Rumor: If the Coyotes Relocate, Will You Remain a Fan?

If the Coyotes Relocate, Will You Remain a Fan?

• Yes

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • No

Votes: 58 37.2%
  • Maybe/Undecided

Votes: 46 29.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
BA is a great GM....and maybe an even better Salesman.....He'll be tested trying to sell Utah as a place player's wives will love to live as compared to Scottsdale.

I suspect after the initial novelty wears off core Coyotes will begin looking for ways out. I doubt our Unicorn Russian's drafted last year will ever suit up for the franchise.

Good luck signing our own free agents or other teams free agents.

If one of BA/AT/Keller goes elsewhere my interest will be cut significantly.....and I'd expect the team I know will begin to crumble as others follow suit.

I might root for an expansion team, but my hometown has proven it does not support hockey. Fool me once, shame on you.....Fool me twice.....not going to happen.

Most likely I will substitute fantasy hockey for a hockey team to keep me interested in day to day hockey.

I'll follow players, but not a team.

BAdvocate

Mediocrity is the enemy of any Dynasty
Feb 27, 2003
youtu.be
Utah Bigamy.

They'll ice 10 skaters and 2 goalies.....

Ahh...now having all those draft picks makes sense

• Wow
Reactions: Lt Dan

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Utah Scorpions was the last cool name I could think of…I think that’s about it for the real contenders.
IMG_2621.jpeg
IMG_2620.jpeg
IMG_2619.jpeg
IMG_2618.jpeg

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Maaybe, it is not Scottsdale but it isn't Winnipeg or Buffalo or Ottawa etc.

SLC is nice...I don't think it will be as tough a sale as you are suggesting.
The problem isn't that SLC isn't nice (hows that for phrasing haha), it's a perfectly fine sleepy little city with cool mountain ranges all around it. By all accounts the area around it is beautiful!! The problem is it's basically like the vatican, the church runs absolutely everything around there. Sure no one is going to force you to be Mormon but it's going to be everywhere and in your face at all times.

A lot of people keeping talking about the young players not wanting to be there because it's not hip or whatever but honestly I can see it being a way bigger deterrent for older players with families, particularly those with school age kids.

Most people do not want their kids going to schools where indoctrination into an even whackier than usual religion is a very real possibility. Anyone who is outside of AZ may think I'm being dramatic but we have a huge Mormon presence here and that can happen here. I've literally had conversations with parents here in Phoenix who ruled out Mesa as a place to live for that very reason. Sure the schools are "public" but depending on where you're attending, the student body could easily be 80% Mormon.

I.e. if SLC wasn't overwhelmingly Mormon, it would be a totally different story, it would basically be Denver lite. However it IS overwhelmingly Mormon so it's not a stretch to think some players will avoid it. I don't think it'll be enough to control the success of the team one way or the other, just like it hasn't in Winnipeg, but it will always be a bit of an issue IMO.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
The problem isn't that SLC isn't nice (hows that for phrasing haha), it's a perfectly fine sleepy little city with cool mountain ranges all around it. By all accounts the area around it is beautiful!! The problem is it's basically like the vatican, the church runs absolutely everything around there. Sure no one is going to force you to be Mormon but it's going to be everywhere and in your face at all times.

A lot of people keeping talking about the young players not wanting to be there because it's not hip or whatever but honestly I can see it being a way bigger deterrent for older players with families, particularly those with school age kids.

Most people do not want their kids going to schools where indoctrination into an even whackier than usual religion is a very real possibility. Anyone who is outside of AZ may think I'm being dramatic but we have a huge Mormon presence here and that can happen here. I've literally had conversations with parents here in Phoenix who ruled out Mesa as a place to live for that very reason. Sure the schools are "public" but depending on where you're attending, the student body could easily be 80% Mormon.
Yikes, are we going here again?

Yes, I’m sure the area where people are indoctrinated into being too nice will be a major problem for families haha

Reactions: DustyDangler

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yikes, are we going here again?

Yes, I’m sure the area where people are indoctrinated into being too nice will be a major problem for families haha
Yeah because being too nice is the problem at hand. Certainly not the magic underwear, certainly not that you get your own planet when you die, and certainly not that you become a god yourself. By the way did you know Mormon's think bigfoot is Cain from the bible. I guess that'll lend more credence to the Yeti mascot idea. haha

Look I know you're superstitious but Mormon's are a whole different level, hell they make you look logical! :p:

• Haha
Reactions: Kaizen

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
Yeah because being too nice is the problem at hand. Certainly not the magic underwear, certainly not that you get your own planet when you die, and certainly not that you become a god yourself. By the way did you know Mormon's think bigfoot is Cain from the bible. I guess that'll lend more credence to the Yeti mascot idea. haha

Look I know you're superstitious but Mormon's are a whole different level, hell they make you look logical! :p:
I did not know that .. I guess that makes sense about the Yeti fascination

I was listening to KSL sports ,, talking about Smith trying to convince City council about a spot downtown for the arena.. they have to convince City Council to add taxes ..

Lots of public not happy with tax increases.

Sound like Glendale all over again

They are concerned about the generational legacy this may cause

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona

Listen man, do I agree Mormons can be a little above average in the wacky beliefs department? Yes. I don’t judge them for it, ridicule them or act like I’m greater than them though, and you know why? Because neither you or I or anyone has the mysteries of the universe figured out. Science hasn’t figured it out…it has theories and if you want to believe whatever theories come about that’s also great but it’s just another side of the same thing…faith…not certainty. I don’t know any Mormons all that well but they seem to be a net benefit to society. Salt Lake seems to be a nice, clean, quiet and safe city that’s nice to raise a family in…not sure you can say the same about a lot of other city areas in America today.

Reactions: DustyDangler and rt

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America

I was listening to KSL sports ,, talking about Smith trying to convince City council about a spot downtown for the arena.. they have to convince City Council to add taxes ..

Yikes .. so it sounds like where they want to build downtown the land is owned by a number of different groups.. the “salt Palace” the county the Native American groups all have to agree .

If it doesn’t get approved both then NBA and NHL would have to move out of downtown and there is a fear it may not work to have both premium sport teams out of the downtown area..

Lots of irons in the fire ..

Smith Entertainment group has a lot of work to do.

Reactions: DustyDangler

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023

I.e. if SLC wasn't overwhelmingly Mormon, it would be a totally different story, it would basically be Denver lite. However it IS overwhelmingly Mormon so it's not a stretch to think some players will avoid it. I don't think it'll be enough to control the success of the team one way or the other, just like it hasn't in Winnipeg, but it will always be a bit of an issue IMO.
SLC is not an overwhelmingly Mormon city. Mormonism is a minority religion in SLC and SLC county.

A parent who is worried about indoctrination would never send a child to a public school as that is what public schools excel at and the religion of choice for public schools is secular humanism. An NHL player would have the resources to send their child to the indoctrination center of their choosing and quick glance you will find pages of private schools in SLC including 10+ that are Roman Catholic.

Reactions: rt

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville

I think the nhl is feeling pretty good about the odds of the arena getting done. Smith too. He wouldn’t have paid a BILLION dollars for the Coyotes if he didn’t know for sure he’s getting an arena. The NHL wouldn’t have downgraded from 6m to 1.5m if they werent feeling sure, also.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Listen man, do I agree Mormons can be a little above average in the wacky beliefs department? Yes. I don’t judge them for it, ridicule them or act like I’m greater than them though, and you know why? Because neither you or I or anyone has the mysteries of the universe figured out. Science hasn’t figured it out…it has theories and if you want to believe whatever theories come about that’s also great but it’s just another side of the same thing…faith…not certainty. I don’t know any Mormons all that well but they seem to be a net benefit to society. Salt Lake seems to be a nice, clean, quiet and safe city that’s nice to raise a family in…not sure you can say the same about a lot of other city areas in America today.
Since when is this about whether or not Mormons are a "net benefit to society". lol...seriously, what are you on about? Here's a questino for you, I want to see if you can answer it directly. Do you think players will take the Mormon dominance over Salt Lake City into account when it comes to moving their families there?

View attachment 854040

(Source: Salt Lake Tribune)
That's a beautiful trend right there, lets hope it continues!

• Wow
Reactions: Kaizen

DustyDangler

Dec 20, 2023
Since when is this about whether or not Mormons are a "net benefit to society". lol...seriously, what are you on about? Here's a questino for you, I want to see if you can answer it directly. Do you think players will take the Mormon dominance over Salt Lake City into account when it comes to moving their families there?
Do Blackhawks players concern themselves with the Roman Catholic dominance in Chicago? Do Red Wings players worry about Muslims in Dearborn? Too many Jews in New York and Florida?

rt

May 13, 2004
I think SLC is both a small market and a new market. I think as players spend more time there necessarily due to the NHL schedule they will understand the area much better than they do today. As a result, they’ll make decisions based off of their own experience rather than bigoted or simply ignorant stereotypes. And as with any market, some players will find it to their taste and others will not.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I agree with what rt said, but to answer the question I would say yes they will take it into account, but I would wager that they will either immediately or eventually view it as a positive, rather than a negative like you’re implying. Do I want to live and raise my family in a godless hedonistic hellscape like NY, LA, CHI, DET, or would I rather raise my family in a beautiful, clean, safe and relatively quiet smaller market with a passionate fan base…and have to deal with interacting with a higher than usual amount of Mormons? Easy choice. As Dusty said, these guys can send their kids to whatever school they please…it’s a nothing burger.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Do Blackhawks players concern themselves with the Roman Catholic dominance in Chicago? Do Red Wings players worry about Muslims in Dearborn? Too many Jews in New York and Florida?
As if those compare by any stretch.

I think SLC is both a small market and a new market. I think as players spend more time there necessarily due to the NHL schedule they will understand the area much better than they do today. As a result, they’ll make decisions based off of their own experience rather than bigoted or simply ignorant stereotypes. And as with any market, some players will find it to their taste and others will not.
Lots of players play in Winnipeg and are perfectly happy there, I don't think SLC will be any different in that regard. Lets not get this twisted, this all started from people acting like the only concern is that SLC is a small city when it's obvious there's more to it then that. Also not wanting to send your kids to a religious school is a perfectly reasonably stance, it doesn't make one bigoted or engaging in ignorant stereotypes.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I agree with what rt said, but to answer the question I would say yes they will take it into account, but I would wager that they will either immediately or eventually view it as a positive, rather than a negative like you’re implying. Do I want to live and raise my family in a godless hedonistic hellscape like NY, LA, CHI, DET, or would I rather raise my family in a beautiful, clean, safe and relatively quiet smaller market with a passionate fan base…and have to deal with interacting with a higher than usual amount of Mormons? Easy choice. As Dusty said, these guys can send their kids to whatever school they please…it’s a nothing burger.
Yes was all you needed to say, then we agree. As for the rest of your naive puritan rant, I'm not sure if I should call you out for the false choice or just go ahead and file that away in the ignorant stereotype bucket rt just set out there. I think I'll choose the latter so we don't derail this thread any longer. lol

Arizonans worry about Republicans banning abortion. :facepalm:
I mean...they did. :dunno:

rt

May 13, 2004
As if those compare by any stretch.

Lots of players play in Winnipeg and are perfectly happy there, I don't think SLC will be any different in that regard.
I expect SLC to end up being on relatively few 8 team or 10 team NTCs if the team is competitive. I suspect it will generally be seen as more attractive than Canada, Columbus and Buffalo. Unless there are big turn arounds in competitiveness. Pittsburgh may be headed for dark days and that’s not a marquee market outside of winning.

SLC definitely won’t be as appealing to most players as Vegas or Anaheim, I’m sure. Then again, Detroit has been a destination market for most of my life. Who the heck wants to live there?!?! Lol. Winning means a lot.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Yes was all you needed to say, then we agree. As for the rest of your naive puritan rant, I'm not sure if I should call you out for the false choice or just go ahead and file that away in the ignorant stereotype bucket rt just set out there. I think I'll choose the latter so we don't derail this thread any longer. lol

I mean...they did. :dunno:

That's what I mean. Sometimes those concerns are valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad