If Team Sweden was a NHL-team, would they win the cup?

apollo678

Oct 21, 2013
If you were trying to stay within cap constraints you could probably only take half that defense.
For me, my core would be:
Backstrom (6.7 million)
Forsberg (6)
Nylander (.9)
Karlsson (6.5)
Hedman (7.9)
Ekholm (3.8)
Markstrom (3.7)

Thats about 35.5 million. You have about 39 million left to spend.
I'd probably try to find 4 cheaper stay at home defensemen (like say Borgman of the Leafs for 1 million). So say 7 million spent to round out the D and backup goalie.
I have 32 million left for the remaining forwards.

I think it could be done.

Though next year Nylander would get large bump in salary (and Karlsson the year after that)...so this is a short term thing.

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I mean if anything the quesiton op poses is belitteling the swedish player crop. But sure if you want to create a thread asking if team canada would be able to win the cup go ahead, my bet is that everyone would agree.

It really is not belittling, on the contrary. It can't be belittling, once one specifies that the team is a) made up by the best of one of the top nations in hockey and b) it doesn't comply with the cap.
By point A & B, it's a foregone conclusion that such a team would win - so far everyone agrees with this. It's a question with only one answer (= "Yes, you win") and that's a flattering answer for Sweden. Hence, logically it can only be fishing for compliments.

I am bewildered by how you say that I want to create a similar thread about Canada, when I made perfectly clear that I believe that 1) asking a question with these parameters is rather asinine and 2) I already suggested that if one wants to make a thread with a question like this, one must make sure to ask for a cap compliant team (I even put that in all caps, for no one to miss the fact that it is an important - actually, paramount - aspect).

Last edited:

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
If anything it's the other way around, like psycat said. Just putting the question out there makes it like this could even be legitimately questioned to begin with, which it can't.

What's it to you if the OP's intent was to massage Swedish egos though?

I don't massage anyone's ego: it's not my style. I find it cringe worthy.
What's it to you if I am not appreciative of folks fishing for compliments?

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Sweden can hold their own against TC on the international stage, and you're wondering if they'd be a cup contender?

migi

Feb 25, 2015
That back-end provides Cup. Forwards are also pretty good, maybe not the best of the best superstar there but Bäcks, Nylander, Forsberg, Rakell are good enough.

Watch what Karlsson did for Ottawa. Then you have Hedman. And when he is off the ice, you got OEL. I mean cmon. Oh yes, Klingberg and Lindholm too.

CMON.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
Now make team Canada, also ignoring the cap, and you have your answer...

are you really so insecure that you need to post this? Its a fantasy land question. Correct, Canada is the supreme hockey nation. Maybe to be safe, we should just put that in every OP so guys like you dont need to come in and say dumb stuff like this. Better yet, how about we put it in the site's banner.

Reactions: JFG and TommySalo

BruinLVGA

Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
are you really so insecure that you need to post this? Its a fantasy land question. Correct, Canada is the supreme hockey nation. Maybe to be safe, we should just put that in every OP so guys like you dont need to come in and say dumb stuff like this. Better yet, how about we put it in the site's banner.
I am Swiss. I have no ties to Canada. Maybe read my next post to why I wrote that and you might understand why I wrote that (now, who's posted dumb stuff, between us? I'd say you, hands down...). Hope that will clear things up, but won't make you too insecure about posting another message. Lighten up, Francis, by the way. You are a touch too uptight.

stepdad gaary

Dec 5, 2011
I am Swiss. I have no ties to Canada. Maybe read my next post to why I wrote that and you might understand why I wrote that (now, who's posted dumb stuff, between us? I'd say you, hands down...). Hope that will clear things up, but won't make you too insecure about posting another message. Lighten up, Francis, by the way. You are a touch too uptight.

the thread is about whether or not Team X (happens to be a team composed entirely of swedish NHL players) would win the Stanley cup. Your response was tangential at BEST. A correct response would have been "yes, they would win the cup" or "no, they would not and heres why." You said "canada better."

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Unquestionably

Way above average forward group and probably a stronger group of defensemen than any NHL team has ever had.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Lets do every nation's team with cap compliance?
Why? Contracts are a pretty random thing and only have an impact in the NHL.

Any proper team would break through the cap roof.

Also ELCs would make it a stupid game.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Every national team from the big 6 would beat the contenders, but they would also be non-compliant to the salary cap.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Every national team from the big 6 would beat the contenders, but they would also be non-compliant to the salary cap.

Hmm...are you so sure about that? I'd question Czech Republic and to some extent Finland. The others, sure. They'd win.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Filip Forsberg - Nicklas Bäckström - William Nylander
Viktor Arvidsson - Mika Zibanejad - Rickard Rakell
Elias Lindholm - William Karlsson - Jakob Silfverberg
Gabriel Landeskog - Mikael Backlund - Patric Hörnqvist

Mattias Ekholm - Erik Karlsson
Hampus Lindholm - John Klingberg
Victor Hedman - Oliver Ekman Larsson

Henrik Lundqvist
Jacob Markström

Lets ignore that the cap even existst....

Was tough to leave out veterans like Sedins, Z, Loui etc....but i wanted young fast team....

Is this team good enough to win the cup? Does it have enough grit?
Pretty sure that they would be well over the $74 million cap.

$12 million in nets.
$35 million on starting D.
Back, Landy, Forsberg is $18 Mill. $65 already and still have 9 forwards.

So, against the other teams, yes they are good enough to win. Cause they have the salary cap advantage in your scenario.

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Very impressed with the lack of xenophobic bullshit in this thread. That team would put up 70s Habs type seasons.

Good job HF.

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
nope. a stacked team doesn't win you a cup in these days, a team with full effort does

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad