Speculation: If This The Year We Retire Daniel Alfredsson's Number 11 Alongside Finnigan's 8?

Big Papi

Who's Mel Bridgeman?
Jul 10, 2009
Quebec
www.instagram.com
I consider all of those guys to be roughly in Alfie's range of HHOF worthiness.

If you think some of the above guys might not get in at all, then IMO there are questions about Alfie's chances as well.

Agreed with your comparison players, though were any in the top 10 of their best decade like I think Alfie was?

Sad thing is if you look at the fact that Sundin got in on the first ballot, then you're like "Alfie must go in first ballot" right?

The Toronto Factor...

I wish there was more transparency with the hhof, or those with the power to elect wrote about their decisions as much as they do in baseball.

I look at the hhof like the rock and roll hof, alot of my favorite bands will never get in (IE 'indie' bands like NOFX,Ryan Adams, etc) and it doesn't bother me, I still love NOFX. I've complained before, but the hhof in Toronto is underwhelming to visit (compared to the baseball hhof) move it to kingston, it'll be closer to more NHL markets in driving distance....I can rant on and on lol

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
Because they played significant time in an easy era to score in.

When they're era adjusted, Andreychuk is nowhere near Alfredsson offensively. Alfredsson destroys him in points and PPG. Andreychuk's goalscoring rate is slightly ahead, but not particularly impressive compared to Alfredsson considering the fact that Andreychuk had no other use on the ice except to score goals. Meanwhile, Alfredsson did everything on the ice except play goalie.

You might think that the old school guys are easily fooled by the high scoring 1980's, but they were also around back then to watch Andreychuk in his prime. He was a 1-dimensional, cherry picker who scored goals when it was easy to score while getting lots of ice time on terrible teams. Maybe some of them ask themselves if they could've won if he was their best or 2nd best forward.

Andreychuk finished Top-10 in G (2), Pts (1), PPG a total of 3 times.
Never finished Top-10 for a Trophy. Never finished on a AS Team.

Alfredsson finished Top-10 in G (3), Pts (3), PPG (3) a total of 9 times.
Won the Calder, Clancy and Messier. 2nd AS Team. Alfredsson destroyed both Andreychuk and Mogilny in Trophy voting throughout their careers.

Andreychuk was never anywhere near the offensive or defensive player that Alfredsson was, not even close. Andreychuk actually adjusts to 11 points fewer than Alfredsson in 400 more career games.

Mogilny is at least the same class of offensive player.

Mogilny has the two big goalscoring seasons, but his production dropped off otherwise due to injury and inconsistency. He doesn't have nearly as many productive seasons as Alfredsson and Alfie was much better defensively too. Mogilny just doesn't have a high enough peak to contend with Alfredsson's consistency or all round game.

Re: Mogilny's PPG... his career effectively ended at 34yo and he played 5 years before the DPE ever started. His unadjusted PPG is 1.04 at 990 games (38% of those games pre-dead puck). Alfredsson rolled back to 1002 games is at 0.99 PPG (100% of those games played after the start of the DPE). Era-adjusted, it's 1.09 Alfie to Mogilny's 1.06.

They had fewer points combined in their Stanley Cup winning postseasons than Alfredsson posted in his SCF's season.

I think that the voters have adjusted quite well to the bigger league / less chance at a Cup (Sundin, Oates, Housley, etc). The Cup is a nice cap to your career, but it's not the be all and end all.

This should also be where we point out that neither of Andreychuk or Mogilny produced as well as Alfredsson did in the playoffs... which really sucks because 1/3 of Mogilny's and well over 1/2 of Andreychuk's playoff games occurred between 1980-1995. They should have posted video game totals, not less than a player whose career started at the beginning of the DPE.

I think it's quite the opposite with those two players, there's a vocal crowd who believes that they should never get in. Andreychuk has some backers, I don't think Mogilny has any.

Dude, you got so wrapped up into splitting my post into pieces to debate the tiny morsels, and ignored the post as a complete thought... missed the entire point of my post, which is that HHOF voters can't be relied upon to use the most valid metrics, nor can they be relied upon to interpret them properly, to evaluate guys.

Knave

Mar 6, 2007
Ottawa
They should take into account the fact that Alfredsson elevated the games of others.

Sweden in 2006 comes to mind when Alfredsson. He lead Sweden in scoring - beating out Sundin. His linemates were Axelsson and Pahlsson IIRC.

Axelsson and Pahlsson with the help of Alfie outscored:

Zetterberg, both Sedins, Lidstrom among others.

Fandlauer

Apr 23, 2013
Ottawa unless it becomes a disaster
I don't think Alfie makes it into the HOF, I just don't think he was quite the caliber of player required to make it.

He did mean a lot to this franchise though. I'd retire his number for the opening of the new stadium. Seems like a good idea.

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
Dude, you got so wrapped up into splitting my post into pieces to debate the tiny morsels, and ignored the post as a complete thought... missed the entire point of my post, which is that HHOF voters can't be relied upon to use the most valid metrics, nor can they be relied upon to interpret them properly, to evaluate guys.

Fair enough, they can be swayed by stupid things. Though for now, they've not been swayed by the least impressive 600 goalscorer in NHL history. That's not all negative for Alfredsson, because they've shown a preference for franchise players and they get wrapped up in narratives about players. That's how a journeyman like Recchi gets overlooked for a few years.

i don't think the caliber required to make it into the HHOF is that high that Alfie can't get in.

It isn't. He's going to get in... just like about 15 other guys have over the past 15 years. They induct somebody similar every year.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Nobody will wear the number 11 on the Sens anymore out of respect for the best player the franchise has ever seen, no matter if you retire or not.
So you might as well retire it and collect all the revenue that comes with it

Babych Moustache

Don'tBashThe'Stache
Jul 4, 2008
Ottawa
Nobody will wear the number 11 on the Sens anymore out of respect for the best player the franchise has ever seen, no matter if you retire or not.
So you might as well retire it and collect all the revenue that comes with it

It would take some serious ballsacky stones to request #11...

salomonster

Oct 7, 2006
Double dot
Retire Big Rig as well.

He will likely be the longest serving Senator for generations if not for ever in this day and age it is highly unlikely that anyone will ever surpass this number of played games.

Do it and all the above when they more to Lebreton.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad