If we miss the playoffs this year does that make next year vital for Chevy?

White Out 403*

Simple poll. If we miss the playoffs this year which is more likely than not, does that make next season one that could get Chevy fired if he misses the mark again? That would put him at 3 years no playoffs and missing the playoffs a 4th time would give fans little faith that the team is actually improving and shelling out huge dollars for a stagnating product. Discuss.

bazaaa*

My guess is they know the fanbase doesn't want to go another year of no playoffs and won't be happy. They will make a big signing or big trade this offseason.

Also, when is ticket renewals 5 years? Or were some 3 years?
They will definitely do something big before ticket renewals if they haven't done anything by then.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I think Chevy's safe for at least 2 more seasons after this one. TNSE wants to build slow and steady - and that's exactly what they're getting.

White Out 403*

I think Chevy's safe for at least 2 more seasons after this one. TNSE wants to build slow and steady - and that's exactly what they're getting.

Slow and steady towards what exactly? Let's play devils advocate and assume we don't get in this year, which is very highly likely. Then lets take a bigger leap and say we don't get in next year. That's 4 years in a row with the team hovering outside the playoffs... shouldn't it be fair to expect some improvement? Some sign that the team is moving to the direction of being a cup team? Or do you simply say "building from within takes time?" If that's the case how long do you give Chevy to get us the playoffs then? 5 years? 6? 7 years seem a stretch but possible. I can't imagine a scenario where you think it's ok for us to be 7 years with no playoffs so I assume 8 is out of the picture. HOnest question no jokes or being a dick, I'm wondering if you even have a cut off?

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I'm not allowed to vote yet :cry:

I think TNSE would give him a 5th year.

But I also think the mood after a 4th missed playoff year would really depend on whether Chevy makes progress on the team's major problems - which I see as:
  • GT
  • filling holes left by UFAs
  • signing PoMo
  • what to do with Buff
  • reworking the 4th line
  • overall depth

... roughly in that order. I'm reasonably happy with our D, but a lot of other folks would slot that in there somewhere as well.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
Slow and steady towards what exactly? Let's play devils advocate and assume we don't get in this year, which is very highly likely. Then lets take a bigger leap and say we don't get in next year. That's 4 years in a row with the team hovering outside the playoffs... shouldn't it be fair to expect some improvement? Some sign that the team is moving to the direction of being a cup team? Or do you simply say "building from within takes time?" If that's the case how long do you give Chevy to get us the playoffs then? 5 years? 6? 7 years seem a stretch but possible. I can't imagine a scenario where you think it's ok for us to be 7 years with no playoffs so I assume 8 is out of the picture. HOnest question no jokes or being a dick, I'm wondering if you even have a cut off?

I'm just saying what I think is likely, not the approach I'd take... I don't necessarily agree with the ultra-conservative tack that TNSE seems to favour, but the long-game, tight-lipped, build-for-the-future approach is what landed them an NHL franchise in the first place, so I just feel they're pretty comfortable trying to stick with what they perceive is a safe strategy here.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
It depends how he handles the goaltending situation in the off-season. If the Jets trade away Montoya, and keep Pavelec as their starter, then I will have lost faith in Chevy.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
The fans had every reason to call for Noels head as he was a bad coach, but Chevy? Now we are starting to sound silly.

Snot Rocket

HF anti-tank squad
Feb 3, 2013
Winnipeg
Silly is a distant memory...we passed silly ages ago. This place is bi-polar mood swing-ville (no offense intended to anyone coping with that illness).

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
To answer the question yes Chevy will be given a 5th year even if we haven't made the playoffs yet. IMO True North are willing to be slow and methodical building this franchise from the bottom up and that is why they upped Chevy with an extension when they didn't have to.

That being said I believe we will start seeing bigger changes this off season, especially if Chevy believes another prospect or 2 is ready to join the big club. I think it is likely Buff will be dealt prior to the draft for a young roster player, prospect and a 1st or 2nd rounder. I think it has become pretty clear this team will be build around the younger core, but it will take awhile.

Jimby

Reformed Optimist
Nov 5, 2013
Winnipeg
I think most fans including me are willing to be patient and like the job Chevy is doing. We all knew this was going to take time. Done right, the Jets could actually be the next Canadian team to win the Cup. ( I don't see any other team with the horses to do it) Done wrong we would be perennially out after the first round.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
As long as the team remains competitive and appears to always be in a playoff fight, I think Chevy will be safe. We would have to start having a record like Buffalo or Edmonton for a few seasons for TNSE to even look at replacing Chevy.

As long as Chevy's philosophy and plan for building a winning team is in line with Chipman's vision... Chevy is safe.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I do have faith in Chevy and the 'process', but things are moving a little too 'patiently' for my liking now. I understand that the right moves need to be there and you need a willing partner, but the Jets seem to wait an unreasonably long time evaluating and giving second, third, forth..... chances.

I think this also gives the impression to the team, that there is no urgency to play better or be traded. There is certainly an air of complacency that is handed down from above in this organization.

Having said that.... one more year I guess.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Silly is a distant memory...we passed silly ages ago. This place is bi-polar mood swing-ville (no offense intended to anyone coping with that illness).

Roller coaster is trending towards the bottom of the loop, that much is certain.

Chevy has two more years, easily. TNSE/Chevy stated draft and develop approach to things and since the team has moved here we have Scheifele and Trouba playing in the bigs. That's great but it's no evidence of the draft and develop approach at all, your first rounders should be making the team. The depth guys are yet to arrive from the Chevy era (Lowry, Kosmachuk, etc.). Based on that I'd say Chevy has maybe four years before his feet are held to the flame.

White Out 403*

Roller coaster is trending towards the bottom of the loop, that much is certain.

Chevy has two more years, easily. TNSE/Chevy stated draft and develop approach to things and since the team has moved here we have Scheifele and Trouba playing in the bigs. That's great but it's no evidence of the draft and develop approach at all, your first rounders should be making the team. The depth guys are yet to arrive from the Chevy era (Lowry, Kosmachuk, etc.). Based on that I'd say Chevy has maybe four years before his feet are held to the flame.

So you honestly think that after 6 years of no playoffs that the Jets will say to Chevy "ok lets try this ONE more season?"

I appreciate your patience but I think a lot of us are really falling in to the trap of being "happy just to have a team". In a cap world where you can win trades, sign free agents taking 5 years+ to get into the post season while not giving up on your young players or draft picks is ridiculous.

Last edited by a moderator:

truck

Jun 27, 2012
www.arcticicehockey.com
Year 4 might have been more crucial if not for is oddly timed extension, but I doubt he'd get canned in any scenario.

As is, nope. Might be crucial for the direction of the team.

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
No matter what ownership says, if the Jets are a 9th-10th place team for years 3 and 4 then the proverbial "5 year plan" will not be achieved. Teams rarely go from 9th to 1st in one year.

Frankly, any hockey exec out there could lead a team to 9th.

Jeti

Blue-Line Dekes
Jul 8, 2011
MTL
If he hasn't moved an older core piece (ex. Buff) in a major deal or acquired an upgrade in net (or both simultaneously) and the Jets miss the playoffs this year and next, I think he'll be gone. If he continued to draft well and makes one or two of the big moves I mentioned, I think he'll get a 5th or 6th season.

The reason I'd hesitate to fire him is there's not a ton of good gms without a job. It's not like the coaching market.

Blue Shakehead

because lol Jets
Mar 18, 2011
www.becauseloljets.com
I wonder if its a coincidence that we seem to be good at drafting and we kept on almost all the amateur scouts from ATL? We've been mediocre to failing everywhere else, with a rookie AHL coach, rookie AHL GM, and rookie assistant GM from the AHL.

Its kind of hilarious that were debating whether Chevy should be given 5 years or 7 years of free passes, while TNSE fired the previous GM and coach, who had been on the job for a year.

GoldenJet89

Feb 4, 2012
My take

Next year is not vital to Chevy's contract, he will survive longer regardless

Next year MIGHT be vital to fan support... Not saying we have to make the playoffs necessarily, but it would help. At the very least if we are on the outside looking in, the org will to show they are willing to shake things up/make a big move to try and improve this team.

We have a decent core... locked up... a few good young players... and cap room to spend.. it should not take half a decade to re-tool, or build up this group enough JUST to make the playoffs.. If that's what ends up happening we would've been better blowing it up at the start

Guerzy

I'm a fricken baby
Jan 16, 2005
Year 4 might have been more crucial if not for is oddly timed extension, but I doubt he'd get canned in any scenario.

As is, nope. Might be crucial for the direction of the team.

Agree. With that extension, he's got quite a bit of time here to right the ship, I think. Really hoping we see some roster changes this offseason, I think it may be finally time for the stars to align on that hope. We'll see, though. At this point I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see more of the same, status-quo, slow moving approach, unfortunately.

cheswick

Non-registered User
Mar 17, 2010
South Kildonan
There is no chance Chevy is fired in the off season. Absolutely none. He's building the team exactly how the ownership group has wanted him to. His drafting has been very strong. Speaking a week or so after hte Noel firing Chipman was still remorseful about it. Chevy isn't close to getting fired, nor should he be

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad