*If* the Caps win, they will be the toughest team to win since....

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
By tough, I mean physically imposing. I'd say they are tougher then the Kings team that won their cups. Probably going back to Boston in 2011.

Also, could this reverse the trend of exclusive speed/skill teams?

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
By tough, I mean physically imposing. I'd say they are tougher then the Kings team that won their cups. Probably going back to Boston in 2011.

Also, could this reverse the trend of exclusive speed/skill teams?

Agreed about the first part, disagree about the second. Caps also have lots of speed and skill. It's a lethal combo of speed, skill, and physicality. Embodied by Ovi especially, who has all three of those things, and going all the way down the lineup.

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Its been a while since we've seen a team like these Caps win. Maybe Boston. Series is by no means over though, as Vegas can still win this, but I worry about the new trend if they do. Vegas gets a ton of credit for being fast, but they are also a shut down team with the "pick plays" and various trap formations. It would probably erase all the progress we've made bringing skill back into the game, with the Pens and a few other teams.

Reactions: BlueMcGreen

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Probably. Pens past 2 years played a speed game (especially in 2016), Hawks were skill and defense. Caps also play the trap

RedHot

Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Its been a while since we've seen a team like these Caps win. Maybe Boston. Series is by no means over though, as Vegas can still win this, but I worry about the new trend if they do. Vegas gets a ton of credit for being fast, but they are also a shut down team with the "pick plays" and various trap formations. It would probably erase all the progress we've made bringing skill back into the game, with the Pens and a few other teams.
I'm not saying it would be a good thing either, but I do really enjoy physical series.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Washington is nowhere near as tough or physically imposing as the cup winning Kings, who weren't as tough as the Bruins the year before. Those Kings teams, especially 2012, played very hard, heavy, and physical. They had some big bodies and even the smaller guys like Richards and Brown played like they were >6'0.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB

bring back the jets

Oct 30, 2010
I'd say there are a few that are better than him accelerating that have entered the league since 2015 (read: McDavid etc) but yeah. There you go, more proof. Ovi is a beast.

McDavid's initial acceleration is unreal, which is odd because he doesn't have the muscle that is typically associated with burst speed. I have a hard time believing Ovi's is quicker. Maybe 10 years ago though.

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Washington is nowhere near as tough or physically imposing as the cup winning Kings, who weren't as tough as the Bruins the year before.

That's interesting because the Caps played against the Bruins the year after they won the cup. At the beginning of that series, they were all trying to hit Ovechkin. It was clearly part of their game plan. They were unsuccessful. They couldn't get him down. They were getting counter hit, and then hit again for good measure. By game four their players wanted nothing to do with him.

Last edited:

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Anyway, I don't know how you rank toughness. The Caps don't have a lot of fighters or anything, but they do have a lot of big bodies (Ovechkin, Orpik, Wilson, DSP). They have out-physicalled every team so far but part of that is due to the scheme too. Tampa Bay beat up the Bruins with some heavy hits. Their fans thought that would continue against the Caps. Didn't work out that way. In game 6 of the Lighting/Caps series - that was one of the most physically dominating beat downs I have ever seen. Before that series I had never seen Victor Hedman get utterly destroyed and tossed on his arse, but that's what Ovie did.

RedHot

Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Washington is nowhere near as tough or physically imposing as the cup winning Kings, who weren't as tough as the Bruins the year before. Those Kings teams, especially 2012, played very hard, heavy, and physical. They had some big bodies and even the smaller guys like Richards and Brown played like they were >6'0.
I think its debatable. Would be a rough series for sure though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad