and it doesn't matter, aside from conversation purposes. I just don't think TNSE thinks Chevy has underperformed from their long term view.

They made the playoffs last year, we didn't. They will probably this year and we probably won't.

Granted our prospects are ranked in the 2nd 3rd of the league and Torontos in the bottom 3rd but that's just potential and could be wrong. I'm not mocking any Leafs fan right now :(

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Honest question. Has there ever been a person in TNSE management that has used the phrase "5 year"?

I'm pretty sure they've all said things like "patience", "build through the draft", etc. Just wanted to check and see if there was a documented quote somewhere where a TNSE exec put a 5 year time-stamp on things.

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Honest question. Has there ever been a person in TNSE management that has used the phrase "5 year"?

I'm pretty sure they've all said things like "patience", "build through the draft", etc. Just wanted to check and see if there was a documented quote somewhere where a TNSE exec put a 5 year time-stamp on things.

From my own investigation, it seems like no.
No one has mentioned the 5 year plan.
Management has mentioned having a plan and not steering away from the plan.
The 5 year narrative seems to be spurred from Chevy's original contract length.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
As long as the Jets are filing the MTS centre in spite of the fact that there is no improvement, Chevy's job is safe. Personally, I don't get it but there are many fans who are satisfied that no improvement in team performance (measured in points or playoff appearances) is ok 3 years in to a 5 year plan. Examples are singled out like, Chevy got Frolik. That was great - but that was June of last year. Well, we are stocking the shelves with draft picks, that's how the team is improving - really, we just missed the last chance to do that this year before our UFAs are up.

Winnipeg is a very knowledgable hockey town. I think that the honeymoon period has been extended a couple of years. But pretty soon, the fans will wake up and start to demand actual improvement in exchange for their hard earned dollars. I don't know which clock strikes first - TNSE saying - hey we just missed the playoffs for the 6th year, weren't we on some kind of 5 year plan? Or the fans saying, hey we just missed the playoffs for the ( insert number of years here) year - we were on a 5 year plan. TNSE has $25k -$35k of my money and I haven't seen a playoff game. Hmmm.

I think that unless the fan base starts talking with their wallets, Chevy has a 6 year pass.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
I think Chevy's safe for at least 2 more seasons after this one. TNSE wants to build slow and steady - and that's exactly what they're getting.

IMO its going to take an awful lot to get Chevy fired. There will be a lot of discontent if we miss the playoffs for two more years. If he keeps drafting well Chevy will be safe - although numbers of detractors will start being noticeable.

However, if Chevy continues to tie his future to the Pavs bandwagon (i.e., doesn't buy him out this summer & management continues to overplay Pavs irregardless of his mediocre/poor performance), the fan outcry will become so great by the end of next season that Chevy's job will be in jeopardy.

Guardian17

Strong & Free
Aug 29, 2010
Winnipeg
There is no chance Chevy is fired in the off season. Absolutely none. He's building the team exactly how the ownership group has wanted him to. His drafting has been very strong. Speaking a week or so after hte Noel firing Chipman was still remorseful about it. Chevy isn't close to getting fired, nor should he be

I agree with this!

WinnipegWinter*

Dec 4, 2011
Winnipeg
I think most fans including me are willing to be patient and like the job Chevy is doing. We all knew this was going to take time. Done right, the Jets could actually be the next Canadian team to win the Cup. ( I don't see any other team with the horses to do it) Done wrong we would be perennially out after the first round.

This is a nice thought - I think we give the Canadians a run for their money, and its hard to say what will happen with Edmonton in the next two years

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

From my own investigation, it seems like no.
No one has mentioned the 5 year plan.
Management has mentioned having a plan and not steering away from the plan.
The 5 year narrative seems to be spurred from Chevy's original contract length.

I have never heard TNSE say "5 year plan". I believe it is urban legend and most likely started on this site. ;)

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I'm thrilled with Frolik, especially given the price and think he's performed admirably but the Cup team used him on the third line and we use him on our first, so that alone speaks volumes about our team. The rest have been iffy - Olli, Seto, Poni.

I totally get what you're saying here. Although with Frolik, I admire his run to hold the first (1A/1B) line. He's been playing great, so hats off to him. And good on the organization for recognizing and rewarding that play.

I can understand both ways of looking at i.

Warcry

Jan 19, 2013

I agree with this sentiment. Management seemed to think they'd be able to crack the playoffs with the roster they had, giving them time to build up the prospect pool slowly. But evidently they were wrong, and the biggest determining factor in how next year goes is how they acknowledge and react to that fact.

Considering what time of year it is, it's only natural that people are focusing on how Chevy has chosen to hold onto UFAs and lose them for nothing in the slim hope of making a playoff run. And with good cause! If those free agents had been turned into assets, even low-round picks, they would have helped to deepen our prospect pool and letting them go wouldn't hurt so much. But the Jets have a proven aversion to selling at the deadline when the team isn't good enough to buy, which means they haven't built up their prospect pipeline as deeply as they could. And that's important, because outside of early first-rounders like Scheifele and Trouba (and Morrissey) that are expected to make it, prospects are a crapshoot and the best way to make sure a few of them are making a difference on the team in a couple years is to have as many of them as possible. As it stands, unless all of our prospects make it there simply won't be enough talent coming from them to plug all the holes we've got now, let alone the ones that will open up as our current core ages and falls down the depth chart. And not all of them are going to make it. No matter how much we like guys like Petan, Lowry, Huchinson or Kosmachuk, some of them are going to be busts.

To bring things back around to the thread topic, I don't think that Chevy is going to be fired if he misses the playoffs again next year. But I do think that it will start to send red flags going up in TNSE headquarters, if they aren't already. Chevy has made his fair share of mistakes over the past few years, and because of that the Jets aren't as far ahead as they could have been.

If he'd let Pavelec walk a couple years ago and brought in another goalie to replace him, the team would probably have a brief playoff appearance under its belt and be en route to a second this year.

If he'd rebuilt the bottom six with solid role players instead of relying on slowing former top-sixers, waiver-wire pickups and offensively gifted defensemen to plug the holes, that could also have propelled the team into the playoffs even with Pavs being a below-average starter.

If he'd brought back Hainsey or found a solid LHD to work on the second pair instead of relying on Clitsome and Stuart, tighter play on the back end could have us a few wins ahead of where we are now.

If none of those things were possible for cap, contract or availability reasons...then this team as constituted was never going anywhere to start with and he could have sold off UFAs and even a few of our core pieces to bring in more prospects and picks to speed up the rebuild.

But he's done none of those things, and even after three years I can't tell what direction he thinks the team is moving in. He lets UFAs walk, even ones that won't cost more than a pittance to resign, which implies he thinks that the team has the prospect depth to replace them, but more waiver-wire claims have cracked the lineup than rookies during his tenure. He talks about patience and building through the draft, then signs coveted UFAs and trades picks for players. He tries to trade our core players in December when the team is cold, then tries to buy rental players in March when they're on an unsustainable hot streak. That leaves me wondering what the plan is, because the actions he's taken so far are confusing at best. The end result of all of this is that after three seasons the Jets are still a (very likely at this point) non-playoff team with two forward lines, one and a half solid defence pairings, no starting goalie and a bunch of spare parts plugged into roles that they don't fit. And they are liable to stay that way for the next three or four years if nothing changes.

I don't expect immediate success, but I think the team would be farther ahead if Chevy had picked a direction and stuck with it instead of trying to have his cake and eat it too. I'm not asking him to pull off a miraculous improvement overnight, but he needs to decide what direction this team is headed and lead it that way, even if it involves a painful step or two backwards, instead of hedging his bets and trying to pull in both directions at once.

Last edited:

JC Numminen

#goldrush
Feb 13, 2013
Westman
I voted yes, because I feel it should be yes, but it wont be.

If we miss this season, he HAS to do something, and I imaging management will make him do something. 3 straight years is unacceptable IMO, it would also be the what, 8th straight year for the team? I know its a different ownership, but still, some change is needed.

Starting with Byfuglien. Our most movable, impact player. The guy will clearly fit in perfectly somewhere. But having a guy make that much to play 3rd line? Its time to move on. Get a Top 6 player in return or a really good prospect (+).

I'm a huge believer in Chevys drafting. Our prospect pool looks very good when you look at the numbers some guys are putting up and the roles they could play on the team. But they are only prospects, un proven NHL players who may amount to nothing. As good as Petan looks, he may turn out to be a bust when he hits the big league.

I felt a move needed to be made at the deadline. I'm sure there was a player that could impact our playoff chances out there that could be had for a 2nd to a 5th round pick. I know that goes against the "plan", but you need to take risks for reward.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
I wonder if its a coincidence that we seem to be good at drafting and we kept on almost all the amateur scouts from ATL? We've been mediocre to failing everywhere else, with a rookie AHL coach, rookie AHL GM, and rookie assistant GM from the AHL.

Its kind of hilarious that were debating whether Chevy should be given 5 years or 7 years of free passes, while TNSE fired the previous GM and coach, who had been on the job for a year.

But when you buy the company you always get to put your own people in place. That was their right.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Oh, don't get me wrong, they are perfectly within their rights to hire anyone they want, including Maggie the Monkey from TSN. That's not really the issue.

No, the issue was that True North had a long term vision on how they wanted their team built and auditioned GM candidates to full fill their vision. They then picked Chevy because they believed he was the best fit. They then re-upped him early a few months back for another 5 years because they were pleased with the job he was doing. So it seems unlikely terminating said employee is on their to do list.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
They made the playoffs last year, we didn't. They will probably this year and we probably won't.

Granted our prospects are ranked in the 2nd 3rd of the league and Torontos in the bottom 3rd but that's just potential and could be wrong. I'm not mocking any Leafs fan right now :(

I was thinking more along the lines of the Clarkson deal they signed and a few others that are less than stellar. Not knocking the Leafs as a team, just more not a fan of the management approach.

As for making the playoffs, the series against the Bruins notwithstanding, the Leafs overachieved last year based largely on shooting percentage. We've not had that kind of luck. Subsequently we were shifted to the Western Conference. I'm pretty comfortable saying the Leafs would be in no danger of making the playoffs had they made that shift too.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Chevy has the trust and confidence of a board room in which sits Chipman, Thomson, Soubry and Lowden. He'll be here for a while.

boanst

May 25, 2013
A lot of bad would have to be done for Chevy to be in any trouble for at least a couple of years. 4 years no playoffs would be a long time no doubt, but it is pretty clear that Chipman is assessing Chevy more by drafting than he is by year by year standings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad