Speculation: If the Bruins win the cup without Rask do they consider moving him?

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Tukka Rask opting out of the playoffs for personal reasons is fully within his rights, but it does put Boston in an interesting situation.

With the cap staying flat for the foreseeable future, a lot of teams will be facing tough decisions. If they prove they can go it without Tukka, is moving his salary an appealing alternative to losing Torey Krug to free agency?

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Who’s going to trade for him? Covid is not going away any time soon. Why would you trade for a guy who has already opted out. It’s a risk the acquiring team needs to consider before making a deal.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
wasn't there a story where Rask said he was considering retirement after his deal was done? feels like he's not gonna come back to finish it now

Sam Pollock

Mar 1, 2013
Calgary
I'm just curious if anyone knows if players like Rask or Hamonic, who opt out of the playoffs for covid-19 reasons, still get their paycheck for not playing?

As for being traded (assuming Rask is still playing next year), who's going to take on $7 million of a 33 year old in his last year a contract. Not too many teams would have the cap space I would think.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
I want to preface this by saying I think its extremely unlikely that the Bruins move on from their franchise goalie, but in the interest of speculative fun...

Rask has 1 year left after this at $7m. Given the flat cap and a decent amount of quality UFAs (Holtby, Markstrom, Lehner) Rask likely doesn't bring much in trade value. The most valuable thing they'd get in return is cap space. Now lets say the Bruins win a couple rounds and Halak looks good. Maybe they feel like they're better off saving $3-4m by signing a guy like Greiss, or trading for Georgiev/Murray... even Lundqvist with 50% retention to rotate with Halak. What would the market look like for Rask?

You'd likely have Minnesota and San Jose interested, with the idea of giving their ageing cores one last shot with a Vezina goalie. Calgary and Edmonton could also believe they're a Rask away from cup contention. If Buffalo is all in to compete next year they'd be interested, but I doubt the Bruins would want to trade in division. Maybe Vancouver, if they can't agree to terms with Markstrom and want to wait another year before handing the reigns over to Demko. Then theres Carolina, a goalie of Rask's caliber would really go a long ways to make them true cup contenders.

razor8

Nov 28, 2017
I'm just curious if anyone knows if players like Rask or Hamonic, who opt out of the playoffs for covid-19 reasons, still get their paycheck for not playing?

As for being traded (assuming Rask is still playing next year), who's going to take on $7 million of a 33 year old in his last year a contract. Not too many teams would have the cap space I would think.

They don't get paid for playoffs.

Black Kevin

I don't work my ass off
Nov 19, 2019
Raleigh
He's one of the best goalies in the league. With one year remaining, and possibly a retirement after that, I can definitely see the Bruins trading him at the next TDL. His caphit won't be an issue then. Pittsburgh is likely going to gamble with one of Murray and Jarry, so it wouldn't hurt to bring in Rask for one play off push. Same thing can be said about Vancouver and some other teams. The way I see it, the return will be a lesser goalie prospect and a 2nd round pick.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Tukka Rask opting out of the playoffs for personal reasons is fully within his rights, but it does put Boston in an interesting situation.

With the cap staying flat for the foreseeable future, a lot of teams will be facing tough decisions. If they prove they can go it without Tukka, is moving his salary an appealing alternative to losing Torey Krug to free agency?

I feel some of the critics of Rask have been unfair he has been one of the top goaltenders in the league,although I think Tuukka has left himself open to some of it. I do not believe he will be back to finish out his contract. Even with the support of his teammates I think the fans will not be as forgiving. I hope that the cap savings be used to to find some scoring and and replacement goaltender. I plead with Sweeney not use this space to sign Krug , it will be a overpayment............

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't see any way Rask gets traded in the first place, but even if the Bruins made him available, I don't think many teams would be interested in trading for him. He makes $7 million a year with a 15 team NTC and, if you believe him about retiring after his current deal, he only has 1 year left. Bad teams who need a starter won't trade for him because he's not a long term option, so you're limited to good teams. What good teams out there both need a starting goalie and have the cap space to spend $7 million on Rask? And once you have those teams, what teams would Rask actually allow a trade to?

It seems like a nearly impossible trade to make.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I want him moved regardless. He's a huge risk for a team with an aging core that needs to win now. It's a really strong free agent crop for goalies and they already have one of the best back-ups in the league signed who can handle 35/40 games with someone else. Cap space would be the big thing you'd look for coming back.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
SJ and MN trade for one year of him for one last Cup run?:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Oh, wait...MN is the team who traded Coyle for Donato.:(

Pertti

Dec 1, 2019
Win or lose, I would sell him but who would buy?
One of the best goalies in the league but you have to trusted not just talented.

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
I don’t think Rask plays another game for the Bruins. He was already a polarizing figure in Boston and now, well just Check out the Bruins board. LOTS of mixed reactions. Best thing for all would be to go the Big Buff route and try to trade for Georgiev type player and try to groom the next franchise tender

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I guess this means Krug is staying in Boston?

I'd be surprised if Jacobs already paid him his full salary from last year.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I want to preface this by saying I think its extremely unlikely that the Bruins move on from their franchise goalie, but in the interest of speculative fun...

Rask has 1 year left after this at $7m. Given the flat cap and a decent amount of quality UFAs (Holtby, Markstrom, Lehner) Rask likely doesn't bring much in trade value. The most valuable thing they'd get in return is cap space. Now lets say the Bruins win a couple rounds and Halak looks good. Maybe they feel like they're better off saving $3-4m by signing a guy like Greiss, or trading for Georgiev/Murray... even Lundqvist with 50% retention to rotate with Halak. What would the market look like for Rask?

You'd likely have Minnesota and San Jose interested, with the idea of giving their ageing cores one last shot with a Vezina goalie. Calgary and Edmonton could also believe they're a Rask away from cup contention. If Buffalo is all in to compete next year they'd be interested, but I doubt the Bruins would want to trade in division. Maybe Vancouver, if they can't agree to terms with Markstrom and want to wait another year before handing the reigns over to Demko. Then theres Carolina, a goalie of Rask's caliber would really go a long ways to make them true cup contenders.

Rask might make sense as a cheap trade or UFA as a plan B. Given Markstrom and Lehner are younger UFA available and the roster is quite young, I'd rather see them solve the goalie issue for a few years than go for a 1-2 year band-aid like Rask. OTOH, a 1 year deal with Rask maintains flexibility for negotiating with both Hamilton and Svechnikov for new contracts after 2021. Such a move also requires Carolina move one of Reimer or Mrazek to make space for such a UFA move or trade.

And all of that comes back to the elephant in the room: Carolina's goaltending hasn't been the issue in the Boston series. It's been the team in front of the goaltender, and trading for or signing Rask takes up a good portion of Carolina's space to add forwards this off-season.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
This seems like the man for Hurricanes. Also they wouldn't give anything to bruins.
While I don't Rask wouldn't mind that (lots of his friends in Carolina), I don't think Carolina has any reason to trade for him. Mrazek has posted better numbers in the past 3 weeks for less than 50 % of the caphit. And his career seems to be in a bit of an upswing, even if he isn't as consistent as Rask. But for a team like Carolina, you don't need the best possible goalie. A very good one will be more than enough to win.

After a career like this, I think it's up to him to decide whether he wants to continue in Boston or not:
upload_2020-8-17_15-52-25.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad