If the Leafs did hire Mike Babcock won't it be like when they hired Brian Burke?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Let's pretend that Toronto was able to talk Mike Babcock into being their next head coach. Since he is the biggest name available won't it be like the time when Toronto hired Brian Burke as their President & General Manager? Everyone assumed Burke would turn them into a contender and we all know what happened. So just because Babcock has a great resume it doesn't always mean success as we have seen in the past when MLSE goes for the biggest name available. Unless this time things would be different under Brendan Shanahan and history would not repeat itself. So what are your thoughts?

Antropovsky

Jun 2, 2007
Let's pretend that Toronto was able to talk Mike Babcock into being their next head coach. Since he is the biggest name available won't it be like the time when Toronto hired Brian Burke as their President & General Manager? Everyone assumed Burke would turn them into a contender and we all know what happened. So just because Babcock has a great resume it doesn't always mean success as we have seen in the past when MLSE goes for the biggest name available. Unless this time things would be different under Brendan Shanahan and history would not repeat itself. So what are your thoughts?

babcock has a long history of success as a coach...

Brian Burke has had success on one team as a gm...

Also ones a gm and ones a coach... Apples to oranges.

In all honesty... Though...I don't think Babcock could have even coaches this team to the postseason. And I'm not saying that to slight Babcock in any shape or form.

The Suit*

A lot of people will think Babcock won't come to Toronto because it's a disaster. This is precisely the reason he will come. You would be surprised what 7 million dollars can do (per year) as well. The Leafs have shown they have no problem opening their wallet. Especially to get Babcock.

This disaster is the perfect storm. Babcock WANTS a challenge. He does not want a pre assembled team that is on the cusp. He wants full credit. He wants the glory from coaching a bunch of prospects into a Stanley cup champs in the greatest hockey city. He will cement his status as a legend.

Babcock and Burke are different animals, but rest assure, Babcock will be the next Leaf coach.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
A lot of people will think Babcock won't come to Toronto because it's a disaster. This is precisely the reason he will come. You would be surprised what 7 million dollars can do (per year) as well. The Leafs have shown they have no problem opening their wallet. Especially to get Babcock.

This disaster is the perfect storm. Babcock WANTS a challenge. He does not want a pre assembled team that is on the cusp. He wants full credit. He wants the glory from coaching a bunch of prospects into a Stanley cup champs in the greatest hockey city. He will cement his status as a legend.

Babcock and Burke are different animals, but rest assure, Babcock will be the next Leaf coach.

Quite the assumption since he has neither stated any of this, nor has anyone close to him eluded to it.

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006

Do have any quotes to back this all up or are we expected to take your word on it?

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Babs will have his pick of teams and there's no way he comes to a place where coach's career's come to die .

Imo if he leaves Det he'll do the Bowman and go from elite team to elite team .

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I think the OP has a point. At least when the way the owners will look at it. They will want to win with him. This is a one year re-tool, my guess. Of course if they can't get their man, whoever it is, they may accept another year of 'youth' in their team and let the chips fall where they lay.

But past history has shown us dozens of times that they won't wait for a rebuild. The owners will fill the media with stories of how WE as fans won't wait and are impatient. But it's really them. The opportunity to make money in the playoffs and up the prices again.

They bought their way with Gilmour, Sundin, and have attempted to it with Dion and Kessel. I have no faith in their patience.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Babs will have his pick of teams and there's no way he comes to a place which coach's career's come to die .

Imo if he leaves Det he'll do the Bowman and go from elite team to elite team .

Where will his options be? I don't see LA tossing Sutter aside for him. Maybe Boston if they miss the playoffs. Possibly San Jose. Coaching positions don't often come by with great teams.

gamer1035

Feb 14, 2012
I think Burke is a decent gm. I think Nonis is a moron.

I also believe that Kessel trade set this franchise back a decade, and Burke wouldn't do it again today. His impatience cost us, and I'm sure hes learned from it.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Where will his options be? I don't see LA tossing Sutter aside for him. Maybe Boston if they miss the playoffs. Possibly San Jose. Coaching positions don't often come by with great teams.

I could see him going to Pitts-St.L if they crap the bed again .

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I think Burke is a decent gm. I think Nonis is a moron.

I also believe that Kessel trade set this franchise back a decade, and Burke wouldn't do it again today. His impatience cost us, and I'm sure hes learned from it.

so Burke is a decent GM even though he set us back a decade ?

Hero

Uncle Leo
Jul 2, 2009
heropuck.wordpress.com
babcock has a long history of success as a coach...

Brian Burke has had success on one team as a gm...

Also ones a gm and ones a coach... Apples to oranges.

In all honesty... Though...I don't think Babcock could have even coaches this team to the postseason. And I'm not saying that to slight Babcock in any shape or form.

Babcock has had 2 NHL jobs.

His first job was 2 seasons.

I agree he's the greatest coach right now. But you can't discredit Burke by saying he had success with one team and not acknowledge the same is true for Babcock.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I don't know if we're ready for Babcock, even if he wanted to come.

If the Leafs are rebuilding, another 2-3 drafts of finishing in the bottom five will help us accumulate the building blocks we need to put together a good core. Assuming we're just average drafters, I'm not sure it's in our best interests to start rising in the standings like Calgary prematurely without the guns to compete with Buffalo in the future.

A great situation for us to have Babcock would be if we attained a level of rebuild like Colorado. Already loaded with talent and just going through some growing pains.

The Magic Man

With God given hands
Sep 1, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I don't see Babcock as a good fit right now..... who would be good for a rebuild?

Ted Nolan? Ron Wilson? Me? My senial grandfather? Peter Pee Pants, the schizophrenic hobo that lives on Jackson Square here in Hamilton?

Unless you don't want to lose and draft top 5 in another great draft.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Why would Babcock even give one thought about coming to Toronto?

So a bunch of self-anointed experts can start spouting off that he doesn't know how to coach and doesn't know hockey?

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls
Mike Babcock is a coach who creates a system for the players to succeed.

Brian Burke was a GM in charge of constructing the roster

I don't see the relevance

RadekBong

Sep 27, 2009
Toronto, Canada

Illitch is one of the few owners that has no problem competing with the Leafs when it comes to bankroll. The rest of your post is pure speculation.

We aren't entitled to signing Babcock. It might happen but it's far from certain at this point in time. It's stuff like this that gives our fanbase a bad name.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

So are you saying they should hire another big name because of Burke's tenure? What a ridiculous position.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
Babcock WANTS a challenge. He does not want a pre assembled team that is on the cusp. He wants full credit. He wants the glory from coaching a bunch of prospects into a Stanley cup champs in the greatest hockey city.

And just how, exactly, do you know what Babcock does or doesn't want?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad