Proposal: If Tampa wants to swing for the fences this year

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I think Tampa passes. Point will be cost controlled for a while. Tavares will not. Point is on the 2nd year of his ELC, and he's near a point per game pace.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
It would cost a lot more for than a conditional first for Tavares to sign.
I didn't realize Tavares signing requirements are impacted by how much we gut the team that he's joining...

If NYI trades him now, it's because they don't want to see him go and have no assets out of it. Getting someone like Point back would be a hell of a lot better than getting nothing.

But let's be real, if Tampa wants Johnny T, they explore options in free agency, not the deadline.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
It would cost a lot more for than a conditional first for Tavares to sign.

Point alone would be an incredible return. This isn't just some prospect, this is a 21 year old at nearly a point per game pace who'd mesh insanely well with Barzal. If the Islanders were offered Point, I think they'd take it.

Reactions: AndreRoy

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
No chance. If Tavares wants to come here on a dirt cheap contract we’ll get him in free agency.

Aoko

Order has now fallen.
Dec 14, 2017
No chance. If Tavares wants to come here on a dirt cheap contract we’ll get him in free agency.
Of course, but we would need to move salary to make that work. "Dirt cheap contract" is a bit ambitious.

I really want to just par the course, see what Tampa does in the playoffs, and if we fall short of winning the cup due to offense drying up, then I'd move Johnson and others to free up space and go for JT in free agency.

Our big need right now is to solidify our D. Tavares with Kucherov on the second line (which is hilarious to read, even more to say...) would be bonkers. But scoring certainly isn't our problem right now.

But yes, I'm one that would 100% move Point for Tavares. There aren't many other players I'd move him for though. McDonagh? Get the f*** out lol.

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

AndreRoy

Jan 3, 2018
Of course, but we would need to move salary to make that work. "Dirt cheap contract" is a bit ambitious.

I really want to just par the course, see what Tampa does in the playoffs, and if we fall short of winning the cup due to offense drying up, then I'd move Johnson and others to free up space and go for JT in free agency.

Our big need right now is to solidify our D. Tavares with Kucherov on the second line (which is hilarious to read, even more to say...) would be bonkers. But scoring certainly isn't our problem right now.

But yes, I'm one that would 100% move Point for Tavares. There aren't many other players I'd move him for though. McDonagh? Get the **** out lol.

There is no scenario where moving Point for Tavares makes sense. Tavares is a UFA this summer - not worth Point. If Tavares signs with us as a free agent we’ll have to clear salary to afford his contract - again, not Point given his cost controlled status.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad