If theres a Draft who will be the top Teams to have a shot at CROSBY

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChemiseBleuHonnete

Oct 28, 2002
Mr Bugg said:
In both scenarios, the Oilers have the highest chance of winning the 1st overall pick. And that's not homerism talking- they've never had a top 3 pick in the history of the draft.

Maybe but they didn't had to draft Gretzky.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Mr Bugg said:
I thought it would make sense if the NHL did a weighted lottery as such:

1st overall pick:

Edmonton (124/700)
Anaheim (84/700)
Calgary (84/700)
Minnesota (84/700)
Nashville (84/700)
Carolina (40/700)
Chicago (40/700)
New Jersey (40/700)
San Jose (40/700)
St. Louis (40/700)
Vancouver (40/700)

Calculated by giving each team 1 point per round they've historically never had a pick, then multiplied so that there are 700 balls in the tumbler.

Here's a slight variation, done by awarding points per round on a sliding scale (3-2-1), thus granting those who haven't had first overall picks more of a chance at getting it (out of 850 balls):

Edmonton (124/850)
Anaheim (84/850)
Calgary (84/850)
Minnesota (102/850)
Nashville (84/850)
Carolina (62/850)
Chicago (62/850)
New Jersey (62/850)
San Jose (62/850)
St. Louis (62/850)
Vancouver (62/850)

In both scenarios, the Oilers have the highest chance of winning the 1st overall pick. And that's not homerism talking- they've never had a top 3 pick in the history of the draft.

Let me guess..your an Oiler fan?

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
Let me guess..your an Oiler fan?

You got me. My love for the Oilers is just so great that I have the ability to manipulate the fundamentals of mathematics and NHL history so that the Oilers have a better chance at Crosby.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
FLYLine4LIFE said:
Beacause the THRASHERS arent a bad team anymore. They wont be at the bottom of the standings...let me also thank you for not inculding the rangers on your list..im glad you have faith in our team filled with AHL players and Jagr. :)

Rangers don't suck. Although how you manage to screw up with the money you have... If only we had that money. The Thrashers arent a bad team but have been recently. In my view the way the draft should go is the worst team in recent years. Which is the thrashers. Rangers or the Coyotes are average teams but for sure as hell aren't Pittsburgh.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Mr Bugg said:
You got me. My love for the Oilers is just so great that I have the ability to manipulate the fundamentals of mathematics and NHL history so that the Oilers have a better chance at Crosby.

No the fact that you came up with 2 ways to detirman who gets the 1st pick that the NHL would never use in a million years.

Kardi

Jul 28, 2004
Interwebs
every one complains that the leafs are a bunch of grandpa's and we are crappy and yet no one mentioned leafs possibly geting a shot at the first pick ;)

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
No the fact that you came up with 2 ways to detirman who gets the 1st pick that the NHL would never use in a million years.

I'm sorry... I didn't know this forum was the one in which the NHL head office reviewed proposals to change the draft system. I was trying to post in the Prospect Board where people could discuss my far-fetched idea. My mistake.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Kardi said:
every one complains that the leafs are a bunch of grandpa's and we are crappy and yet no one mentioned leafs possibly geting a shot at the first pick ;)

Thats cause you are. Why should the leafs get the #1. They are a playoff team (not a great one) but still. And yeah just cause the leafs were around billions of years ago doesn't mean they deserve the #1.

Go Flames Go*

Throw 30 balls in a that thing and hold a live draft so no one knows where they pick it all unfolds live.

Bettmans walks on stage.........."With the first pick going to the" *drum rolls* "...............New York Islanders. And so on oh the ratings this would create.

leafaholix*

J17ster said:
Thats cause you are. Why should the leafs get the #1. They are a playoff team (not a great one) but still. And yeah just cause the leafs were around billions of years ago doesn't mean they deserve the #1.
Why should a team like Pittsburgh or Washington get the 1st pick?

Because they're bad on purpose?

Sorry, but you can't reward the ultimate prize to organizations that voluntarely suck.

I'd prefer Sidney to either stay in Canada where he's appreciated by more than a couple hundred hockey fans... or go to a team like New York or Chicago, where there's a history of hockey and tradition.

Sidney Crosby in a Nashville, Anaheim, Carolina, etc... jersey looks WRONG.

J17 Vs Proclamation

Oct 29, 2004
Reading.
Leafaholix said:

Sorry, but you can't reward the ultimate prize to organizations that voluntarely suck.

Washington were rebuilding. Had few good players. Can't help but suck and kinda the same with Pittsburgh. How is it fair that a playoff team gets the #1 pick, gets better while a crappy team gets a low pick. Being bad on purpose doesn't mean you get #1. No team last year was voluntarely sucking. And the #1 pick isn't the ultimate prize dude. The ultimate prize would be win the cup etc.

leafaholix*

J17ster said:
Washington were rebuilding. Had few good players. Can't help but suck and kinda the same with Pittsburgh. How is it fair that a playoff team gets the #1 pick, gets better while a crappy team gets a low pick. Being bad on purpose doesn't mean you get #1. No team last year was voluntarely sucking. And the #1 pick isn't the ultimate prize dude. The ultimate prize would be win the cup etc.
The ultimate prize in 2004/05 is Sidney Crosby, especially since the season's likely going to be cancelled.

leafaholix*

J17ster said:
The ultimate prize for some teams is to stay alive.
And some of those teams that are fighting to stay alive don't deserve Sidney Crosby.

Piss poor managing of players and money has led them to ****... and if it's gone on for so long, I don't see why they deserve a place in the NHL.

Traitor8

Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
If Sidney Crosby is a UFA , favorites won't be the Wild..it will go in any order like this:

Montreal Canadiens (His Favorite team,big city)
Toronto Maple Leafs(Big Hockey Canadian City...but he likes the Habs so....?)
Detroit Red Wings(big city)
NY Rangers(big city)
Edmonton (Follow in Gretzky's path???)
Pittsburgh (attracted by Lemieux??)
Phoenix( attracted by Gretzky??)

Roger's Pancreas*

Leafaholix said:

I'd prefer Sidney to either stay in Canada where he's appreciated by more than a couple hundred hockey fans... or go to a team like New York or Chicago, where there's a history of hockey and tradition.

Sidney Crosby in a Nashville, Anaheim, Carolina, etc... jersey looks WRONG.
Screw that, I'm not exactly a fan of these expansion franchises. The first thing I think about Florida is warm sunny beaches, and two hockey franchises!? what the hell. I hope Pittsburgh sticks it out, gets Crosby to aid the slipping franchise. I also hope that Nashville,Florida, and Atlanta move to other places in North America that want it more.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Komisarek8 said:
If Sidney Crosby is a UFA , favorites won't be the Wild..it will go in any order like this:

NY Rangers(big city)
Phoenix( attracted by Gretzky??)

LA(went to prospect camp there)

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Lots of wishful thinking here disguised as 'analysis.' None of us have a clue, but if any speculation makes sense, the most likely scenerio is using last years standings and the last system used, a lottery weighted in exactly the same way. Any other system imposed would be chosen arbitrarily and subject to charges of favortism of one group or another. Hell, the Detroits and Colorados of the world, with their hugely bloated salaries would likely even under a Cap have those bloated salaries grandfathered in for a number of years, why the hell would it be 'fairer' for one of them to have an equal, or any, chance at Crosby, Brule, or a top pick to add to that stable that they already have? How does that at all address competitive balance?

And the present system if used will have I would guess checks built in. If, for instance, Washington somehow beats the system again and has that less than ten percent chance come up again, who cares? To speculate further, if that Washington lottery win happens again, likely within four or five years they would have to shed either Crosby or AO to get under whatever cap comes in anyways, as whatever rookie spending cap is imposed ends for them.

But the greed of the bigger market bloated salary team's fans in jury-rigging the system in their fantasies here to add Crosby to teams that have huge payrolls already is rather annoying to read.

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
I think it would be better if Crosby went to a big hockey market where people care about the game.

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Komisarek8 said:

NY Rangers(big city)
Phoenix( attracted by Gretzky?
?)

Well, those reasons suck.

Onion Boy

Jan 29, 2004
Brooklyn, NY
Mr Bugg said:

But that's exactly what you did, LOL. You set up an unusual and selective set of parameters that favor particular teams that under more conventional methods would not have the odds in their favor (nor should they).

xander

Nov 4, 2003
Section A Lynah Rink
Visit site
J17ster said:
Rangers don't suck. Although how you manage to screw up with the money you have... If only we had that money. The Thrashers arent a bad team but have been recently. In my view the way the draft should go is the worst team in recent years. Which is the thrashers. Rangers or the Coyotes are average teams but for sure as hell aren't Pittsburgh.

The rangers don't suck? Can you tell me exactly what they've done to improve themselves since finishing as the 6th worst team in the league last year? Micheal Nylander? Give me a break.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Why would he go to Toronto if the Habs are his favorite team? There are caps on entry level salary so he'd end up getting paid the same wherever he goes, and it's not like Montreal doesn't have money to spend. They just spend it more responsibly than other clubs.

leafaholix*

waffledave said:
Why would he go to Toronto if the Habs are his favorite team? There are caps on entry level salary so he'd end up getting paid the same wherever he goes, and it's not like Montreal doesn't have money to spend. They just spend it more responsibly than other clubs.
I don't think he'll end up in either Toronto or Montreal because he probably hates the Leafs... and he won't want to start his career playing in a hockey hotbed like Montreal... the reason I listed for Montreal also applies to Toronto.

Personally, I'd LOVE to see Crosby play in Montreal as long as it meant Brule and Johnson sign with the Leafs... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad