NHL IF there is a 2021 season

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Several outlets in Canada are suggesting the season would start with 4 division bubbles that would be less restrictive than the playoffs and the divisions would look like this. If possible the bubbles would rotate so players will have some time at home.

upload_2020-10-25_14-21-23.png

In July, to get a flat cap and for both sides to get a collective bargaining extension, the players agreed to defer 10 percent of their 2020-21 salaries and put another 20 percent (of the remaining 90 percent) into escrow. That means they’re expecting to play for 72 percent of their salaries. A union source said the players expect the owners to adhere to the terms of the CBA no matter how many games are played next season and whether there are fans or not.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
On one hand, that's probably a better division for us than the Atlantic is going into next year. No Tampa or Toronto to deal with. Washington and Pittsburgh will be annoying, though no more Holtby means we might actually beat Washington for once.

On the other, the lack of traditional rivalries will be different. But it wasn't going to feel like a real season either way.

On the third hand, if it's a bubble again can we count on Tuukka to be there?

Spirit Crusher

Oct 24, 2020
On one hand, that's probably a better division for us than the Atlantic is going into next year. No Tampa or Toronto to deal with. Washington and Pittsburgh will be annoying, though no more Holtby means we might actually beat Washington for once.

On the other, the lack of traditional rivalries will be different. But it wasn't going to feel like a real season either way.

Yes. Tuukka will be there.

Anyone doubting Rask at this stage either doesn't understand the need to be with family when an emergency occurs or is straight up trolling at this point, IMO

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO

If they are going to rotate weeks at home like the OP says then Rask will be there....if it's a full on bubble then he still likely will be there, but is a risk to leave - just like any other Bruin with a family is a risk to leave as well

Reactions: TD Charlie

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I've thought something like this was inevitable, particularly after observing how reluctant Canada and Toronto were to allow the Blue Jays to play in their home field.

It's not a bad way to split the 24 American teams. Colorado, Dallas, and Minnesota are the natural replacements for CGY, EDM, and VAN in the Pacific, since they're the farthest West. CHI-STL is a decent rivalry that gets maintained in the Central, and FLA-TBL, PHI-PIT and NYR-NYI-NJD gets maintained as well. Detroit ironically returns to the Central after everyone seemed to think they should go back there over the last few years for some reason. (Vegas expansion? I forget.)

NYR/BOS may not exactly be a modern rivalry and may piggyback off of baseball a bit, but I always notice that Rangers fans are among the most invasive species at TD Garden.

As far as game play and how we'd compare to the normal Atlantic, I think we'll miss some of the old teams - namely Buffalo and Detroit. And the Rangers? That's a big ? with their fancy new #1 pick, but it could be a disaster. Washington and Pittsburgh always annoy the hell out of me when we play them, so I'm not looking forward to that. And I'm not afraid of Toronto - but getting Tampa out of the division for a year sure would be nice.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Those American divisions look almost geographically sensible as well- probably as close as you can get given how the teams are distributed.

Reactions: Aussie Bruin

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
The division alignments make sense.

How would the bubble work? Would they set-up say the 8 Atl/Met. teams in a bubble in for example Buffalo for 2 weeks, then move those same teams to a bubble in Philadelphia for 2-weeks, etc. Even if they did week-to-week your gone from your home city for 7 of 8 weeks, 14 out of 16 if it was 2-week bubbles. And let's face it, a bubble set-up where these guys are basically contained to a hotel and some amenities in middle of the winter, one bubble will be pretty much the same as another bubble after they get through a couple bubbles.

Will the players go for that? I'm not sure.

I think a more likely scenario is you'll see teams play only within their division, limiting travel and when on the road, going into a city and playing 2-3 games against the same team over a 5-7 day stretch. Private charters, basically airport to hotel to arena and back again. Have access to rapid testing. No fans in the building still. At least that way guys aren't separated from their families for any lengthy duration.

Reactions: bbfan419

HumBucker

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 7, 2005
Toronto

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I don’t care how it looks, it’s NHL hockey.

i didn’t expect them to pull off the 2020 bubble tournament as well as they did. Not even close. The hockey wasn’t always the best and the product wasn’t perfect. Just close enough.

however they feel is best to SAFELY conduct a season in the fairest manner possible is ok with me. I think they’ve earned that trust at this point...which is something i never expected to say

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Remember Linus in the pumpkin patch? It's not if there's a season, but when there's a season. ;)

I like the B's chances, mainly because they aren't in division with Tampa. Holtby wasn't in peak form at the end, and the B's finally solved him, even if only once. So even if he was still in Washington, I'd have hope.

But what does worry me is Laviolette, who has a fantastic track record in his first years with a club; and he's got a lot to work with in Washington. Pittsburgh has a changing of the guard at goalie, and I think they'll miss Hornqvist's net-front presence. The Isles are pesky, and if Hart continues progressing, the Flyers could be a problem.

I like Tampa and St. Louis in the same division.

PatriceBergeronFan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 15, 2011
USA
Give props to the owners - they appear willing to take the losses that are sure to come.

It sucks for the players who only have a limited window to make money but they will still get 72% of salary.

Aside from a Vegas ownership quote which was shown on "Bruins Tonight" last week or the week prior. That owner framed it as $$ first, no fans - no hockey.

I hope the rest of the owners do have a different perspective.

Reactions: TD Charlie

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
One thought that kind of carries over from the bubble playoffs: in the 2021 season, backup goalies will probably have a larger role, especially if teams follow the rule of thumb that goalies don't play both games of a back-to-back. Just like there were a few anomalous B2Bs in the p layoffs, there will likely be a larger concentration of B2Bs in whatever form the 2021 season will take.

This could be a double-edged sword for the Bruins. Assuming all is fine at Rask's homefront (there have been no indications either way AFAIK), it's a good sign: Rask and Halak are a great 1A/1B pairing. Imagine if we'd had this format in 2015 or 6, when Gustavsson or Svedberg were clear #2 backups and we were riding on Rask's back for 65-70 games a season.

Of course, if there are still problems at home with Rask (and there's nothing inherently wrong with that - making millions of dollars doesn't make you immune to the slings and arrows of vagarious life problems), and we wind up with Halak and...uh....I guess Vladar? That is definitely a downgrade when you consider that you need your second goalie to play a lot of games.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
One thought that kind of carries over from the bubble playoffs: in the 2021 season, backup goalies will probably have a larger role, especially if teams follow the rule of thumb that goalies don't play both games of a back-to-back. Just like there were a few anomalous B2Bs in the p layoffs, there will likely be a larger concentration of B2Bs in whatever form the 2021 season will take.

This could be a double-edged sword for the Bruins. Assuming all is fine at Rask's homefront (there have been no indications either way AFAIK), it's a good sign: Rask and Halak are a great 1A/1B pairing. Imagine if we'd had this format in 2015 or 6, when Gustavsson or Svedberg were clear #2 backups and we were riding on Rask's back for 65-70 games a season.

Of course, if there are still problems at home with Rask (and there's nothing inherently wrong with that - making millions of dollars doesn't make you immune to the slings and arrows of vagarious life problems), and we wind up with Halak and...uh....I guess Vladar? That is definitely a downgrade when you consider that you need your second goalie to play a lot of games.

Sweeney also has to look ahead to 2021-22 and has to expose a goalie to Seattle :help:

stungun54

Apr 15, 2018
HFBoards since 2000
has it been confirmed these would indeed be Divisions or would they be Bubbles that the teams play in? think there may be a difference on how that could play out would
teams still stay in the NHL official divisions etc... but play inside these temporary bubble divisions. Seems either way would work but mixing up the divisions may open
up a can of worms when things return to normal someday hopefully!

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I wonder when they'll try to start training camp or even captains practices.

I need some sort of Bruins news.

I miss hockey.

Reactions: BMC and Fenway

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad