Proposal: If the Canucks traded Virtanen similarly to how they traded McCann

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
any interest in King for virtanen and a 3rd?

LOL nope, most of us haven't given up on Virt because we understand that he is actually only 20 years old, we also understand that PWF tend to take longer to develop, we will wait and see what we actually have in Virt before making snap judgements, not selling low.

Last edited:

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
If anything I would hope they make some sort of trade with Carolina. Virtanen for Gauthier and use picks to even it out. I really want this team to have a young pwf and hopefully they would do it right the second time and let Gauthier develop properly.

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
If anything I would hope they make some sort of trade with Carolina. Virtanen for Gauthier and use picks to even it out. I really want this team to have a young pwf and hopefully they would do it right the second time and let Gauthier develop properly.

You know that Virtanen is only 20 years old right?

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
Kidding? Virtanen had as many Pts as King last year in just 8 more games, while being 8 years younger than King.... Why are we adding a pick here :help:

It sounds like Virtanen is not playing well on ur team King is a proven 200 foot player with 2 cup rings. Plays better in the playoffs. If you're only looking at offensive stats you're not seeing his game Lets not forget hes on a team that plays uber defense His scoring would go up a lot on vancouver as he would be allowed to go for a bit more offense and see some pp time. King will give you quality mins and not hurt u defensively

Skirbs1011

May 18, 2015
You know that Virtanen is only 20 years old right?

yes we all know this. but management won't do the right thing for his career and let him develop properly.

so on the topic IF he was traded then I would want it to be for a prospect of similar qualities.

DS7

Oct 9, 2013
Vancouver, BC
Buffalo fans, would Evander kane be in the discussion for Virtanen +?

Not that i personally agree with it, but it's the kind of player Benning may target to compete now

Nucklehead Supreme

Jul 10, 2011
yes we all know this. but management won't do the right thing for his career and let him develop properly.

so on the topic IF he was traded then I would want it to be for a prospect of similar qualities.

I agree that he should be in Utica, but playing on the Canucks is not exactly detrimental, not yet at least, especially when he is playing with guys like Horvat and Baertchi, we just need to be patient.

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
It sounds like Virtanen is not playing well on ur team King is a proven 200 foot player with 2 cup rings. Plays better in the playoffs. If you're only looking at offensive stats you're not seeing his game Lets not forget hes on a team that plays uber defense His scoring would go up a lot on vancouver as he would be allowed to go for a bit more offense and see some pp time. King will give you quality mins and not hurt u defensively

It seems to me that you don't see much of Virtanen either... We most definitely don't need a Dwight King, so I don't see how trading a guy with potential to be 10x the player, and quite frankly isn't that far off already. It's not like King plays Bergeron-esque defence... and I highly doubt his scoring would "go up a lot" in Vancouver, it's not like he's a skilled guy being forced to tone his game down

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
It seems to me that you don't see much of Virtanen either... We most definitely don't need a Dwight King, so I don't see how trading a guy with potential to be 10x the player, and quite frankly isn't that far off already. It's not like King plays Bergeron-esque defence... and I highly doubt his scoring would "go up a lot" in Vancouver, it's not like he's a skilled guy being forced to tone his game down

You said it yourself its all potential on Virtanen He has proven nothing kings take a risk on him reaching his potential. He is playing bottom line mins. If he hasn't proven he an handle top 6 mins on a offensively challenged club as vancouver hes closer to busting then breaking out imo.

King is playing a lot more mins then virtanen. He has already proven he can score 15 goals. Last year he was hurt and really hasn't recovered Its not a stretch to think he could do it again and a little more with some pp time on a club that plays a little more wide open then la Well hes given top lw defensive mins from sutter a coach who knows more about hockey then both of us combined So to me that means he knows what hes doing. Also i don't see a bunch of other offers in here for him So if you don't like the offer fine but good luck trying to get a better one for him

HasbeenHallzy

May 14, 2015
Sudbury
You said it yourself its all potential on Virtanen He has proven nothing kings take a risk on him reaching his potential. He is playing bottom line mins. If he hasn't proven he an handle top 6 mins on a offensively challenged club as vancouver hes closer to busting then breaking out imo.

King is playing a lot more mins then virtanen. He has already proven he can score 15 goals. Last year he was hurt and really hasn't recovered Its not a stretch to think he could do it again and a little more with some pp time on a club that plays a little more wide open then la Well hes given top lw defensive mins from sutter a coach who knows more about hockey then both of us combined So to me that means he knows what hes doing. Also i don't see a bunch of other offers in here for him So if you don't like the offer fine but good luck trying to get a better one for him

He's playing more minutes cause he's 9 years older...... and he has scored 15-goal ONE TIME, and I don't think many people doubt Virtanen being able to score 15 goals... Once again, cool, he's a solid defensive winger... Exactly what the Canucks need, right?

There are plenty of Dwight Kings in this league. You don't trade a 20 year old top 10 draft pick for a career 3rd liner at best.

Would you trade Kempe and a 3rd for Ryan Garbutt? lol

KingCanadain1976

Jul 8, 2009
Thunder Bay Ont. Can
He's playing more minutes cause he's 9 years older...... and he has scored 15-goal ONE TIME, and I don't think many people doubt Virtanen being able to score 15 goals... Once again, cool, he's a solid defensive winger... Exactly what the Canucks need, right?

There are plenty of Dwight Kings in this league. You don't trade a 20 year old top 10 draft pick for a career 3rd liner at best.

Would you trade Kempe and a 3rd for Ryan Garbutt? lol

Please show me some with 2 cups playing over 16 mins a game making less then 2 million a year. I mean if there is that many prove what your saying. Hes played more top 6 mins then bottom 6 go look it up for yourself. If your 20 year old top 10 draft pick can't crack your top 6 maybe you do :yo:

LOL as for your kempe and a 3rd for Ryan Garbutt its no wear near the same as kempe has not played one nhl game to let us know if he can play top 6 mins or not. The kings only promote players when there ready for nhl mins not before like vancouver. :) have a nice day

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Virtanen will not be traded during the course of this regime. It will take utter failure under the next coach for this team to give up on him. Plus he is obviously playing hurt.

Skiffer55

Logan Stanley's Cup
Jun 4, 2011
Ottawa, ON
Kidding? Virtanen had as many Pts as King last year in just 8 more games, while being 8 years younger than King.... Why are we adding a pick here :help:

Lol but trading Virtanen and a pick for a player like King would be such a perfect Nucks trade these days. Dim Jim would probably dig it

JTmillerForA1stLOL

Oct 12, 2007
From the Leafs if you guys want to shuffle some deck chairs the Leafs will move Rychel, Gauthier, Froese, maybe some draft picks in a package for him. Cannucks get some bottom 6 players with size, and the Leafs hope Virtanen can become an NHLer while hoping our coaches can help him reach his potential.

Most likely a loss for the Leafs here as I don't think Virtanen is in the NHL in 2 years, but they get rid of some contracts for some guys who will top out as third liners.

So we trade a guy who's trending towards being a bottom 6 player with size, but still has the potential to be a top 6 power forward... for a proven bottom 6 player with size?

Yeah, I'll take a risk on Virtanen. At worst he develops into exactly what you're offering.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
So we trade a guy who's trending towards being a bottom 6 player with size, but still has the potential to be a top 6 power forward... for a proven bottom 6 player with size?

Yeah, I'll take a risk on Virtanen. At worst he develops into exactly what you're offering.

Very well put now lets move on people Virtanen is not being shopped certainly not giving up on him.

Haatley

haatley
Jun 9, 2011
Toronto
#Older #Wiser. ;)

When I was making those proposals last year, I didn't think the Canucks would finish bottom 3, as they had made the playoffs the previous year. However - I then saw how susceptible the Canucks were to 1-2 key injuries, and how they bombed afterwards.

It's the same thing this year. When the stars and moons are aligned and the Canucks ice an almost-near healthy roster, they're actually not too bad.....and legitimately are a low-end 1st round playoff team. The problem is that it's unrealistic to have 97-100% health for almost an entire 82 game season, and when the Canucks do get hit by injuries, they go from being a low-end playoff team to a lottery team.

So yes - you won't see me making 2017 1st round proposals this year. :nod:

But having said all that - if the right deal comes along, or is offered, I'm all ears.

Ah so only injuries only hurt the Canucks and doesn't affect results of any other teams. Gotcha

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Virtanen isn't the one I'm interested in, the player I'm interested in is Tryamkin.

With some development time I wonder if he might be a decent player, only problem is that he has refused assignment to Utica, and is now sitting out games, not sure about the whole backstory with that situation.

I don't know much about Tryamkin but if he can learn to play stay at home hockey and use his size advantage, could he be a decent defensemen.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Virtanen isn't the one I'm interested in, the player I'm interested in is Tryamkin.

With some development time I wonder if he might be a decent player, only problem is that he has refused assignment to Utica, and is now sitting out games, not sure about the whole backstory with that situation.

I don't know much about Tryamkin but if he can learn to play stay at home hockey and use his size advantage, could he be a decent defensemen.

He can be had for a high scoring Centre prospect or a mid round pick

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Ah so only injuries only hurt the Canucks and doesn't affect results of any other teams. Gotcha

GUH?!?!?!

Is that really what you got out of my post? C'mon man. :shakehead

What I was doing, was criticising the Canucks' lack of depth. Essentially, what I was saying, was that the Canucks have a pretty decent team when the stars and moons are aligned (i.e. 97-100% health), but completely unravel when they have a few key injuries....and go from being a low-end playoff team to a bottom 3 lottery team.

By contrast, many other teams in the NHL are far less susceptible to injuries due to their superior depth.

That's what I was attempting to say.

In 2015, the Canucks miraculously stayed healthy for the most part and ended up making the playoffs. Last year, they completely fell apart with a few injuries (something that I didn't expect). That's why prior to that, a lot of my trade proposals dealt with dealing 1st round picks, as I expected the Canucks to be a 13-18th ranked team as opposed to 27-30. I overestimated their ability to stay afloat when struck with injuries.

Last edited:

Horse McHindu

They call me Horse.....
Jun 21, 2014
Beijing
Buffalo fans, would Evander kane be in the discussion for Virtanen +?

Not that i personally agree with it, but it's the kind of player Benning may target to compete now

That certainly would be a high risk-high (potential) reward type move, but I think desperate measures might call for desperate times.

The Canucks need another Top 6 winger, and need to make the twins their second line. Enter Evander Kane. If you bring in Kane and he lives up to billing (obviously, 'living up to billing' is where the high risk-high reward factor comes in), then the Canucks should have a new #1 line in Kane-Horvat-Eriksson.

Yes, Kane does have character issues, but he's also smart enough to know that if he F's up again, he could be looking at European hockey for the rest of his life. Being home in Vancouver should keep Kane happy, and being surrounded by character vets could help mold Kane.

More importantly however, the Canucks potentially address a major need on their team.

Kane-Horvat-Eriksson
Sedin-Sedin-Hansen
Baertschi-Sutter-Burrows
Granlund-Gaunce-Dorsett

Next season, Boeser replaces Burrows.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad