If $ wasn't an issue: The right length for the regular season

Dontdive

Aug 25, 2012
British Columbia
Okay we all know the reason the regular season are as long as they are is the almighty dollar. The owners would make teams play 365 days a year if they could get away with it and make even more.

So of course that's why the regular season may (will?) never be shortened, even though most would agree it's too long as it is - at the very least it pushes the playoffs too far into the warmer weather months - ice hockey is supposed to be a winter game.

But, if money were not an issue, if the owners and players could somehow make the same or even more money with a shorter schedule, what would be the right length?

I think most agree you'd want your favorite team to play every other team in the league at least once - that's 29 games. But then you only play them once and may never see them in your building, plus it's harder to build up rivalries against any team you only play once a year.

If you get each team home and away, that's 58 games right there. But then you only play each team twice. 58 is still a lot of games, though!

Etc, etc - in other words, there's a lot of factors to consider here. What length would you come up with, and why?

Sureves

Sep 29, 2008
Ottawa
48 games - but this would require the removal of the loser point such that each game, regardless of outcome, resulted in the same amount of points being won.

Claudi27

Mar 28, 2008
Barcelona
48 games season was excepcionally entertaining for me, watched almost every game and it always looked like there was something in play.

I would be ecstatic if a shorter schedule was announced, less injuries, more packed crowds, more ambience, more intensity, and seasons less likely decided by a team's hot streak in spring maybe?

johan f

Jun 23, 2008
Sweden
70 games sked, starting in october as now, earlier playoffs, stanley cup finals ends in may (and more players eligble for WC)..... And with a shorter season more suitable with a World Cup in early september every second year.

LannysStach

Thou shall
Dec 13, 2004
NYC & Toronto
I agree with you, OP, in both concept and number. The season's WAY too long. 58 games — playing each team twice, once at home, once on the road, sounds about right. It shouldn't be shorter than playing each team once in both barns.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
My roommate had an interesting idea when we were taking about this the other day. Make it similar to nfl. Every team plays Monday, Thursday and Saturday. Games would be more important and thusly, more excitement, build up, etc.

BudMovin*

I'd like less games, so each game matters a little more. That 48 game season was awesome. Maybe make 1 more round in the playoffs. Obviously the league will never decrease the number of games, as it would result in a loss of revenue (yea OP pointed that out).

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Probably about 70 games. 48 games is far too short, and I think it takes away from the need for consistency over a long season. I really don't think 82 games is that bad, though. Maybe just a bit shorter.

JFHockey

Nov 8, 2014
Calgary
~40 games per year. I think the less the better, every game becomes meaningful, players would be fresher and better suited to give it their all every game. I really admire the NFL schedule, because it makes EVERY home game a big event and worth getting excited about.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I dont think you need to have a Home and Home with every team in the league personally.

Expand the league to 32 teams, with 2 teams being added to the West. Then East teams play West teams once year, with the home team rotating on a year to year basis.

You play teams from same conference/Different division 3 times for 24 games. Then you play teams in your division 6 times for 42 games.

42 + 24 + 16 = 82 games.

I'm a big fan of the 82 games number. Think its the right amount. But I think a lot more weight should be given to the divisional games. Especially with the new playoff format. It makes it very possible to create some great rivalries if each team plays each other 6 times in the regular season, plus then some heated playoff series to crown the division champion.

Xamar*

Wasn't Alfredsson saying that most NHL players would actually prefer a shorter season?, anyways the only thing i find ridiculous is when I see the SCF playing in June cuz at that point your just begging for it to be over. So a slightly shorter season with the SCF ending around the beginning of May would be ideal.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Around 60 games. It's way too long as is and I find myself not being able to sit through a meaningless December game more and more often. Booooring.

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
I personally like to watch as much hockey as possible. But I agree. Some of the games seems like they don't matter.

Maybe 48 game season? That sounds like a nice amount to me.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I like to watch a lot of hockey so 164 games. :sarcasm:

We should also implement a new 4 point system where no matter the final score each team gets two points.

Will certainly make it more entertaining watching 164 games. :sarcasm:

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
82 games, if it isn't broken, why fix it? I've never heard of a player saying the regular season is too long, and if they do think that, too bad, it's their job, they get paid to play hockey.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
As many as you can fit in while giving players adequate rest. 82 works fine. I enjoy watching hockey games, and I don't really care about how much each regular season hockey game matters.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
82's fine, I wish they condensed the season more though. No more week long breaks or anything. Just balls to the wall play every other day throw in a few back to backs and a few 2 days off.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
Expand to 32 teams.
East v West once a year = 16
Intra conference h/h = 16
Division 2*h/h = 28

Total of 60 games.

Top 4 from each division go to playoffs. First 2 rounds in your own division.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad