Speculation: If the Subban trade from Montreal to Edmonton occurred.

Captain Controversy

Apr 30, 2015
Alberta
So hockey fans..
After some time to relax about the hall trade and the subban trade. Are you glad the Oilers didn't trade Draisaitl + for subban?
Montreal fans, are you happy with Weber as the return? Would you have preferred Draisaitl + the 4th pick?
As an Oilers fan, Happy to keep Drai and trade Hall.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
The good thing about this World Cup of hockey is that it really highlights the skills of some great players that I don't get a chance to see everyday as a Kings fan. I had heard of Draisaitl and what a great player he is, but having now seen him in action, I would not do that trade if I were Edmonton. He is incredible.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
It wasn't Draisaitl + 4.

It was Draisaitl + 4 + Klefbom + at least one more significant piece.

Even that may have been off the table the moment CBJ selected PLD at 3.

BatVader

"nothing is true; everything is permitted"
May 16, 2015
Imperial Gotham
I read a story somewhere that said once Bergevin found out that Columbus was taking PLD at 3rd no matter what, he stopped all negotiations for moving up in the draft and focused on just moving Subban for equal D value.
Sad that all he cared about was the French player.
Puljujarvi would have been a really nice addition, but he's not French so.....

The 4OA+Draisaitl+Klefbom was an HF boards trade proposal being discussed, I don't know if that was the actual proposal.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
So hockey fans..
After some time to relax about the hall trade and the subban trade. Are you glad the Oilers didn't trade Draisaitl + for subban?
Montreal fans, are you happy with Weber as the return? Would you have preferred Draisaitl + the 4th pick?

As an Oiler fan, I'd still, very hesitantly, trade Draisaitl and Pulju for Subban (assuming the Hall trade never happened). But the original premise was Draisaitl + Klefbom + 4th OA + another significant piece, and that's just terrible.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I read a story somewhere that said once Bergevin found out that Columbus was taking PLD at 3rd no matter what, he stopped all negotiations for moving up in the draft and focused on just moving Subban for equal D value.
Sad that all he cared about was the French player.
Puljujarvi would have been a really nice addition, but he's not French so.....

To be fair, I think there's something about the buzz of the Canadiens that changes when they have a true Quebecois star. It's like all of a sudden the franchise has a certain polish and marquee. I understand why they are desperate to get someone like that in there.

Benedict Kovalchuk

Kovalchuk: A spy?
Jul 19, 2011
CASCADIA NOW
Given the market for high end defensemen, I really don't think Draisaitl + 4th is as outlandish as some are making it out to be. Perhaps a slight add from Montreal, but really not much more.

But as a hockey fan I could care less about who the Oilers did or did not trade for. Just focused on my own team.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
Depends. If the habs wanna win in the nest 3 years, easily Weber.
If they would have taken their time to be a stronger team when they are ready to contend, then obviously, Draistl (or Hall) and the 4OA.

I really doubt the proposal was Hall/Drai + 4OA + Klefbom. Friedman said the Oilers were not that serious and offering those 3 pieces would mean they were more than just being serious.
It was prob Hall (6M) + 4OA for Subban (9M) and not Draistl.
I would rather Weber than Hall and what you hope becomes a top 6 winger. The habs need to win a cup with Pacs and Price still around.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
As an Oiler fan, I'd still, very hesitantly, trade Draisaitl and Pulju for Subban (assuming the Hall trade never happened). But the original premise was Draisaitl + Klefbom + 4th OA + another significant piece, and that's just terrible.

Hard to imagines that's hundred percent what the asking price was seeing that he went for much less

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Depends. If the habs wanna win in the nest 3 years, easily Weber.
If they would have taken their time to be a stronger team when they are ready to contend, then obviously, Draistl (or Hall) and the 4OA.

I really doubt the proposal was Hall/Drai + 4OA + Klefbom. Friedman said the Oilers were not that serious and offering those 3 pieces would mean they were more than just being serious.
It was prob Hall (6M) + 4OA for Subban (9M) and not Draistl.
I would rather Weber than Hall and what you hope becomes a top 6 winger. The habs need to win a cup with Pacs and Price still around.

It was the asking price, not what Edmonton was offering.
I saw it here posted quite often at the time.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
Hard to imagines that's hundred percent what the asking price was seeing that he went for much less

To be honest, I'm not sure how accurate it is, but it was very commonly posted on here. If it is accurate, I'd assume that was what Montreal was asking for, and not what Edmonton offered.

Ducks in a row

Go Ducks Quack Quack
Dec 17, 2013
U.S.A.
Montreal wanted another very good defenseman coming back. Imagine if they traded Subban without getting such a defenseman back.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
So hockey fans..

So are you saying you would rather trade Hall for Larsson rather than Drai+ for Subban??

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016
It was the asking price, not what Edmonton was offering.
I saw it here posted quite often at the time.

well then it makes no sense. The asking price may have been crosby but that was obviously never gonna get offered by the pens.
The thread should be about what was a realistic offer that was actually offered. There were just 4 teams involved. The Preds (weber), the Nucks, the Avs and the Oilers.

Hard to guess but I would say the Avs offered Duchene + Ratanen/10 OA/Barrie, the Nucks offered Horvat/Virtanen + Tanev + 5OA, the Oilers Hall + 4OA + Yakupov/Nurse.
The question is, is Weber better than those packages? I would say he is except for the Avs offer if they included Barrie instead of the prospects.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
So are you saying you would rather trade Hall for Larsson rather than Drai for Subban??

Did you read the entire post? What do you think?

Because I think he still clearly means Draisaitl + and not just Draisaitl.

PuckG

Feb 26, 2015
well then it makes no sense. The asking price may have been crosby but that was obviously never gonna get offered by the pens.
The thread should be about what was a realistic offer that was actually offered. There were just 4 teams involved. The Preds (weber), the Nucks, the Avs and the Oilers.

Hard to guess but I would say the Avs offered Duchene + Ratanen/10 OA/Barrie, the Nucks offered Horvat/Virtanen + Tanev + 5OA, the Oilers Hall + 4OA + Yakupov/Nurse.
The question is, is Weber better than those packages? I would say he is except for the Avs offer if they included Barrie instead of the prospects.

http://edmontonjournal.com/sports/h...that-the-edmonton-oilers-passed-on-p-k-subban

Edit: Whether it makes sense to you or not, it's probably what happened.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
Montreal wanted another very good defenseman coming back. Imagine if they traded Subban without getting such a defenseman back.

They could've made it work by having 3 ~20 minute a game PMD heavy pairings.

Beaulieu Petry
Sergachev Markov
Emelin Pateryn

Get a 2nd pairing caliber two way/disciplined PMD type to rotate Sergachev/Emelin/Pateryn and it doesn't look that bad under the right system.

Legend123

Jul 3, 2016

Beaulieu Petry
Sergachev Markov
Emelin Pateryn

Get a 2nd pairing caliber two way/disciplined PMD type to rotate Sergachev/Emelin/Pateryn and it doesn't look that bad under the right system.

And that can be the major reason the habs collapse once again. It looks good and def has the potential but when your relying on far too many younger players and older players on the top 4 pairing with none reliable for the course of a full year, it could turn out bad.
What if Bealieu isnt ready for top pairing minutes. Petry isnt a #1D nor a #2 D. Sergechev, as good as he is, is just 18 years old and has only played one season in NA. Can he play top 4 minutes with no one to back him up? Can Markov be effective as a 38 year old, hes def not a top pairing D anymore. Way too many question marks for a team that wants to contend.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
If the Oilers were offerering Hall for Larsson it almost certainly would have been McDavid for Subban.

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Subban and Hall would have accounted for $14m of the cap for the foreseeable future.

Add in McDavid's next deal and that might have been over $25 million for three players on a team that has yet to see a playoff game.

They may not have the big name draw that you want from your top pair but Klefbom and Larsson for slightly more than $8m between the two of them long-term will likely pay dividends in the long run.

I'll take the defensive depth and the centre depth over the big ticket guys.

BIG GIFS

Apr 29, 2004

Beaulieu Petry
Sergachev Markov
Emelin Pateryn

If that trade would have happened it would have happened prior to the draft so we couldn't have known we would draft Sergachev. I also doubt we will rush a 18 years old defenseman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad