If the Sharks didn't choke in the 2019 playhoffs, Sens would have basically gotten Stutzle, Norris, and one of Eklund/Clarke (Most likely Clarke).

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
In the Erik Karlsson trade, there was a conditional pick that would have upgraded to a 2021 1st rounder had the Sharks made the Cup FInals in 2019. The Sharks had a comfortable 2-1 series lead against the Blues, but collapsed badly later on. Had the Sharks just made the Cup Finals, we could have seen this team by now:

Tkachuk-Stutzle-Batherson
Debrincat-Norris-Giroux
Eklund-Pinto-Joseph
Motte-Kastelic-Parker

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Hamonic
Holden-Brannstrom

or

Debrincat-Norris-Giroux
Motte-Pinto-Joseph
Parker-Kastelic-Watson

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Hamonic
Brannstrom-Clarke

Imagine getting a 2 top 6C and a future top 4 Dman at worst from a single trade, oh how I wish the Sharks didn't choke that away.

A core of
Debrincat-Norris-Giroux

Chabot-Zub
Sanderson-Clarke going foward would make us contenders for a long time.

Bjornar Moxnes

Stem Rødt og Felix Unger Sörum
Oct 16, 2016
Troms og Finnmark
No need for what-ifs. If we scored in game 7 we would maybe likely won the cup in 2017.

If there was no lockout 05, we would have 2 cups.

Plus your lineup doesn't account for cap. Zub 10000% would be gone. Likely Norris too with Pinto in his place.

How? The roster is the exact same, but Clarke is an ELC, if anything it'll give us more flexibility next season. If Clarke develops, we can pay to get rid of Zaitsev, and not have to trade for a RHD. If the scenario happened, we can litreally pay Debrincat, Zub, and Pinto an additional 500K each than what many are expecting to pay them, and also re-sign Motte to a decent raise, and still be under the cap.

1665826549909.png

Last edited:

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
I think about that too but there is a lot of what ifs. What if the sharks held off on their regression by year . We only get Norris and our rebuild does not look as good

Reactions: DrEasy

SAK11

Oct 4, 2011
It wasn’t really a choke by the Sharks being up only 2-1. The Blues wore teams down that entire playoffs. By the end of that series it was clear who the better team was, and the Sharks were without Karlsson, Hertl and Pavelski as the series came to an end.

The Sharks were also very close to being eliminated in round 1 with that crazy game 7 against Vegas.

Would’ve been awesome to get that extra pick but in the end the better team won that series and we got plenty in that trade.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
The more interesting condition was placed on the 2020 pick. It was if San Jose didn't make the playoffs in 2018-19, then it would've been a 2019 pick. Without that condition, Ottawa would've received the 29th overall pick in 2019 instead of the 2020 3rd overall. Seems like some shrewd prognostication by the Senators perhaps, thinking that the Sharks were a lock to be good in 2018-19, so let's defer it to a later year and hope they they're worse. But that wasn't the case at all.

That 2019 Sharks pick was already conditional from an earlier trade San Jose made with Buffalo to get Evander Kane. The first part of the condition was that if Kane signed with San Jose, Buffalo would get the 2019 1st, with an additional condition that if San Jose missed the playoffs in 2018-19, the Sharks had the option to defer the pick to 2020. Kane signed before the Karlsson trade, so the condition for the 1st for Karlsson had to have the condition where the Sharks making the 2019 playoffs gave Ottawa the 2020 pick because that meant the Sharks 2019 pick was committed to Buffalo.

Without the pre-existing Kane conditions, it's likely that the Karlsson trade would've had an unconditional 2019 first or protection for San Jose to defer to 2020 if they missed the playoffs. Pick #29 in 2019. Ottawa probably would've still drafted Pinto, then used their eventual Pinto pick on Soogard instead of trading up to 37 to get him.

Worked out well I think

The Waffler

Registered Offender
Jul 10, 2009
Planet Earth
Since we’re talking hypotheticals.

The Islanders pick we had in the Pageau trade was an interesting one as well. They were in a wildcard position at the time of the trade then lost a bunch to the point that they were looking like they could miss the playoffs (2-4-4 before the Covid shutdown). It was the lockdowns that saved their asses and they ended up making a run to the conference finals in the bubble playoffs. Essentially dropping that pick to 26th where we picked Ridley Greig.

Not to mention our own pick dropping from 2nd to 5th. We’ve had some terrible luck with draft positions.

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
And if we drafted Pronger over Daigle in 1993 maybe we win the Cup in 2007

Who cares about ifs and buts. Move on

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I feel like there is some bizarro universe where our lineup looks like this right now.

Tkachuk - Norris - Stone
Debrincat - Stutzle - Giroux
Sillinger - Pinto - Bath
Motte - Kastelic - Peterka

Chabot - Sanderson
Clarke - Byram
Hamonic - Zub

I'd very much like to visit this universe one day.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I feel like there is some bizarro universe where our lineup looks like this right now.

Tkachuk - Norris - Stone
Debrincat - Stutzle - Giroux
Sillinger - Pinto - Bath
Motte - Kastelic - Peterka

Chabot - Sanderson
Clarke - Byram
Hamonic - Zub

I'd very much like to visit this universe one day.
Not likely at all that we would have yanked far enough to get Brady, Sanderson and Byram, while keeping Stone and Duchene.

We would have had to commit to being competetive for those guys to stay, and that would negate all of our top picks from being on the roster.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
What if Dorion never thought that trading Zibanejad for a player 6 years older was a good idea as his first significant move?

We'd also keep our 2018 2nd round pick and draft Jonatan Berggren with it

What if Dorion never had an obsession for Duchene? We keep our 2019 first and draft Moritz Seider with it? We trade Kyle Turris differently and get a nice return?

What if Dorion never botched the whole Dzingel return? We'd still have Anthony Duclair, our 2020 2nd round pick (#52 Joel Blomqvist?) and our 2021 2nd round pick (#37 Scott Morrow?)

Then, what if we traded Tierney in 2020 and got another 2nd rounder in 2021 and drafted Aatu Raty or Matthew Knies with it?

What if we simply drafted Cole Sillinger with our 10th OA pick in 2021?

Endless...

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
Not likely at all that we would have yanked far enough to get Brady, Sanderson and Byram, while keeping Stone and Duchene.

We would have had to commit to being competetive for those guys to stay, and that would negate all of our top picks from being on the roster.
What a rational response to such a ridiculous post. I normally don't expect people to respond seriously to me when I reference bizarro alternate reality universes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad