Speculation: If the speaking period doesn't start until Sunday...

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
How were Bobrovsky and Panarin already planning a Monday meeting with Florida on Saturday?

Just because the speaking period doesn't start until Monday doesn't mean Bobrovsky, Panarin,and the agent they share haven't already met and put together a plan on what they want to do. They put it out there to the media so Florida can prepare as such, because what's Florida/any team going to do, say they're busy and try to re-schedule? I bet this is common.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
tumblr_ozna6tmuPq1vg1enro1_400.gif

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
What do you think, players just show up out of the blue, or are on call waiting to arrange flights to get where they need to be? People have schedules, and for schedules to work, planning for flights and meetings must come first.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Panarin and Bob are free to do as they like, as long as they're the ones seemingly pushing for a Florida visit it's cool.

It would be funny to see a player just mess with the system though. "Ya I just wanted a trip to Disney, maybe we'll meet with the team, who knows. What's weird is the GM who kept calling, saying there were 10 million reasons to play in his city and that I'd want to stay 7 years. I said no talking contracts, but he said I'd really love Vancouver."

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Because its better to schedule ahead than show up unannounced and whoopsie, Tallon's on the other side of the country seeing someone else's reps.

They can't talk contract with Florida until Sunday. They can still talk.

ucanthanzalthetruth

#CatsAreCooked
Jul 13, 2013
Is it even tampering if Tallon texts their agent (they share the same one) and says tell them to fly in Monday I want a meeting?

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
Panarin and Bob are free to do as they like, as long as they're the ones seemingly pushing for a Florida visit it's cool.

It would be funny to see a player just mess with the system though. "Ya I just wanted a trip to Disney, maybe we'll meet with the team, who knows. What's weird is the GM who kept calling, saying there were 10 million reasons to play in his city and that I'd want to stay 7 years. I said no talking contracts, but he said I'd really love Vancouver."

That's pretty much what Kovalchuk did to the Kings before signing that massive deal w/ The Devils (kind of ironic, isn't it?)

Oh, and that deal that had to be nullified later. :laugh:

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
This doesn't make sense. I thought Panarin wanted to leave Columbus because it's a small market. Florida's arena is way the Fk out.

He's going to Rangers/Isles/Boston if they can fit him..can't see him go anywhere else..I mean, there's only a handful of teams that can afford him.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
This doesn't make sense. I thought Panarin wanted to leave Columbus because it's a small market. Florida's arena is way the Fk out.

He's going to Rangers/Isles/Boston if they can fit him..can't see him go anywhere else..I mean, there's only a handful of teams that can afford him.

He'd be about a half hour from Miami. He'll be alright.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Because its better to schedule ahead than show up unannounced and whoopsie, Tallon's on the other side of the country seeing someone else's reps.

They can't talk contract with Florida until Sunday. They can still talk.

Technically Florida can’t express any interest in him whatsoever until the tampering period starts, including scheduling a meeting to discuss a potential contract.

It obviously happens all the time by every team anyway, and no one really cares, but by the letter of the law it’s a violation.

Taylorst

Jun 26, 2018
I'm sure each team reaches out to the players agents and inquire or let them know the team is interested and if the player has interest then it's more or less a formality before hand.

Spartachat

Aug 2, 2016
Ottawa

I think he just thought Columbus was a boring city to live in. Miami has the beach and a better night life I guess.

Blitz

Let's Go B-U-F-F-A-L-O!!!
Dec 14, 2009
Ontario

Russian players generally want to play in either Miami or NYC or go home when they hit UFA it seems...

MintyFresh88

Oct 26, 2007
Ontario
How were Bobrovsky and Panarin already planning a Monday meeting with Florida on Saturday?

They have 1 week to communicate/interview...I assume a lot of teams have already started this process with agents across the league.

Also, the rule states you can only gauge interest...you can’t negotiate or discuss/offer contracts. I think people need to get over it and realize this is likely happening and has been happening for awhile. How else do you explain how signings are announced literally minutes after 12pm on July 1st?

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
They have 1 week to communicate/interview...I assume a lot of teams have already started this process with agents across the league.

Also, the rule states you can only gauge interest...you can’t negotiate or discuss/offer contracts. I think people need to get over it and realize this is likely happening and has been happening for awhile. How else do you explain how signings are announced literally minutes after 12pm on July 1st?
Well how they used to be before there was the courting period anyways . It was obvious it was a thing so they added the rule. I don't think the top fas scheduling meetings with all the gms is a big deal tho

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad