Speculation: If the cap drops...

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Pierre LeBrun‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Another detail emerging: NHL has upped its compliance buyout offer to 2 per team, up from 1 prior to 2013-14 season.

That helps the Hawks a lot too.

Ace Rothstein

Aces High
Mar 13, 2012
Last I heard they were trying to get it up to $67M. Frankly, I'd be shocked if it goes below $65M. Too many teams would have to sell off players for peanuts.

It would be like a dispersal draft, giving the league even more parity. If it happens, getting into the playoffs is going to be a battle.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I'm torn between Olesz and Oduya, mainly because of the extra year on Oduya's contract.

Agreed, Oduya would be the best guy to buy out. I doubt Bowman would do it before he even plays a game on his new contract though. What a thoughtless signing.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Agreed, Oduya would be the best guy to buy out. I doubt Bowman would do it before he even plays a game on his new contract though. What a thoughtless signing.

How? he's better than Montador, Olesz can't even keep up in the AHL, and Frolik is a depth forward where we are the most deep at.

Oduya is AT LEAST a solid bottom pairing Dman.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
As much as I’d love to lose the Oduya contract, after successive concussions I do have serious doubts about Monty’s health - but if he is healthy he is a better fit to keep on this team. As mentioned he’s cheaper with a shorter contract. It’s polite to call the signing of JO as thoughtless. It was the worst decision Stan has made to date. And that’s saying a lot, as I shake my head looking at our supposed #1 and #2 goaltenders… but that’s another topic that I’d rather forget.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Well, you know I feel we need to be big spenders and we are already close to the cap so whatever gets us that space that we can afford to lose. We need a Getzlaf or Backstrom type acquisition. That's not going to be cheap. This opportunity to buy out two players may be able to allow that to happen.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Oduya has 3 years at $3.38 mil
Montador has 3 years at $2.75 mil

There isn't some sort of massive savings.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Oduya has 3 years at $3.38 mil
Montador has 3 years at $2.75 mil

There isn't some sort of massive savings.

Accepting the fact that we haven't and probably won't push the cap like many top teams do, yeah, it makes more sense to buy out Montador given his concussion issues. I still prefer him to Oduya as a player though, but the difference isn't that big.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Accepting the fact that we haven't and probably won't push the cap like many top teams do, yeah, it makes more sense to buy out Montador given his concussion issues. I still prefer him to Oduya as a player though, but the difference isn't that big.

Ugh, we push the cap pretty hard. Hence having to dismantle our entire team 2 years ago. I think they didn't push the cap this time around because they realized the cap was going to drop and didn't want to end up in another situation where they are dumping contracts and getting scrap heap guys in a year.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Ugh, we push the cap pretty hard. Hence having to dismantle our entire team 2 years ago. I think they didn't push the cap this time around because they realized the cap was going to drop and didn't want to end up in another situation where they are dumping contracts and getting scrap heap guys in a year.

Yeah, I don't want to dig up old bones but one year deals are just that, especially when acquired at the trade deadline. I understand the reluctance to sign people this past summer, fine, but after this new CBA, this team needs to be fixed and it starts with using all of the resources that are available.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Well, you know I feel we need to be big spenders and we are already close to the cap so whatever gets us that space that we can afford to lose. We need a Getzlaf or Backstrom type acquisition. That's not going to be cheap. This opportunity to buy out two players may be able to allow that to happen.

I disagree, we don't need another high paid player, and Backstrom won't be getting anything close to what he is making this year (assuming you mean the goalie Backstrom)

What we need are lower line players with grit and that can pot a few goals when our stars struggle.

Buying out Oduya instead of Montador saves us 630k, but makes our team worse, especially if Montador can't stay healthy.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Yeah, I don't want to dig up old bones but one year deals are just that, especially when acquired at the trade deadline. I understand the reluctance to sign people this past summer, fine, but after this new CBA, this team needs to be fixed and it starts with using all of the resources that are available.

Agreed, they should spend to the cap but you also have to account for guys on your team that are due raises. I don't want them to spend just to spend. They were going to push the cap for Parise which makes sense, but there's no reason to be up against it just to sign guys that won't be better than the lower salary guys on the roster.

Ugh, I just want to argue about hockey again instead of Bears draft picks and who the Bulls should trade for.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Yeah, the great thing about our deep minor league system is that it should allow us to bring in a guy like Parise or Getzlaf or Backstrom. It was good we talked to Parise but let's get a deal done next time.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Yeah, the great thing about our deep minor league system is that it should allow us to bring in a guy like Parise or Getzlaf or Backstrom. It was good we talked to Parise but let's get a deal done next time.
IMO, those prospects have to prove they are NHL talents before we bring in a Getzlaf or whoever. Our prospects look good on paper, that's all we know so far.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Why are people saying Olesz? Is "stashing players in the A" officially something the PA is trying to push for?

(Sorry, Havnt been following the specifics of the lockout much)

If you can still "bury" guys then Olesz shouldnt be bought out. Don't waste it on him

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad