If the PA wants anyone to take them seriously..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
jcab2000 said:
Ah, another "free market" lover.

If the NHL were a true free market, there would be no labor agreement and no NHLPA.

And the owners would absolutely hate that. I can almost guarantee they prefer working under labour law than antitrust law.

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Epsilon said:
And the owners would absolutely hate that. I can almost guarantee they prefer working under labour law than antitrust law.

Everyone would hate it. There would be no draft. All 32 teams could move to Toronto if they wanted to. All players would be free to sign with whatever team they wanted to sign with. There would be no trading deadline. Teams could sell players for cash.

It's a stupid concept. Franchise rules are there for a reason. Teams are franchises of the NHL. All teams know what the rules are and all teams agreed to follow franchise rules when they joined the NHL. A labor agreement is just that, AN AGREEMENT.

There is no communism going on here. The NHL can't put a gun to the players' heads and force them to play or to agree to a CBA they don't want to agree to.

This argument comparing labor agreements to communism is absurd.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
jcab2000 said:
Everyone would hate it. There would be no draft. All 32 teams could move to Toronto if they wanted to. All players would be free to sign with whatever team they wanted to sign with. There would be no trading deadline. Teams could sell players for cash.

It's a stupid concept. Franchise rules are there for a reason. Teams are franchises of the NHL. All teams know what the rules are and all teams agreed to follow franchise rules when they joined the NHL. A labor agreement is just that, AN AGREEMENT.

There is no communism going on here. The NHL can't put a gun to the players' heads and force them to play or to agree to a CBA they don't want to agree to.

This argument comparing labor agreements to communism is absurd.

Trottier's argument (which I agree with 100%) is that it is ridiculous for a company to be able to lock out its workers, who are willing to come to work, and then bar them from seeking temporary employment elsewhere while the labour dispute is resolved.

jcab2000

Mar 3, 2004
Raleigh, NC
Epsilon said:
Trottier's argument (which I agree with 100%) is that it is ridiculous for a company to be able to lock out its workers, who are willing to come to work, and then bar them from seeking temporary employment elsewhere while the labour dispute is resolved.

Perhaps I misunderstood his post as he wasn't quoting anyone so I didn't catch the full context of the conversation.

My apologies to Trottier.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
No apology necessary, friend. :) (And thanks to Epsilon for the clarification.)

jcab2000, you are absolutely correct. A truly unfettered "free market system" in the NHL would be chaotic/farcical. My comment was meant as an observation of the mind-boggling casualness in which a couple of posters wish to arbitrarily impose restrictions on INDIVIDUALS' BASIC RIGHTS!

Typically, these are the same people who are waving the flag and calling for others to die defending "our freedoms!", from the comfort of their Laz-E-Boy.

Selective
freedoms, that is. Only the ones they like. ;)

Last edited:

vanlady

Nov 3, 2004
Trottier said:
No apology necessary, friend. :) (And thanks to Epsilon for the clarification.)

jcab2000, you are absolutely correct. A truly unfettered "free market system" in the NHL would be chaotic/farcical. My comment was meant as an observation of the mind-boggling casualness in which a couple of posters wish to arbitrarily impose restrictions on INDIVIDUALS' BASIC RIGHTS!

Typically, these are the same people who are waving the flag and calling for others to die defending "our freedoms!", from the comfort of their Laz-E-Boy.

Selective
freedoms, that is. Only the ones they like. ;)

Best post I've read.

wazee

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
MOEBEAGLE said:
Boy are you a misguided and uninformed person>. Anti trust regulations require that the players have representation and have a labor agreement or the owners must bargain with each player regarding working conditions and things like that. Management stooge that does not know or understand the law . :banghead: :joker:
In a true free market system, there would not be any anti-trust laws. The only regulations on business would be those imposed by the market. So just who is the 'misguided and uninformed person' around here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad