Value of: If the Hawks don't take Byram

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
They should offer the 3OA to the highest bidder from Colorado, L.A. or Detroit.
My logic is that the best D-man is as known as it can be. HOWEVER, while many of you are self proclaimed experts none of us really knows who of Turcotte, Dach, Cozens or even Poz will end up the best player.
I think back (as a Hawk fan) to how elated teams were to get Johnson and Staal leaving Toews for Chicago at 3OA and that many (most?) fans had both Turris and JVR ahead of Kane even with Turris's lack of pedigree.
If the add from one of those teams is good enough it could be in Chicago's best interest to make a move. ... Unless of course Byram is the target.

Since none of the prefix choices really fit I am going to ask. ... What do folks think the 3 teams below would offer? (value of?)

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
That's a bad idea. If they don't take Byram its because they have a specific player they want to take. They'll just take him and move on, over trading to, say, 6th and hope they are still there.

Who cares if the 3+ range is particularly close? The Blackhawks have an entire scouting department to tell them who their best guess at being the best player is. They take that player. This is a top 5 pick, not some guess in the dark in the 7th round.

Reactions: Ace Card Bedard

Space umpire

Nov 15, 2018
Cocoa Beach, Florida
Why wouldn’t you just take whoever you want besides Byram?
Well, based on reading it appears the Av's would be pleased with either Byram or Turcotte. If L.A. wants to make a move for Byram and Chicago's scouts prefer Dach or Cozens why would they not jump at the chance to add something? They might be able to grab a 2nd in the process. ... Both Duncan Keith and Alex DeBrincat were 2nd round picks.

Reactions: plank

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
The problem there is that let’s say you trade down to 5. LA takes Byram. Then you lose your guy, Turcotte, to the Avs at 4. How much is that worth? Probably more than LA paid.

Reactions: TPOEJ6489

Echo Roku

Jan 14, 2018
The problem there is that let’s say you trade down to 5. LA takes Byram. Then you lose your guy, Turcotte, to the Avs at 4. How much is that worth? Probably more than LA paid.
His premise seems to based on Chicago having a weirdly large amount of confidence that the Avs don't take their guy based on the rumors that they like Turcotte (which isn't even a specific rumor, really?) and that Chicago may prefer some bar Byram/Turcotte/

:confused:

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
If Hawks don't take Byram, they might want to take a center like Turcotte or Cozens. Toews is not getting any younger and probably only has a few more good seasons in him.

Reactions: Taylorst

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Again, Toews/Kane at 30-31 need replacement less than 35-ish Keith/Seabrook. Hawks should take Byram, but Stan Bowman...........

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Byram and Turcotte (and Zegras?!?) are reportedly the ones the Hawks are most looking at at this point. If the Hawks didn't want Byram, it'd be stupid to trade down and risk losing out on Turcotte, who has been listed at 3rd or 4th overall on a ton of mock drafts.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I don't think there's a deal here that makes sense for Detroit. Not interested in giving up the picks, prospects, or any of our under 25 core it would take to move up and don't think any of our vets are interesting to Chicago. I'm content to take BPA at 6.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
When was the last time a top 3 pick was traded? Chicago wasn't originally in the top 3, they're not going to trade down after winning that spot. They're going to pick either Byram or Turcotte.

Reactions: goldenbladz1

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I don't think there's a deal here that makes sense for Detroit. Not interested in giving up picks, prospects, or any of our under 25 core to move up and don't think any of our vets are interesting to Chicago. I'm content to take BPA at 6.

I'd strongly consider #6 + #54 + Washington's 2020 2nd.

Realistically, I don't see any way Byram slips to us.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI

That might be the max I'd give up. Byram would be a pretty nice addition but I'm not convinced he's a tier above the rest of the prospects from 3-6ish.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
That might be the max I'd give up. Byram would be a pretty nice addition but I'm not convinced he's a tier above the rest of the prospects from 3-6ish.

I think he and Turcotte are separating themselves. And while the separation may be thin, realistically Detroit is still in a defensive no-man's land, even with Hronek/Cholowski/McIsaac.

ThankGord

Jul 11, 2018
GR, MI
I think he and Turcotte are separating themselves. And while the separation may be thin, realistically Detroit is still in a defensive no-man's land, even with Hronek/Cholowski/McIsaac.

Yeah it does seem that way and I do really like his game... but thinking about hitting on Bert on Hronek as second rounders makes me uneasy about giving up those chances.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
When was the last time a top 3 pick was traded? Chicago wasn't originally in the top 3, they're not going to trade down after winning that spot. They're going to pick either Byram or Turcotte.

Great question. Between lottery and draft, I can't think of one.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017

No chance CHI drops this many spots, but AVs might consider. They badly need a Forward and if Turcotte is gone, they have the ability to choose: Dach, Zegras or Cozens and repackage withering other picks to move into the low 1st round.

Reactions: Mac Attack

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
No chance CHI drops this many spots, but AVs might consider. They badly need a Forward and if Turcotte is gone, they have the ability to choose: Dach, Zegras or Cozens and repackage withering other picks to move into the low 1st round.

I dunno. The rumor came out a few days ago that they like six different guys in the draft. (Two of those are probably Hughes and Kakko) If they feel comfortable with the other four, they could trade down, get assets, and still get one of those guys.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It would be dumb for Chicago to do this. If you don't like Byram, fine, then take whatever player you want because everyone except the big two will be available.

This scenario plays out much better for Colorado. If Chicago takes Turcotte, they should then shop the pick see if anyone is desperate nearby in the draft, like LA, Detroit or Buffalo, for the dman, since they already have Makar and Girard. If not we just take Byram have a sick d core moving forward. If we move it we get an asset and still get a solid player in Zegras, Dach or Cozens.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
It would be dumb for Chicago to do this. If you don't like Byram, fine, then take whatever player you want because everyone except the big two will be available.

This scenario plays out much better for Colorado. If Chicago takes Turcotte, they should then shop the pick see if anyone is desperate nearby in the draft, like LA, Detroit or Buffalo, for the dman, since they already have Makar and Girard. If not we just take Byram have a sick d core moving forward. If we move it we get an asset and still get a solid player in Zegras, Dach or Cozens.
If Colorado ends up at that point of drafting Byram they would jump all over this. He almost single handed carried his team in playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad