If team Finland would be a NHL team, would they win the cup?

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Mikko Rantanen - Aleksander Barkov (A) - Patrik Laine
Erik Haula - Mikko Koivu (C) - Mikael Granlund
Teuvo Teräväinen - Valtteri Filppula - Sebastian Aho
Joonas Donskoi - Leo Komarov (A) - Joel Armia

Olli Määttä - Rasmus Ristolainen
Esa Lindell - Sami Vatanen
Markus Nutivaara - Julius Honka

Pekka Rinne
Tuukka Rask
Antti Raanta

I think this is very young and hungry team with a great veteran and selke finalist captain. There are still missing some good players (feel free to add) but I think this is very solid team and could win the Stanley cup if this team would be a NHL team.

What do you think?

nobody

Aug 8, 2017
Top 6 looks very good, rest of the team looks mediocre with declining goaltending. Would probably challenge for playoffs though. Maybe.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
Not great D but some pretty good defensive forwards. Would be a solid playoff team but likely not a contender.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Top 6 looks very good, rest of the team looks mediocre with declining goaltending. Would probably challenge for playoffs though. Maybe.

Their 3th line is also top6 for sure! At least Teräväinen and Aho are playing first line in Carolina and doing really good.

Hint1k

Oct 27, 2017
This team has a good roster and can win the cup. However, it does not look unbeatable as Sweden team does (if this was the real question of the topic?)

The Podium

Feb 19, 2010
Toronto
Built like Toronto, 3 top 6 calibre forward lines, weak D, 8-12 range #1 G

Depending on who coaches theyd be a comfortable playoff team IMHO.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
This team has a good roster and can win the cup. However, it does not look unbeatable as Sweden team does (if this was the real question of the topic?)

I mean if this team would compete against other NHL teams. For sure Swedish team looks better.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
Built like Toronto, 3 top 6 calibre forward lines, weak D, 8-12 range #1 G

Depending on who coaches theyd be a comfortable playoff team IMHO.

I think this team has much better forwards than Toronto. The defence is pretty weak though. Rinne is elite and with Rask and Raanta there are 3 number one NHL goalies

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Like I said in the Sweden thread, with cap restraints it's hard to say. But they definitely couldn't ice that team.

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
Not quite yet, let’s see how Tolvanen, Puljujarvi and Heiskanen(and some other prospects) develop and Then we shall talk.

GnrlDisarray

Nov 21, 2017
On paper team Finland looks better than in years, at least forwards do. Defense is still lackluster to say the least. Damn shame we don't get to see any NHL players in the Olympics.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Is that team cap compliant?

I don't think they do as that defense is so weak and I don't think the forwards are good enough to make up for it.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Man, is that really how their defense looks these days? Wow. Gone are the days of Timonen and Numminen, I guess.

Just looked it up... those are literally all of Finland's NHL defensemen. Just enough of them to fill one team. I feel like they've usually had a deeper defense than that. Am I remembering incorrectly?

To answer the question, I think they're a team that would make the playoffs, probably, but I wouldn't call them favorites with that defense.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Like I said in the Sweden thread, with cap restraints it's hard to say. But they definitely couldn't ice that team.

Why not? The cap hit of those players is 70.768333. Finland doesn't have the same cap issues that Sweden had when picking their team. Sweden can easily ice a cap compliant team that would stomp the competition on the way to the cup but some really good players would be left off for cap reasons. If this is Finland's best team it's cap compliant, and I took a peak at some other players and this is pretty much it. Could add Lehkonen, and Markus Granlund as extras up front to make up the full 23 roster and still be cap compliant. Nobody is really missing.

As for whether it would win. I guess it could on the back of its forward depth, but I really wouldn't want to rely on that D to get it done.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Man, is that really how their defense looks these days? Wow. Gone are the days of Timonen and Numminen, I guess.

Just looked it up... those are literally all of Finland's NHL defensemen. Just enough of them to fill one team. I feel like they've usually had a deeper defense than that. Am I remembering incorrectly?

To answer the question, I think they're a team that would make the playoffs, probably, but I wouldn't call them favorites with that defense.

They used to have more good top 4-defenders like Sami Salo, Toni Lydman and Joni Pitkänen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad