If the Thrashers never moved...

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna
I was just wondering to myself, I realize everything would be purely speculation but it is the summer after all. Would the Jets be as good today if they were still in Atlanta? Did most of their staff follow the team to Winnipeg from Atlanta, or did they re-hire. (I honestly don't know, I didn't follow the Thrashers at all)

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
I believe most of senior scouting/drafting guys were inherited from ATL

edit:
Dobson (Director, Pro Scouting), Hillier (Director, Amateur Scouting) and Bodganovich (Head European Scout) are the three senior positioned people under the Scouting Staff. All 3 were inherited from ATL

Last edited:

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I believe most of senior scouting/drafting guys were inherited from ATL

I believe some responsibilities may have been shifted around a bit. More scouts were added.

The big change was at the top. Chevy came in and implemented a very different philosophy. That may also point to the change in ownership. Don't know if we can blame the previous GM and scouts if they were being pressured to get quick results.

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

mcpw

WPG
Jan 13, 2015
I was just wondering to myself, I realize everything would be purely speculation but it is the summer after all. Would the Jets be as good today if they were still in Atlanta? Did most of their staff follow the team to Winnipeg from Atlanta, or did they re-hire. (I honestly don't know, I didn't follow the Thrashers at all)

per Eliteprospects:

Thrashers 2010-11
  • General Manager Rick Dudley
  • Asst. General Manager Larry Simmons
  • Dir. of Amateur Scouting Marcel Comeau
  • Scout Yevgeni Bogdanovich
  • Scout David Burstyn
  • Scout Pat Carmichael
  • Scout Fred Devereaux
  • Scout Bernd Freimüller
  • Scout Mark Hillier
  • Scout Fredrik Jax
  • Scout Tavis MacMillan
  • Scout Bob Owen
  • Scout John Perpich
  • Scout Jamie Pushor
  • Scout Grant Sonier
Jets 2011-12
  • General Manager Kevin Cheveldayoff
  • Asst. General Manager Craig Heisinger
  • Dir. of Amateur Scouting Marcel Comeau
  • Scout Jack Birch
  • Scout Yevgeni Bogdanovich
  • Scout Pat Carmichael
  • Scout Dean Fedorchuk
  • Scout Ed Friesen
  • Scout Mark Hillier
  • Scout Fredrik Jax
  • Scout Yanick Lemay
  • Scout Tavis MacMillan
  • Scout John Perpich
  • Scout Peter Ratchuk
  • Scout Scott Scoville
  • Scout Carter Sears
  • Scout Chris Snell
  • Scout Bruce Southern
  • Scout Keith Sullivan
Jets 2017-18
  • General Manager Kevin Cheveldayoff
  • Asst. General Manager Craig Heisinger
  • Asst. General Manager Larry Simmons
  • Scout Jack Birch
  • Scout Pat Carmichael
  • Scout Marcel Comeau
  • Scout Kjell Dahlin
  • Scout Max Giese
  • Scout Jari Grönstrand
  • Scout Vladimir Havluj, Jr.
  • Scout Yanick Lemay
  • Scout Bob Owen
  • Scout Peter Ratchuk
  • Scout Brian Renfrew
  • Scout Scott Robson
  • Scout Scott Scoville
  • Scout Chris Snell
  • Scout Bruce Southern
  • Scout Mark White[/code]
Lot of scouts followed the Jets to Winnipeg. Of the Thrashers crowd, Hillier was promoted to DoAS, former DoAS Comeau is listed as a scout now, Bogdanovich was promoted to DoEuropeanS, and two other scouts (Carmichael, Owen) still remain with the team.

(edit: JFC this forum software is awful at displaying lists)

Last edited:

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
It only works if you have a GM, ownership and a fanbase on the same page. Atlanta fans most likely would never care enough about hockey to buy in to a 5 year rebuild. The ownership most likely needed now solutions to get some fans into the seats. They never would have been able to buy the time and patience to execute it like Chevy and Chipman did.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
It only works if you have a GM, ownership and a fanbase on the same page. Atlanta fans most likely would never care enough about hockey to buy in to a 5 year rebuild. The ownership most likely needed now solutions to get some fans into the seats. They never would have been able to buy the time and patience to execute it like Chevy and Chipman did.

I'm sure that's what they perceived. As it was they were in a 12 year rebuild that failed to put enough fans into seats to pay the bills. Their brief success in '07 didn't have a solid base underneath so it didn't last.

AK87

Hall of Famer
Nov 8, 2012
Do as you wanna

This post makes a lot of sense, they were probably more worried about selling tickets than making a successful team. But in order to sell tickets you need a successful team...must've been a nightmare for the owner/GM.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
If the Atlanta Thrashers still existed, and they were under the same ownership, they would be bottom dwellers. ASG was horrible, and did not care that much about the hockey operations, so unless the Thrashers lucked out and drafted McDavid, they would not even be remotely close to where the Jets are.

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
As an expansion team, Atlanta was in a bad place from the beginning due to the NHL.

Atlanta's expansion draft into the NHL reminded me of Jets 1.0 and Ottawa Senators drafts that made it take many years to establish a strong foundation.

Despite losing to VGK in the playoffs, I am happy that the league changed the expansion rules so that the team would be competitive from the start.

Reactions: SimpleSimon

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
No, not with the Atlanta philosophy of throwing their young first-round draft picks straight into the NHL instead of letting them develop and slowly work their way into the NHL though I guess things kind of worked out for Bryan Little.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Little would likely still be there, they sign the unwanted free agents to this day, they may make a few playoff appearances, later on Buff would've likely signed with the Wild, Ladd might of signed for stupid money, Wheeler would've probably played on Pittsburgh, I don't know but those scenarios would likely happen. Oh, and Evander Kane gets a dumb contract from them and is there to this day. Oddly enough, I think Paul Maurice would get a temporary stint there. Bogosian gets traded in 2012. I think lots would be different. I think it makes Kovalchuk change his mind and sign that stupid contract that was offered to him before getting traded to NJ.

This is what I see them drafting throughout the years (in the first round anyway).

2011: Dougie Hamilton/Sean Couturier
2012: Nail Yakupov/Alex Galchenyuk
2013: Darnell Nurse/Seth Jones
2014: Nikolaj Ehlers/Michael Dal Colle
2015: Noah Hanifin/Timo Meier/Pavel Zacha
2016: Jesse Puljujarvi

But think half of them would leave.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
if you take a look at their drafting history the last seven or so years before they moved here you will see that they traded way more than half of their first round draft picks and made some very poor picks with the ones they kept.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
remember when the hockey world was criticizing wpg for letting go of Dudley? lol.
dude's doing what exactly for Les Canadiens?

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
They still would have selected similar players, but the Jets were a lot more patient, especially with Scheif, then ATL would ever have been.

Atlanta wouldn't of taken Scheifele. They were high on Couturier/Hamilton from what I last remember; Dudley even laughed at us appearently.

If we didn't exist even, Scheifele probably would've been drafted by either Buffalo (16), Chicago (18), or he might could've even fell to the second round for all we know. But that pick was a steal even at seven and also at the fact we didn't even have a second-round pick.

ATLbound

Aug 3, 2006
Ontario
remember when the hockey world was criticizing wpg for letting go of Dudley? lol.
dude's doing what exactly for Les Canadiens?

Can't speak on what he does behind the scenes there. But the Ladd, Wheeler, Buff trades he made where very impressive. The team we even have right now likely would not be as good if Dudley did not make some big moves the year before the move. With that ownership and Waddel not much hope. Even with a good GM, only so much you can do. Absolutly awful drafting, and trades by Waddel put the team behind years

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
If the Thrashers never moved . . . Leafs fans (and a bunch of others) would have one less thing to whine about.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
Atlanta wouldn't of taken Scheifele. They were high on Couturier/Hamilton from what I last remember; Dudley even laughed at us appearently.

If we didn't exist even, Scheifele probably would've been drafted by either Buffalo (16), Chicago (18), or he might could've even fell to the second round for all we know. But that pick was a steal even at seven and also at the fact we didn't even have a second-round pick.

Meh, same scouts.

It was also widely reported that Carolina (12) was visibly disappointed when the Jets took Scheif.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Whoever talked about philosophy nailed it. Atlanta was always trying to stay competitive and didn't feel like they could be patient and take the time to D and D. I think it would have been a lot of trading assets and picks for older players. Might have made the playoffs a bit more but would be an also ran in the post season IMO

Reactions: Tom ServoMST3K

Shazzam

Now 20% Chunkier
Oct 29, 2015
Great White North eh...
When I saw the title of this thread, I thought it might be about pondering an alternative history and where we would be today. Specifically, if the Thrasher stayed in Atlanta, would Winnipeg have gotten an NHL franchise? This is an interesting discussion. There were no other franchises that moved since then. I suppose it's remotely possible that we somehow ended up with Phoenix. Most likely we would have had to enter the league as a new franchise like the LV Knights. Not sure if that would have happened at all. It seems that we were ready to enter the NHL at precisely the right time.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
They probably couldn’t be as patient as chevy was. They would likely have had to make some moves to make the team better imo.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad