If they shrink goalie equipment, how many points will win Art Ross?

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
I dont think it would be alot higher than Kane this season because Kane`s season was unreal but i think we will see alot more players score 80+. i think around 115.

lomiller1

Jan 13, 2015
Personally I don't think this will have a big effect on scoring.
Agreed. The issue is so far beyond what can be resolved with minor tweaking to goaltending equipment that any changes will have no noticeable impact on sv% or scoring. Unless someone has a huge year like Kane did this year, mid-upper 80's will win the scoring title.

Drake744

#manrocket
Feb 12, 2010
Nashville
A player is going to have a great season regardless. I could see smaller equipment maybe impacting a point total for an elite player somewhere around 5 to 7 points (maybe 10 in certain situations) but I don't think it would be a huge jump. I doubt players start making 100 points look like nothing.

Moops

Jan 22, 2015
Personally I don't think this will have a big effect on scoring. So I'll say around 90 - 105 points.

I agree...usually, there changes are only extremely marginal. It's not like equipment would go from huge to tiny; it would go from huge to marginally not quite as huge.

TrillMike

Feb 21, 2012
Dallas, TX
The most drastic way to increase scoring that doesn't involve the size of pads/nets is to decrease the amount of shot blocking. It's completely out of hand these days.

FissionFire

Dec 22, 2006
Las Vegas, NV
www.redwingscentral.com
Unless they are making equipment back like the 80s and imposing limitations on how large a person can be as a goalie as well as outlawing the butterfly nothing will tangibly change. There have been too many changes to the fundamentals of the position to ever have it go back to the high scoring ways of before. Goalies aren't sub-6ft anymore and 180lbs soaking wet. They don't stay on their feet in a standup style. When you have highly athletic 6'5" athletes playing a highly tuned butterfly no matter how much you shrink the equipment there just isn't much room anymore to score. Toss in the highly developed team defensive systems and the willingness and ability of players to block shots now and you will see a scoring struggle for the foreseeable future until something fundamental changes.

Group Chat Legend*

The most drastic way to increase scoring that doesn't involve the size of pads/nets is to decrease the amount of shot blocking. It's completely out of hand these days.

And how exactly do you propose to do that?

"Hey Burns, I know youre in game 7 of the cup finals and its tied. Letang is about to take a shot BUT you cant block it. Better hope your goalie makes the save"

Like what?

People need to get over the 'lack' of scoring. In fact, it isnt a lack of scoring, it is normal and the 'abundance' of scoring that most claim to be familir with, was the least defensively capable time period in hockey.

If anything is done, shrink pads a little. Other than that scoring is not a problem. Soccer games average 1-2 goals a game, and can end in 0-0 ties often. Yet its the most popular sport, so the notion of 'casual fans dont like defense' is just flat out wrong.

Tweaky

Solid #2
Sponsor
Apr 5, 2009
Singapore/Thailand
With the proposed shrunk and shaped pads, I could see a small increase in scoring across the board, but I doubt anyone cracks 110pts. might have a few pushing that 100pt barrier though.

TeamRenzo

Jul 20, 2009
And how exactly do you propose to do that?

"Hey Burns, I know youre in game 7 of the cup finals and its tied. Letang is about to take a shot BUT you cant block it. Better hope your goalie makes the save"

Like what?

People need to get over the 'lack' of scoring. In fact, it isnt a lack of scoring, it is normal and the 'abundance' of scoring that most claim to be familir with, was the least defensively capable time period in hockey.

If anything is done, shrink pads a little. Other than that scoring is not a problem. Soccer games average 1-2 goals a game, and can end in 0-0 ties often. Yet its the most popular sport, so the notion of 'casual fans dont like defense' is just flat out wrong.

LOL at the bolded part.

Fans of hockey should be looking at scoring chances, not just goals. If you looks at some of the clips from the 80's some goalies were embarrassingly bad.

Personally, I love seeing great saves.

Banic

Jun 23, 2010
Toronto

I really don't understand why people constantly go to soccer as an example - it's a different sport with a different history, with different rules.

Hockey has a history of higher scoring, it's faster paced, and many fans have grown accustomed too higher totals. If somehow basketball got down to 10 to 20 point games fans would be losing their minds. The soccer analogy would look ridiculous there. Just because 1 sport is popular with less scoring doesn't mean it's good for all sports.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto

Don't kid yourself, soccer is popular because of easy access.

Do you have feet - Yes
Do you have a ball/rock/round thing - yes.

Welcome to soccer.

BTW, I do love soccer, I am at most TFC games.

Group Chat Legend*

I really don't understand why people constantly go to soccer as an example - it's a different sport with a different history, with different rules.

Hockey has a history of higher scoring, it's faster paced, and many fans have grown accustomed too higher totals. If somehow basketball got down to 10 to 20 point games fans would be losing their minds. The soccer analogy would look ridiculous there. Just because 1 sport is popular with less scoring doesn't mean it's good for all sports.

Well guess what? It wont be changing any time soon because all the youth up to about age 6-8 are being taught defensive systems and placement on the ice, not how to score tons of goals.

People need to stop trying to 'fix' scoring and focus on what the sport is becoming. Sorry old timers, 8-7 games and players scoring 150 points are over.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
1) Stop villainizing goalies for being good

2) Accept the fact that the size of some of their equipment - especially those shoulder protectors and the jersey itself - is ridiculous. Look at Miller and Murray for example, they are both lean and tall but look huge in net.

3) Let hockey be hockey. I just don't understand the equation "more goals = better hockey".

4) Hopefully 100 + points, to answer OP, because I'm a contradictive ********.

Last edited:

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
1) Stop villainizing goalies for being good

2) Accept that their equipment - especially those shoulder protectors and the jersey itself - are ridiculous. Look at Miller and Murray for example, they are both lean and tall but look huge in net.

3) Let hockey be hockey. I just don't understand the equation "more goals = better hockey".

4) Hopefully 100 + points, to answer OP, because I'm a contradictive ********.

They are good but the equipment is way to big. You can easily make goalie equipment alot smaller and it would still be more than big enough for safety etc. No reason to help the goalies out by having tons of equipment not covering their bodies.

thepoeticgoblin

Dec 16, 2011
Sweden
They are good but the equipment is way to big. You can easily make goalie equipment alot smaller and it would still be more than big enough for safety etc. No reason to help the goalies out by having tons of equipment not covering their bodies.

Yeah, that was my point in 2) but I re-read it and it didn't really come off that way. Reduce the equipment somewhat, but be moderate. Don't want 7-6 games on the daily due to the goalies being useless personally.

Steamwhistle

Nov 10, 2014
Toronto
Like others have said, it'll be around the same. Goalie equipment isn't the problem.

Just call penalties and be more strict with restraining plays like hooking and holding and you'd see an increase in PPs and a change in pace of play. Start calling restraint calls more strictly and you'll see a huge change in the game, simple as that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad